Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: What would you do after breaking an item while grocery shopping?
Ring it up...
21.43%
I didn't do it, Nobody saw me do it, You can't prove anything
50.00%
Nothing breaks around me
10.71%
Obviously the aliens made me do it, blame them
17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Break it and you bought it, apply to groceries?

Old 07-15-06, 01:24 AM

Break it and you bought it, apply to groceries?

After reading the great beanie baby theft from a thrift store thread a thought I had while picking up milk earlier came to mind. If someone drops a container of milk due to a case of butterfingers how likely are they to bring it up to be rung up to pay for it?

The first container I picked up nearly slipped from my hands when someone bumped into my cart but after recovering I was relieved to have been spared an extra dollar or two to purchase a two rather than the one intended. Given I did not even get so much as an excuse me or sorry for impacting my cart hard enough to almost drop what I was holding it is doubtful their concern would be to cover the cost of spilt milk should it happen to them.

To be honest I have not to my knowledge ever broken anything while in a store to officially claim I would indeed bring it up with me to be rung up along with my other purchases but it strikes me as the proper course of action, how about you?
Old 07-15-06, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Grocery stores usually won't make you pay. The pricing structure already takes into account a small percentage that never get sold for one reason or another, i.e. accidents, spoilage/expiration, damaged.
Old 07-15-06, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

None of your answers apply--they don't expect you to pay for accidentally broken stuff at a grocery store. If you knock over 6 cases of beer bottles right in front of the store manager, they'll just call someone to clean it up.
Old 07-15-06, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So I've been running and hiding in the cold room for no reason?
Old 07-15-06, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The grocer would prefer you come back and keep buying from them instead of worrying about a $3 gallon of milk or a $0.35 yogurt.
Old 07-15-06, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Having worked my entire teenage work career in grocery stores, and on ocassion being the cleanup in aisle 3 guy, you never should have to pay for something you drop in a grocery store (as long as it's not on purpose). That's accounted for in "shrink" or loss of product due to accidents/etc.
Old 07-15-06, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was under the impression that you could not be forced to pay for something you break on accident in a store, even if they do have those signs. Someone here may know for sure.

I suppose you could make the offer to pay, to ease any guilt you may feel. I just offer to help clean up the mess. They usually decline.
Old 07-15-06, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm kind of surprised that no one has mentioned that most grocery stores won't require you to pay for broken items.
Old 07-15-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

However .... eat it, and it's yours!
Old 07-15-06, 10:46 AM

Well, did not honestly thing they could force you to pay but I was 1:30am and imagined the responses would be entertaining. It is surprising though how few people have mentioned you do not need to pay for broken items though.
Old 07-15-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The cashier punctured a gallon of milk somewhere on the counter when I was checking out last month and it sprayed all over the floor and myself. I wasn't paying for that.

If I had caused the break I would have offered to pay but the store probably would have replaced it free of charge any way.
Old 07-15-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What about if you are loading your groceries into your car and, at no fault to the bagger, you drop something and it breaks in the parking lot. Go back in and replace the broken item for free?
Old 07-15-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Many stores will do just that.
Old 07-15-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On the other hand, if you lick an item, you bought it.
Old 07-15-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

they dont make you pay.
Old 07-15-06, 04:28 PM

I broke three bottles of green tea at a gas station and didn't pay. I pulled one bottle of the rack and their shelves were so dramatically slanted the next one in slide down so fast it flipped over the rail, then another followed, then another...it happened so fast I didn't have time to react. The lady cleaned it up and said not to worry about it, it's happened before. Maybe its time for them to adjust their shelf.

Last edited by Lee Harvey Oswald; 07-15-06 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-15-06, 04:31 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

The worst is spaghetti sauce in those glass jars. It makes a nasty pop sound when it cracks and spills sauce everywhere. Not that I'd know from experience or anything.
Old 07-15-06, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Talzin
cover the cost of spilt milk should it happen to them.

Just so you make sure you don't cry over it.
Old 07-15-06, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald
I break three bottles of green tea at a gas station and didn't pay. I pulled one bottle of the rack and their shelves were so dramatically slanted the next one in slide down so fast it flipped over the rail, then another followed, then another...it happened so fast I didn't have time to react. The lady cleaned it up and said not to worry about it, it's happened before. Maybe its time for them to adjust their shelf.
Well, if you would have put your rifle down in your other hand, thereby freeing both hands, you could've prevented it!
Old 07-15-06, 05:59 PM

The poll is inaccurate. The store won't make you pay for the broken items.
Old 07-15-06, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I worked at WalMart I broke stuff and they didnt make me pay for it.

Once I punctured a can of soda on the thing that held the bags....lots o fun
Old 07-15-06, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Stores can NOT make you pay for broken items. Even antique stores that post such a sign can't. This is fact.

Once I was in line at World Market and I had a 12 bottle box of "Beers of the World" and a few other things. The cashier was really slow and I suddenly felt the box bottom just open up.

So there was 12 bottles of beer on the wall, errr, floor and they said "that's okay, just grab another box" and I did.
Old 07-16-06, 12:17 AM

You break something in a grocery store, you should take it up to the counter for a discount on the damaged item that some silly bastard fucked up while you were not around.
Old 07-16-06, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never paid for anything I have broken in a store. I've even had something similar to Buford's experience, except I was walking to my car at that point. I was just going to clean it up for the liqour store, but they gave me another box for free.
Old 07-16-06, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You break something and the cost of the good is charged back to the original vendor. No loss for the store.