Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Beer baron Coors loses license for DUI

Old 07-15-06, 04:22 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 12,008
Beer baron Coors loses license for DUI

Beer baron Peter Coors' driver's license has been revoked by a hearing officer who ruled the executive had been driving under the influence of alcohol, officials said.

Hearing officer Scott Garber ruled Friday that Coors did not stop at a stop sign on May 28 and was driving intoxicated.

Coors, 59, said he had consumed a beer about 30 minutes before leaving a wedding, the Rocky Mountain News reported Saturday. He faces a July 20 arraignment and has 30 days to appeal the revocation.


"I made a mistake. I should have planned ahead for a ride," Coors said in a statement. "For years, I've advocated the responsible use of our company's products."

Coors' spokeswoman, Kabira Hatland, said Coors was charged with driving while under the influence. Coors' lawyer, Steve Higgens, did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Hatland said that Coors rolled through a stop sign a block from his home in Golden and that an officer stopped him in his driveway.

In one breath test, he registered a blood alcohol level of 0.073 percent. In a second, 20 minutes later, he registered 0.088. In Colorado a blood alcohol count of 0.05 results in a driving while impaired charge, while a count of 0.08 results in driving under the influence.

Legal analyst Scott Robinson said drivers with no previous alcohol convictions are usually held to have driven while impaired, rather than the more serious driving while under the influence. A DWI finding can result in a loss of driving privileges for 90 days; DUI can result in suspension for a year.

Peter Coors "has never even had a moving violation," said Coors spokeswoman Kabira Hatland.

Coors took over as president of his family's company in 1987 and in 2000 was named chief executive of the brewer, with 8,500 employees and $4 billion in sales in 2003. Following a 2005 merger, it is now the Molson Coors Brewing Co.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060715/...ltBHNlYwM3MTY-

Ouch. What a tool. First of all, he has "a beer" which results in a .088 BAL. If he was drinking Coors Light, the math would seem to show that he would have had to have had 3 cases to reach that level.

Secondly, thanks for those heartfelt anti-DUI commercials, Pete. "Drink Coors responsibly. If you can't, make sure you lie."
Mad Dawg is offline  
Old 07-15-06, 04:54 PM
  #2  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 20,828
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060715/...ltBHNlYwM3MTY-

Ouch. What a tool. First of all, he has "a beer" which results in a .088 BAL. If he was drinking Coors Light, the math would seem to show that he would have had to have had 3 cases to reach that level.

Secondly, thanks for those heartfelt anti-DUI commercials, Pete. "Drink Coors responsibly. If you can't, make sure you lie."
3 cases? More like 5 beers in an hour.
The Cow is online now  
Old 07-15-06, 05:03 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Too bad he didn't get elected. Then he could have just said he was late for a vote.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 07-15-06, 05:09 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lower Gum Curve
Posts: 19,038
Glad to see Rex Banner was on the case!

Jason is offline  
Old 07-15-06, 05:12 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
nevermind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Illinoyze
Posts: 10,514
Originally Posted by The Cow
3 cases? More like 5 beers in an hour.
That buzzing sound just above your head?

Yeah - that was the joke going by.
nevermind is offline  
Old 07-15-06, 05:24 PM
  #6  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 20,828
Originally Posted by nevermind
That buzzing sound just above your head?

Yeah - that was the joke going by.
Yup, totally missed it. I've been drinking too much today.
The Cow is online now  
Old 07-15-06, 05:28 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
nevermind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Illinoyze
Posts: 10,514
nevermind is offline  
Old 07-15-06, 05:38 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 8,494
Just let me be the first to say...

OWNED!!!!
Joe Molotov is offline  
Old 07-15-06, 08:26 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Working for Gizmonic Institute
Posts: 10,430
Originally Posted by The article
In one breath test, he registered a blood alcohol level of 0.073 percent. In a second, 20 minutes later, he registered 0.088. In Colorado a blood alcohol count of 0.05 results in a driving while impaired charge, while a count of 0.08 results in driving under the influence.
So according to the first test, he wasn't legally impaired at the time he was driving, it took him 20 more minutes, spent in his driveway to go .008 over the limit.

*edit Just saw it is .05! wtf a goddam certs could put you over that.

Nevertheless, take him below for the makings. 20 lashes. Prepare to kiss the gunner's daughter..

Last edited by crazyronin; 07-15-06 at 08:29 PM.
crazyronin is offline  
Old 07-16-06, 02:22 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: a mile high, give or take a few feet
Posts: 13,437
I wonder if he always drinks Coors products. Coors has Killian's, which is decent, but most of it sucks. I couldn't imagine going through life only drinking their brews.
mndtrp is offline  
Old 07-16-06, 02:45 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
I drink Coors.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 07-16-06, 09:14 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,852
Coors Light is water.
The Bus is offline  
Old 07-16-06, 10:16 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,839
How about a different spin...

In my company getting a DUI would probably get you fired on the spot. If you were in a company car, company rental or on company business it would always be an automatic firing. If you were in your own car and not working you still likely would get fired but there would at least be a discussion....

I'd bet that Coors has a similar policy for its employees...but being his name is Coors, wonder if it will make a difference.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 07-16-06, 10:41 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Shackled
Posts: 35,372
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
How about a different spin...

In my company getting a DUI would probably get you fired on the spot. If you were in a company car, company rental or on company business it would always be an automatic firing. If you were in your own car and not working you still likely would get fired but there would at least be a discussion....

I'd bet that Coors has a similar policy for its employees...but being his name is Coors, wonder if it will make a difference.
You think it is possible he's not simply an employee, but more likely an owner?
Bushdog is offline  
Old 07-16-06, 10:42 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Shackled
Posts: 35,372
Originally Posted by mndtrp
I wonder if he always drinks Coors products. Coors has Killian's, which is decent, but most of it sucks. I couldn't imagine going through life only drinking their brews.
For 10's of millions, I would get Coors tatooed on my chest and only drink their stuff.
Bushdog is offline  
Old 07-16-06, 10:45 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Shackled
Posts: 35,372
Originally Posted by crazyronin
So according to the first test, he wasn't legally impaired at the time he was driving, it took him 20 more minutes, spent in his driveway to go .008 over the limit.

*edit Just saw it is .05! wtf a goddam certs could put you over that.

Nevertheless, take him below for the makings. 20 lashes. Prepare to kiss the gunner's daughter..
They drove him around to get it from DWAI to DUI. I've heard of cops doing that for shits and giggles. Wait for the alcohol to hit the blood to increase the penalty.
Bushdog is offline  
Old 07-16-06, 11:28 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 17,205
Originally Posted by Bushdog
You think it is possible he's not simply an employee, but more likely an owner?
He's held to a higher standard then.
ChiTownAbs, Inc is offline  
Old 07-16-06, 12:54 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Originally Posted by The Bus
Coors Light is water.
I prefer watery beer.

I drink for the buzz, not for the taste. If it were about taste, I would rather have Kool Aid.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 07-16-06, 01:29 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Posts: 29,699
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I drink for the buzz, not for the taste. If it were about taste, I would rather have Kool Aid.
odd
I've never been able to drink enough glasses/cans fast enough to get a buzz off light beer
so it actually is possible?
mikehunt is offline  
Old 07-16-06, 03:23 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,839
Originally Posted by Bushdog
You think it is possible he's not simply an employee, but more likely an owner?
No doubt, but how can you enforce a policy that the owner of the company does not actually follow?

I'm sure it will be all internal, but I would love to see what he actually does within the company. I think if I were him I would immediately fess up, start up additional "drink responsibly" campaigns, talk open and honestly about how lucky he was not to have hurt someone one or himself. Maybe team up with MADD or something, etc, etc.

Of course our company CEO's, leaders, etc are not perfect. The big question comes what happens next.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 07-16-06, 03:26 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,839
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I prefer watery beer.

I drink for the buzz, not for the taste. If it were about taste, I would rather have Kool Aid.
You are missing out.

There have been many "favorite beer" threads and also check out this one I started a bit ago,

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....s+for+home+bar

Pick out something and try it. You might be surprised!
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 07-16-06, 03:39 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: BV VA
Posts: 6,070
Originally Posted by The Bus
Coors Light is water.

But still has as much alcohol in it as any domestic non-ice type beer. Whether it tastes like water or not it'll get ya drunk. Just like Samuel L. Jackson beer.

mmmmmmmmmmmm Bitch.


kantonburg is offline  
Old 07-17-06, 01:28 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: a mile high, give or take a few feet
Posts: 13,437
The nice thing about Coors Light, is you can drink a case without getting a hangover. Granted, you don't really get a buzz either.

It would seem wiser to get a beer that has more alcohol and better taste. Win/win.
mndtrp is offline  
Old 07-17-06, 06:42 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Shackled
Posts: 35,372
Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
He's held to a higher standard then.
Enjoying fantsayland much? Are you claiming that company owners are held to higher standards than their employees? It si statements like this that make me forget that you're in your 30s.
Bushdog is offline  
Old 07-17-06, 06:43 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Shackled
Posts: 35,372
Originally Posted by mikehunt
odd
I've never been able to drink enough glasses/cans fast enough to get a buzz off light beer
so it actually is possible?
Apparently yes, if you're a woman, or kvrdave.
Bushdog is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.