Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Crazy woman verbally assaults telemarketer

Old 07-16-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Crazy woman verbally assaults telemarketer

http://crazytelemarketer.ytmnd.com/

With all the negativity towards telemarketers around here (and rightfully so), I figured people might want to get a taste of the "other side."

This is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time.
Old 07-16-06, 12:30 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

A telemarketer made my appendix rupture!

I used to be an EMT. People died because my answering machine was full!

You're a murderer! You're a hater! You're a terrorist! You're a Life Destroyer!

We have a list of deaths because of telemarketer calls!

I had a girlfriend that was gang-raped, then she had to move because of too many telemarketer calls!
Old 07-16-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dunno... sounds kinda fake to me.

If this were real, why would the telemarketer stay on the line to hear the woman going ape-shit?

I get extremely pissed with constant telemarketering calls, but I handle it in 3 ways... by hanging up, by saying "F-Off" and hanging up, or by keeping them on the line and freaking them out (and wasting their time) with my strange questions and comments.
Old 07-16-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Alot of times, no matter what is going on w/ the customer, the telemarketers are trained to stay on the phone.
Old 07-16-06, 02:21 PM

Why would you get off the phone? People losing it would be the most exciting part of a totallly shit job. I worked in a call centre (incoming calls no way would I want to call people and try to sell them stuff) and the angry customers were the only break in the monotony.
Old 07-16-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, I've worked these type of jobs and the crazy people sometimes were the most entertaining.
Old 07-16-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Angry customers indeed. I've worked in my share of call centers (inbound calls only) and have had a few interesting conversations. I had this guy one time call in to order a digital camera and during the order process he proceeds to pee in the toilet without even a hesitation in his conversation, you could hear everything. I should've told him he's gonna need to order a bigger zoom lens... That or he called the wrong hotline...
Old 07-16-06, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't feel like taking the time to download that (I'm on dialup), but I can figure out what happened.

And I talk to telemarketers. I'll listen to their script, ask a bunch of questions, ask about the weather, whatever. Five minutes is normal, my record is a little over fifteen minutes (was argueing with a fireman about whether all homes should have carbon monoxide detectors or not). Pissing in a toilet? That's so old-school though it's always a goodie ("hold on just a moment, I have to do something quick" and then put the phone close to the toilet to make sure they hear it well). Or flirt with them, or whatever. Of course I *never* buy anything from a telemarketer (nor from anybody who knocks on my door).

Oddly enough, I only get a telemarketing call maybe once every few weeks now. And I'm not on the government's do-not-call list, though I'm pretty sure I'm on certain company's do-not-call lists.

Last edited by Heat; 07-16-06 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-17-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The do-not-call list was the best thing the government's done in years.

That said, someone who makes a living annoying other people has no grounds to complain when they get cussed out or yelled at for interrupting another person's life.
Old 07-17-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I try to give the poor losers something to talk about on break.
"[what you are selling] is the work of the Devil! I'm going to pray for you!"
"Uh... yeah.... I'll go for that. Can you send me thirty cases? I'll get my doctor to sign for it....what is it again?"
"Is that you, Joe? You sound like Joe. Did you ever get that penile implant you were talking about?"

etc.
Old 07-17-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Vibiana
The do-not-call list was the best thing the government's done in years.
... if it actually worked - I've asked to be put on "do not call" lists at least a hundred times over the last 6 years, and I still get about 2 phone solicitations a day. Not all of these companies work off of the same lists, and most don't even have such lists.
Old 07-17-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by slop101
... if it actually worked - I've asked to be put on "do not call" lists at least a hundred times over the last 6 years, and I still get about 2 phone solicitations a day. Not all of these companies work off of the same lists, and most don't even have such lists.
I think she means the Federal Do Not Call registry: https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

I haven't gotten a telemarketing call in years.
Old 07-17-06, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
I think she means the Federal Do Not Call registry: https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

Same here
Old 07-17-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I knew what she meant - I registered on that site a few years ago, to no avail - FWIW, 90% of the calls I get are from mortgage companies, which I don't think use the Federal do-not-call lists.
Old 07-17-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Certain companies don't have to use it, and if you've had any prior 'business relationship' with them within X time frame [2 years?] it doesn't apply.
I work in a call center, so I wouldn't get angry at them as long as they're professional [that AOL one, yeah, he'd get it.]. If I even answer the phone, I say 'no thanks' once, give them an opportunity to say '"Okay, thanks for your time, have a good day.", then hang up. Although next time I think I'll do that, then instead of hanging up, just put the phone down. We've cancelled our landline, though, and we haven't started getting calls on our cells yet [if we do, *then* I would be angry].
Old 07-17-06, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

that was great! loved how she tried to piss him off and he shrugged it off, only pissing her off more eventually trying to make him feel guilty over not having dinner with his family.

that telemarketer was awesome. i hate most of them but he was great.
Old 07-17-06, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus

Have you gotten a call for a survey? I now get several a month. I've been blowing them off, but was curious why so many companies and "associations" are suddenly interested in my opinion. Then I heard on a radio show last week that telemarketers are using the surveys to get around the Do Not Call list, by asking bogus survey questions then hitting you up to buy something at the end. Apparently they are able to do this because the FTC, which controls the national registry, does not have jurisdiction over surveys.
Old 07-17-06, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TexasGuy
Have you gotten a call for a survey? I now get several a month. I've been blowing them off, but was curious why so many companies and "associations" are suddenly interested in my opinion. Then I heard on a radio show last week that telemarketers are using the surveys to get around the Do Not Call list, by asking bogus survey questions then hitting you up to buy something at the end. Apparently they are able to do this because the FTC, which controls the national registry, does not have jurisdiction over surveys.
I said this before the leist even started. Always leave a loophole when passing a law, this seems to be the motto of the US Congress.

When is telemarketing going to be recognized as trespassing?
Old 07-17-06, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I still get several calls a week. Way lower than before "Do Not Call", but not even close to zero.

Calls are for 'surveys', companies that I've had previous business with, charities, and political candidates. It definitely adds up to a few a week.

Not a huge deal. I don't answer the phone at all when I'm busy (eating or something). That's why the good lord made voice mail. And if I do pick up, I give a quick "no thanks, please remove me from your list" and hang up. Takes about 10 seconds.
Old 07-18-06, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And if I do pick up, I give a quick "no thanks, please remove me from your list" and hang up. Takes about 10 seconds.
Well here is the latest, when you say this they remove you from their do not call list. That is what you asked for, unless you specifically ask to be placed on their do not call list and not to ever be called again.
Old 07-18-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Well here is the latest, when you say this they remove you from their do not call list. That is what you asked for, unless you specifically ask to be placed on their do not call list and not to ever be called again.
But if you were not on the do not call list to begin with, why would they be calling you if they were going by that list to take you off of it?

BTW, here is one of my favorite calls:
http://www.techcomedy.com/calls/mouse.mp3

Last edited by calhoun07; 07-18-06 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-18-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I monitor inbound calls for a living. This was pretty good. I wouldn't evaluate this call but would probobly go take calls for this guy for 15 minutes and give him a break after this.
Old 07-18-06, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Certain companies don't have to use it, and if you've had any prior 'business relationship' with them within X time frame [2 years?] it doesn't apply.
I work in a call center, so I wouldn't get angry at them as long as they're professional [that AOL one, yeah, he'd get it.]. If I even answer the phone, I say 'no thanks' once, give them an opportunity to say '"Okay, thanks for your time, have a good day.", then hang up. Although next time I think I'll do that, then instead of hanging up, just put the phone down. We've cancelled our landline, though, and we haven't started getting calls on our cells yet [if we do, *then* I would be angry].
Same here. I give them the benefit of the doubt and give them a chance to respond about ending the call in a pleasant fashion(i.e. thanks anyway, have a good day, etc.) when I say I'm not interested. If they throw in the "but" and/or continue the spiel then *click.*
Old 07-19-06, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Download it here:

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/0/4...8b8e0ffcf8.mp3

I don't find that funny at all. If anything, it's more sad and pathetic. If that's an honest to God real recording, then I really feel sorry for her, since she's obviously insane. I bet people just love being around her.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 07-19-06 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-19-06, 01:18 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like this Alex is having a good time

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.