Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Car rear-ended me at red light and drove off ... advice needed

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Car rear-ended me at red light and drove off ... advice needed

Old 07-12-06, 06:56 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
A-aron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as achau9598 - Baltimore, MD
Posts: 5,718
Car rear-ended me at red light and drove off ... advice needed

ok .. so I'm stopped at a red light and the light turns green .. before the car in front of me moves, the car behind me moves and hits me. We proceed through the light (we are turning), and I try to get him to pull over .. he drives away ..

I've called the police and filed a report .. he says he didn't hit me, but the indentions of his license plate number says otherwise. Add to the fact that my left shoulder and neck are hurting, so I've called my doctor ..

Now, before I contact my insurance company .. what should I do? Should I call a lawyer? Am I in line for damages here, especially now that it is a hit-and-run?
A-aron is offline  
Old 07-12-06, 07:02 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Kittydreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 13,611
OMG are you ok???
Kittydreamer is offline  
Old 07-12-06, 07:05 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 21,398
Do you have uninsured motorist on your insurance? Out here in California it's practically mandatory because lots of folks have no insurance.. or license.. or green card...
General Zod is offline  
Old 07-12-06, 07:07 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Hell - see you when you get here.
Posts: 1,580
so you need to contact the cops - which you did.
It would be good to have some witnesses that can calloborate your story. Otherwise it's your word against his.
Contact your insurance company and let them know what happened.
Oraphus is offline  
Old 07-12-06, 07:12 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
A-aron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as achau9598 - Baltimore, MD
Posts: 5,718
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
OMG are you ok???

other than the fact that my lower back feels super tight, and my shoulder/neck hurts .. i'm ok..
A-aron is offline  
Old 07-12-06, 07:14 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
A-aron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as achau9598 - Baltimore, MD
Posts: 5,718
Originally Posted by Oraphus
so you need to contact the cops - which you did.
It would be good to have some witnesses that can calloborate your story. Otherwise it's your word against his.
Contact your insurance company and let them know what happened.
I don't have witnesses, but I do have a photo of my bumper where you can see the marks from his plates .. you can make out the upper parts of the the first 3 letters of his tag.

should I wait until I get more info back from the police before I call the insurance, or do I call them now and then pass along more info later?
A-aron is offline  
Old 07-12-06, 07:15 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Kittydreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 13,611
Originally Posted by achau9598
other than the fact that my lower back feels super tight, and my shoulder/neck hurts .. i'm ok..
You should go to the ER. Now.
Kittydreamer is offline  
Old 07-12-06, 07:29 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,533
Yep. And make sure the police put in their report that you were hurt. Even a little.

Because next week, if things get worse, you could get screwed by your insurance company. They could say you were never hurt in the accident and refuse to cover you.
nodeerforamonth is offline  
Old 07-12-06, 07:33 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
A-aron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as achau9598 - Baltimore, MD
Posts: 5,718
thank goodness my local Patient First is an urgent care ... I'm going to go there now ...
A-aron is offline  
Old 07-12-06, 08:28 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
McHawkson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: America Empire
Posts: 14,752
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
You should go to the ER. Now.
You could at least offer him a boob massage.
McHawkson is offline  
Old 07-12-06, 08:35 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 7,770
Originally Posted by achau9598
ok .. so I'm stopped at a red light and the light turns green .. before the car in front of me moves, the car behind me moves and hits me.

...Add to the fact that my left shoulder and neck are hurting, so I've called my doctor ..
um...not to be inconsiderate but he hit you starting from rest...how bad are you hurt?
atari2600 is offline  
Old 07-12-06, 08:36 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 7,770
Originally Posted by achau9598
ok .. so I'm stopped at a red light and the light turns green .. before the car in front of me moves, the car behind me moves and hits me. We proceed through the light (we are turning), and I try to get him to pull over .. he drives away ..

I've called the police and filed a report .. he says he didn't hit me, but the indentions of his license plate number says otherwise. Add to the fact that my left shoulder and neck are hurting, so I've called my doctor ..

Now, before I contact my insurance company .. what should I do? Should I call a lawyer? Am I in line for damages here, especially now that it is a hit-and-run?
another question, if he drove off, when did he say he didnt hit you? obviously a lie but how did you contact him?
atari2600 is offline  
Old 07-12-06, 08:58 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,196
Originally Posted by achau9598

Now, before I contact my insurance company .. what should I do? Should I call a lawyer? Am I in line for damages here, especially now that it is a hit-and-run?

here in NYC on the russian cable channel there is this guy advertising himself. if you get into an accident you call him first and he arrives at the scene. he is not a lawyer, but he will represent you and tell you exactly what to say since if you say the wrong thing it can mean no money compensation. then he recommends you a lawyer who will win money for you.
al_bundy is offline  
Old 07-12-06, 09:13 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
A-aron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as achau9598 - Baltimore, MD
Posts: 5,718
Originally Posted by atari2600
another question, if he drove off, when did he say he didnt hit you? obviously a lie but how did you contact him?
I called the police to file a report .. they were able to go to him based on his tag # .. when they spoke to him he said that he did not hit me and that I was lying.

The officer came back to me and told me this, and said that I it was my choice if I wanted them to cite him for hit-and-run, which would mean it would have to go to court. I told him yes, of course.

As for how bad I am hurt, I am very sore. The doctor said that it doesn't take much of a hit to have discomfort. He is calling it mild whiplash and gave me some meds. He also said it could be 10-12 days before the discomfort goes away.
A-aron is offline  
Old 07-12-06, 09:15 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,451
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
OMG are you ok???
Look at his Xbox username. I think he'll be fine. j/k

-----

But seriously, I wouldn't jump on a lawyer just yet. Get the criminal conviction in the court first. Civil damages will come later. You're just going to spend a shitload more money on atty fees if you hire one now.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 07-12-06, 09:15 PM
  #16  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 525
? How hard did he hit you? Assuming he is the kind of driver in a hurry he was probably close to you to begin with... It seems dificult to get more than 3 to 4mph, maybe 5....
Isn't it true, that the night in question, you had a few beers before the supposed incident happened? Tell the members of the forum how you are just trying to get compensation for those supposed injuries, when in reality THERE ARE NO INJURIES.

I want the truth!

"You can't handle the truth!"







Last edited by elperdido; 07-12-06 at 09:19 PM.
elperdido is offline  
Old 07-12-06, 09:30 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 7,770
hope you feel bettr and good luck getting this asshole to pay.
atari2600 is offline  
Old 07-12-06, 09:39 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,207
I hate shits like this.

I've found myself to be an angry person when people do things like this. I'd like to channel that anger.....so i knit!!! Ok, not really, but if I had 2 pointy sticks, i'd probably gouge his eyes and stab him in the leg, so I could kick him in the ass when he tries to run away!!

-p
NotThatGuy is offline  
Old 07-12-06, 09:52 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Kittydreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 13,611
Originally Posted by McHawkson
You could at least offer him a boob massage.
You want me to rub his boobs???
Kittydreamer is offline  
Old 07-12-06, 09:52 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
gryffinmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ancient City
Posts: 6,538
Damn, sounds like you are getting screwed in the rear with this.

Go to the doctor and have everything checked out. Be sure to include with that you eventually received medical attention (evidence supporting the fact) and that you were definitely injured. Then hope for the best and call the insurance company. It sounds like you got his license plate number and can get in contact with him. That's a lot more than some people can claim out of that situation. Good luck getting the damages paid. And don't get overly stressed with the situation, because it could further strain your injuries.

EDIT: Not certain about the lawyer. Hopefully other otters can help with that info.

Last edited by gryffinmaster; 07-12-06 at 09:54 PM.
gryffinmaster is offline  
Old 07-12-06, 09:53 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Kittydreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 13,611
Originally Posted by achau9598
thank goodness my local Patient First is an urgent care ... I'm going to go there now ...
Drop me a line and let me know how you're doing, ok?
Kittydreamer is offline  
Old 07-12-06, 09:54 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Kittydreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 13,611
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Look at his Xbox username. I think he'll be fine. j/k

-----
Saw that...
Kittydreamer is offline  
Old 07-12-06, 10:23 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
McHawkson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: America Empire
Posts: 14,752
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
You want me to rub his boobs???
It will make him feel better, right?
McHawkson is offline  
Old 07-13-06, 09:01 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,284
damn...this sucks. i was rear ended by a hit and run driver a few years back. basically, my recommendation would be first to go to the doctor right away and get everything checked out. then, just file a report with your insurance company. i hope you have uninsured motorist. if you do, the most you'll be out is the deductible. in my case, since the guy was never caught, the insurance paid for the car and all medical expenses, less deductible. if you have serious medical injuries that require a lot of therapy, you could hire a lawyer to get more money for your pain and suffering.
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) is offline  
Old 07-13-06, 10:19 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,119
I would do the opposite and file the claim right away and tell them you are going so as not to have a big gap in the time from when happened to when reported. I would mention that you are going to the doctor due to pain and they should be able to add that if needed later to your claim.
strife is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.