Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Tell Me About Savannah, GA

Old 07-12-06, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tell Me About Savannah, GA

We're thinking about taking a little road trip in October. We've never been and hear it's beautiful. I've been watching alot of the Paula Deen show lately and would love to try out her restaurant.
We're in Charlotte, NC... so, it's only a hop, skip and jump away.

So, anyone care to share what they know and possibly seal the deal.

Thanks!
Old 07-12-06, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We went there last year and it's definitely worth checking out even if for only a few hours. They have trolly cars that you can take around the historic areas if you'd like a guide to explain the history (they start at the history center I think). We only went there from a side trip to Hilton Head, but I would think staying there a weekend could still be fun. Parts of the city are very pretty.
Old 07-12-06, 08:44 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Restaurants? Fantastic. Scenery? Beautiful. Wish you could have gone around the 4th of July, because they have a fireworks display there over the water that is superb. It's pretty interesting and enjoyable to get engulfed in the culture and the history/architecture of the city.

Very worth it, in my opinion.
Old 07-12-06, 11:38 AM

We go down every couple of years or so. We stay at the Hampton Inn in the historic area, and have been pleased. Nothing fancy, but comfortable and clean. The parking garage is VERY TIGHT. Obviously not made for today's SUVs and such. Certainly no space for any rack on the top, and had a very difficult time w/ the rear bike rack (12 point turns to manuever). It just sorta dead ends at the bottom.

We generally eat at Moon River Brewing Company. They had a wee heavy scotch ale on tap, and it was blinding (literally). I've heard the Pink House is nice, but kinda touristy.

With any downtown area you are unfamiliar w/, use caution walking at night off the beaten path. The outskirts are sketchy.
Old 07-12-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for all the positive feedback.
Old 07-13-06, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by duse
With any downtown area you are unfamiliar w/, use caution walking at night off the beaten path. The outskirts are sketchy.
Just a bit of an understatement. I was born in Savannah and the ridiculous crime problem is one of the reasons we moved out of the city when I was a child (the public school system was horrible there in the 80s). We moved back to SE Georgia not long ago (my mom wanted to be closer to my grandmother, who's in her 80s and lives alone and refuses to live in a nursing home). We're about an hour from Savannah but get their local channels. It's hard to adjust to hearing about drive-by shootings or rapes almost daily on the local news after hearing about them rarely in the upstate of SC where we moved from. I didn't think I'd miss it as much as I do. It's kind of ironic to me that crime is so bad since a military base is in the center of the city.

I feel sorry for the Savannah officials because they're trying to clean up the city, but it doesn't seem like it's improved all that much since we left 15 years ago. The downtown is hilarious in how it's all these expensive cafes and shops for the tourists and art college students, and then a couple blocks/streets over you're in some of the poorest and roughest areas of the city. Last year a college-age girl was walking through one of the fancy squares at like 3 in the morning (real smart) and some thugs tried to rob her and eventually shot her when she wouldn't give up her purse. It's ok during the day but I wouldn't walk anywhere in that town at night without a machine gun, unless it was a really well-lit place with a lot of people around. For old southeastern coastal historic towns I prefer Charleston but Savannah does have some beautiful areas and well-preserved architechture, mostly near the riverfront/downtown of course. Paula's restaurant is way overpriced though IMO for the type of food she serves. I've ate at tons of "country cookin'/soul food" places throughout GA and SC with better food, that were half the price she charges. Talk about cashing in on her fame. I can't imagine visiting the city for more than a day though, unless you're also going out to the islands. It just doesn't thrill me all that much but maybe it's b/c I'm familiar with the area. Just throwing all that out there if anyone cares.
Old 07-13-06, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

nice little town. we went at christmas and had fun. lots of good walking...lots of good eating.

i did like paula's restaurant (be sure to have your hotel concierge call ahead for you to get you in quicker.....they did that for us at the mulberry). i liked the pirate's house as well. good history there.

definitely take a horse carriage tour at night....lots of fun. the trolley tour kinda sucked in comparison.

we never felt un-safe...but we were in by midnight. and we're from atlanta, so maybe a lot of it is common sense...? we did walk everywhere within reason.....but of course drove to hilton head and tybee island.

got a lot of info from tripadvisor.com http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum...h_Georgia.html

btw, don't sleep in a haunted room if you're planning on getting a good night's rest.
Old 07-14-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for that link!
Old 07-14-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When you get there, ask for the Lady Chablis. She's the "Grand Empress of Savannah".

She'll see you get a good time
Old 07-14-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by naughty jonny
When you get there, ask for the Lady Chablis. She's the "Grand Empress of Savannah".

She'll see you get a good time
I read her book....she's quite funny. Some friends of mine saw her show.
Old 08-20-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry for the year-old thread bump, but I'm planning on going to Savannah this weekend...should I be avoiding hotels in the historic district since it's so shady? Or is it not really that much worse than downtown Atlanta?

Will probably be there for 2 nights...plan on driving to Tybee Island and walking around the bars and restaurants, as well as checking out some of the architecture, but what else is there to do?
Old 08-21-07, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone?
Old 08-21-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Savannah stinks! Literally. It smells funky.

das
Old 08-22-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by criptik28
Anyone?

Earlier in this thread someone posted this link. It was very helpful. We never did get to Savannah... maybe someday.
Old 08-22-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Downtown is fine. My family has lived 20 minutes from Savannah for the last 17 years. In this time we have all been downtown many times and have never had any trouble. Like most cities, there are trouble areas, but most of the downtown is fine and you shouldn't worry about it. As mentioned, this area is the main attraction for visitors and you should visit River Street which can be fun. There is a wonderful sweets shop you might enjoy called River Street Sweets which are famous for their pralines. Anyway, don't worry and have fun, just use common sense and caution if you wander into any area that seems sketchy.
Old 08-22-07, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Paula's Party
Old 08-22-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We are going to Savannah over Labor Day weekend. Can't wait.