Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Thrift Store Dilemma

Old 07-14-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thrift Store Dilemma

Okay - I volunteer time at a local Catholic thrift store and something odd happened this week. A family of 5 came in (Mom, Dad, oldest son 13ish, daughter 9ish and youngest son 6ish). Well the youngest makes a B-line to a basket full of Beanie Babies and starts pulling them out making his selection. His mother walks by and tells him no way - put them back. Mom continues to do her shopping and the father has the boy select 3 that he wants and has the child put them up to his chest, turn his back to the cashier and walk to the door. I immediately know what's up and head that direction. The father sees me coming and pulls his youngest son behind him as to keep his activities from view. I ask the father "Are you planning on paying for those?". "No hable" was his reply. So I stand there rather dumbfounded and turn to the mother and say "Are you planning on paying for those, or are you going to let your son steal them?" "No hable" was her reply as well.

At this point the moral dilemma hit me. These things are $2.00 a piece - these people are here because they don't have much money, maybe I'll just let it go, so I do.

So I look at them and say "you're teaching your son bad habits" and walk away. It's not like I work there, I just help out - everything is donated anyway.

Then I look out the window and watch as these fucktards load up into a Cadillac Escalade and drive off.

WTF man..........?
Old 07-14-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You should call the cops on them.

Also, your thread title sounds like a Jim Jarmusch film.
Old 07-14-06, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you know, you're right about that.....
Old 07-14-06, 02:05 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
That's messed up.
Old 07-14-06, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dude you got Pwned!
Old 07-14-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bandoman
That's messed up.
Indeed.....
Old 07-14-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by namrufmot
Dude you got Pwned!

How so?
Old 07-14-06, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

$2 for a used Beanie baby? They should call the cops on you!

Just kidding. It's too bad that he is teaching his kid how to steal, but you are better off just letting it go. Maybe if they come in again you can appeal to the 6 year old, since there is still hope for him and he is not yet fully corrupted. Maybe just say "God is watching you" as he walks out the door with the stolen merchandise.

Last edited by Quatermass; 07-14-06 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-14-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't set the prices man - I just carry out the new inventory and straighten things up.....
Old 07-14-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Call INS.
Old 07-14-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I'm going to enroll at the local Community College to learn to speak Spanish. I've always wanted to learn and it seems there has been an ever growing population in town lately. That and apply for my conceal and carry.....
Old 07-14-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I used to frequent thrift stores all the time and I couldn't believe the number of thefts I've witnessed there. People putting stuff in the pockets of clothing and then buying the clothes, etc. It's crazy - if you're going to risk the crime, why not steal from an expensive store?
Also, in my experience, most of the people shopping at the thrift stores were not needy (myself included). I've seen Lexuses and Mercedes Benzes in the parking lot.
Old 07-14-06, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Am I the only one that is wondering WTH "No Hable" means?

Off to google "No hable"....

EDIT TO ADD:

Back.. "No Speak"?
Old 07-14-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No ensena tu hijos a robar.

Or, in English, "Don't teach your children to steal."

I applaud you, by the way. I have every sympathy for people who are struggling to survive, but stealing is wrong for any reason except to sustain life. No kid ever died from Beanie Baby deprivation.
Old 07-14-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Minor Threat
How so?
As far as I can tell they duped you into thinking they were poor immigrants (dollars to donuts they spoke English)...next time kick him in the crotch and say "No Pelotas"
Old 07-14-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by namrufmot
As far as I can tell they duped you into thinking they were poor immigrants (dollars to donuts they spoke English)...next time kick him in the crotch and say "No Pelotas"
I guess I didn't really care if they were poor or not, I just thought it was sad that their 6 year old kid was being taught to be dishonest.

The thrift store is all donated items where the person dropping items off receives a tax receipt to use when they itemize for tax time. I looked at it as it didnt cost anything so the store doesn't really lose anything except the potential to make a buck or two and subsidize their charity.

I would venture a guess that they did speak English as well.....

The whole thing really left a bad taste in my mouth.....
Old 07-14-06, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Originally Posted by Quatermass
...Maybe just say "God is watching you" as he walks out the door with the stolen merchandise.
Actually, since they claimed "no habla", you'd have to say "DIOS TE ESTÁ MIRANDO." in a deep booming voice, preferably over the store's PA system.
Old 07-14-06, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think people who steal from thrift stores are the lowest of the low. Thrift stores are usually trying to raise money for a cause, and rarely have insurance to cover losses.

Teach the kid to shoplift from Wal-Mart or something. Geez.
Old 07-14-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
I think people who steal from thrift stores are the lowest of the low. Thrift stores are usually trying to raise money for a cause, and rarely have insurance to cover losses.

Teach the kid to shoplift from Wal-Mart or something. Geez.
And tell him to stick to $25 items or less...

Some Leeway for the Small Shoplifter

By MICHAEL BARBARO
Published: July 13, 2006

Wal-Mart refuses to carry smutty magazines. It will not sell compact discs with obscene lyrics. And when it catches customers shoplifting — even a pair of socks or a pack of cigarettes — it prosecutes them.

But now, in a rare display of limited permissiveness, Wal-Mart is letting thieves off the hook — at least in cases involving $25 or less.

According to internal documents, the company, the nation’s largest retailer and leading destination for shoplifting, will no longer prosecute first-time thieves unless they are between 18 and 65 and steal merchandise worth at least $25, putting the chain in line with the policies of many other retailers.

Under the new policy, a shoplifter caught trying to swipe, say, a DVD of the movie “Basic Instinct 2” ($16.87) would receive a warning, but one caught walking out of the store with “E.R. — The Complete Fifth Season” ($32.87) would face arrest.

Wal-Mart said the change would allow it to focus on theft by professional shoplifters and its own employees, who together steal the bulk of merchandise from the chain every year, rather than the teenager who occasionally takes a candy bar from the checkout counter.

Wal-Mart said the change would allow it to focus on theft by professional shoplifters and its own employees, who together steal the bulk of merchandise from the chain every year, rather than the teenager who occasionally takes a candy bar from the checkout counter.

[More]
Old 07-15-06, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Quatermass
Also, in my experience, most of the people shopping at the thrift stores were not needy (myself included). I've seen Lexuses and Mercedes Benzes in the parking lot.
Totally true, aside from my car everytime I hit the cheapest thift store in town every other car is super expensive.
Old 07-15-06, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would just say " Habla Police" and detain them if they refused to pay the money.
Old 07-15-06, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Dilemna?
Old 07-15-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's all the Spanish you needed to know in that situation: I.N.S.
Old 07-15-06, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

These people will burn in Hell.
Old 07-15-06, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by NCMojo
Here's all the Spanish you needed to know in that situation: I.N.S.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.