Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Car rear-ended me at red light and drove off ... advice needed

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-12-06, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ok .. so I'm stopped at a red light and the light turns green .. before the car in front of me moves, the car behind me moves and hits me. We proceed through the light (we are turning), and I try to get him to pull over .. he drives away ..

I've called the police and filed a report .. he says he didn't hit me, but the indentions of his license plate number says otherwise. Add to the fact that my left shoulder and neck are hurting, so I've called my doctor ..

Now, before I contact my insurance company .. what should I do? Should I call a lawyer? Am I in line for damages here, especially now that it is a hit-and-run?
Old 07-12-06, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OMG are you ok???
Old 07-12-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Do you have uninsured motorist on your insurance? Out here in California it's practically mandatory because lots of folks have no insurance.. or license.. or green card...
Old 07-12-06, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so you need to contact the cops - which you did.
It would be good to have some witnesses that can calloborate your story. Otherwise it's your word against his.
Contact your insurance company and let them know what happened.
Old 07-12-06, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
OMG are you ok???

other than the fact that my lower back feels super tight, and my shoulder/neck hurts .. i'm ok..
Old 07-12-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Oraphus
so you need to contact the cops - which you did.
It would be good to have some witnesses that can calloborate your story. Otherwise it's your word against his.
Contact your insurance company and let them know what happened.
I don't have witnesses, but I do have a photo of my bumper where you can see the marks from his plates .. you can make out the upper parts of the the first 3 letters of his tag.

should I wait until I get more info back from the police before I call the insurance, or do I call them now and then pass along more info later?
Old 07-12-06, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by achau9598
other than the fact that my lower back feels super tight, and my shoulder/neck hurts .. i'm ok..
You should go to the ER. Now.
Old 07-12-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep. And make sure the police put in their report that you were hurt. Even a little.

Because next week, if things get worse, you could get screwed by your insurance company. They could say you were never hurt in the accident and refuse to cover you.
Old 07-12-06, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thank goodness my local Patient First is an urgent care ... I'm going to go there now ...
Old 07-12-06, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You should go to the ER. Now.
You could at least offer him a boob massage.
Old 07-12-06, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ok .. so I'm stopped at a red light and the light turns green .. before the car in front of me moves, the car behind me moves and hits me.

...Add to the fact that my left shoulder and neck are hurting, so I've called my doctor ..
um...not to be inconsiderate but he hit you starting from rest...how bad are you hurt?
Old 07-12-06, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ok .. so I'm stopped at a red light and the light turns green .. before the car in front of me moves, the car behind me moves and hits me. We proceed through the light (we are turning), and I try to get him to pull over .. he drives away ..

I've called the police and filed a report .. he says he didn't hit me, but the indentions of his license plate number says otherwise. Add to the fact that my left shoulder and neck are hurting, so I've called my doctor ..

Now, before I contact my insurance company .. what should I do? Should I call a lawyer? Am I in line for damages here, especially now that it is a hit-and-run?
another question, if he drove off, when did he say he didnt hit you? obviously a lie but how did you contact him?
Old 07-12-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

here in NYC on the russian cable channel there is this guy advertising himself. if you get into an accident you call him first and he arrives at the scene. he is not a lawyer, but he will represent you and tell you exactly what to say since if you say the wrong thing it can mean no money compensation. then he recommends you a lawyer who will win money for you.
Old 07-12-06, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by atari2600
another question, if he drove off, when did he say he didnt hit you? obviously a lie but how did you contact him?
I called the police to file a report .. they were able to go to him based on his tag # .. when they spoke to him he said that he did not hit me and that I was lying.

The officer came back to me and told me this, and said that I it was my choice if I wanted them to cite him for hit-and-run, which would mean it would have to go to court. I told him yes, of course.

As for how bad I am hurt, I am very sore. The doctor said that it doesn't take much of a hit to have discomfort. He is calling it mild whiplash and gave me some meds. He also said it could be 10-12 days before the discomfort goes away.
Old 07-12-06, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

OMG are you ok???
Look at his Xbox username. I think he'll be fine. j/k

-----

But seriously, I wouldn't jump on a lawyer just yet. Get the criminal conviction in the court first. Civil damages will come later. You're just going to spend a shitload more money on atty fees if you hire one now.
Old 07-12-06, 09:15 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

? How hard did he hit you? Assuming he is the kind of driver in a hurry he was probably close to you to begin with... It seems dificult to get more than 3 to 4mph, maybe 5....
Isn't it true, that the night in question, you had a few beers before the supposed incident happened? Tell the members of the forum how you are just trying to get compensation for those supposed injuries, when in reality THERE ARE NO INJURIES.

I want the truth!

"You can't handle the truth!"

Last edited by elperdido; 07-12-06 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-12-06, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

hope you feel bettr and good luck getting this asshole to pay.
Old 07-12-06, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hate shits like this.

I've found myself to be an angry person when people do things like this. I'd like to channel that anger.....so i knit!!! Ok, not really, but if I had 2 pointy sticks, i'd probably gouge his eyes and stab him in the leg, so I could kick him in the ass when he tries to run away!!

-p
Old 07-12-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by McHawkson
You could at least offer him a boob massage.
You want me to rub his boobs???
Old 07-12-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Damn, sounds like you are getting screwed in the rear with this.

Go to the doctor and have everything checked out. Be sure to include with that you eventually received medical attention (evidence supporting the fact) and that you were definitely injured. Then hope for the best and call the insurance company. It sounds like you got his license plate number and can get in contact with him. That's a lot more than some people can claim out of that situation. Good luck getting the damages paid. And don't get overly stressed with the situation, because it could further strain your injuries.

EDIT: Not certain about the lawyer. Hopefully other otters can help with that info.

Last edited by gryffinmaster; 07-12-06 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-12-06, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thank goodness my local Patient First is an urgent care ... I'm going to go there now ...
Drop me a line and let me know how you're doing, ok?
Old 07-12-06, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Look at his Xbox username. I think he'll be fine. j/k

-----
Saw that...
Old 07-12-06, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You want me to rub his boobs???
It will make him feel better, right?
Old 07-13-06, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

damn...this sucks. i was rear ended by a hit and run driver a few years back. basically, my recommendation would be first to go to the doctor right away and get everything checked out. then, just file a report with your insurance company. i hope you have uninsured motorist. if you do, the most you'll be out is the deductible. in my case, since the guy was never caught, the insurance paid for the car and all medical expenses, less deductible. if you have serious medical injuries that require a lot of therapy, you could hire a lawyer to get more money for your pain and suffering.
Old 07-13-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would do the opposite and file the claim right away and tell them you are going so as not to have a big gap in the time from when happened to when reported. I would mention that you are going to the doctor due to pain and they should be able to add that if needed later to your claim.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.