Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Stopping payment on check? (blacktop scam)

Old 07-12-06, 12:00 AM

Stopping payment on check? (blacktop scam)

Well my parents got scammed by those roving blacktop guys. They left a mess in their neighbor's front lawn (concrete blocks, excess blacktop, etc...) and of course never came back to clean up. Their neighbors are bitching about it now. Parents of course have no receipt or anything to get in contact with the blacktop guys. What are the ramifications of having them stop payment on the check since as far as I'm concerned the "work" isn't done because of the mess left behind?
Old 07-12-06, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would think a police report should be filed along with stopping the check.
Old 07-12-06, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mayniac
Parents of course have no receipt or anything to get in contact with the blacktop guys.
Not sure what you mean, did you write the check to "cash" or something, or forget who you wrote the check to?
Old 07-12-06, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by illini420
Not sure what you mean, did you write the check to "cash" or something, or forget who you wrote the check to?
Even if they wrote the check to "XYZ Blacktop Co," I doubt that is enough to track down the scam artists that pulled this, especially since any names they used were probably false.

Stop payment on the check, and report this to the local police, because these scammers are most likely hitting other people in the area as well.
Old 07-12-06, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Every time I heard shit like this, it makes me want to beat criminals senseless. I loathe people who can't get a real job and work like the rest of us.

-p
Old 07-12-06, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pedagogue
Every time I heard shit like this, it makes me want to beat criminals senseless. I loathe people who can't get a real job and work like the rest of us.

-p
Sounds like these guys actually did the work... they just left a mess behind. The neighbors have a few free blocks and hardened blacktop. So they got THAT going for them.
Old 07-12-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What is the amount of the check, and how much oes their bank/CU harge for stop payment. It sounds like this was not neccessarily a "scam", but just sloppy work, and since the blacktop dudes certainly know where to find your parents, they should be prepared for a return visit if they DO stop payment. If that happens, and the blacktop dudes clean up their mess, your parents should have the exact payment amount on hand in cash to pay the guys or expect top get sued. And your parents would most likely have to eat the stop payment fee.

Did your parents actually pay in advance? If so, gently slap them silly! If not, whey did they not inspect the job when it was complete so they could have cleanup performed before they paid and created this situation? Not to be hard on your parents, but this was easily avoidable.
Old 07-12-06, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 07-12-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Unless you can stop payment on the day they were paid it is likely already too late. I am sure they went straight to the bank and cashed the check.

File the police report and then the bank can turn over the information regarding any id's used to cash the check.
Old 07-12-06, 01:45 PM
Suspended

Yep. These guys are two steps ahead of you. They already cashed the check. But it doesn't hurt to find out and maybe your parents got lucky.
Old 07-12-06, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What the Hell are they going to file a police report about? If anything, the neighbors have a cause of action for littering, but I don't even see anything in the OP saying that the actual job itself was done poorly or sloppily, merely that a mess was left in the neighbor's yard. The parents didn't appear to consider any aspect of this job a problem until the neighbors starting bitching about it.

Now, to maintain peace in the neighborhood, the parents could certainly offer to help with the cleanup, but I highly doubt whether that translates to any justifiable cause for the parents to withhold payment from the blacktoppers. If anything, the parents should have reviewed the job before paying them and insisted on cleanup THEN. Call the cops and they'll probably try to explain that you're wasting their time.

Compare to a plumber who comes to your house to fix the toilet. He fixes the toilet, you pay him, he goes out to his truck, eats his lunch, and tosses the trash onto the neighbor's yard before driving away. Does this give you the right to stop payment on the check you gave the plumber?
Old 07-12-06, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sracer
Sounds like these guys actually did the work... they just left a mess behind. The neighbors have a few free blocks and hardened blacktop. So they got THAT going for them.

And on their deathbed... total consciousness!
Old 07-12-06, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Shoveler
Compare to a plumber who comes to your house to fix the toilet. He fixes the toilet, you pay him, he goes out to his truck, eats his lunch, and tosses the trash onto the neighbor's yard before driving away. Does this give you the right to stop payment on the check you gave the plumber?
Did the plumber come unannounced, and offer to fix your toilet (which you didn't realize was broken in the first place)? Cuz that's how these blacktop scammers work.

The OP didn't mention all of the details, but this reeks of a scam. The "blacktop scam" is well known - hit up to see. $100 says after the first rainstorm, the new "blacktop" cracks and washes away.
Old 07-12-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Morf
Did the plumber come unannounced, and offer to fix your toilet (which you didn't realize was broken in the first place)? Cuz that's how these blacktop scammers work.

The OP didn't mention all of the details, but this reeks of a scam. The "blacktop scam" is well known - hit up to see. $100 says after the first rainstorm, the new "blacktop" cracks and washes away.
Never trust door to door blacktop salesmen.
Old 07-12-06, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Morf
$100 says after the first rainstorm, the new "blacktop" cracks and washes away.
I'm not sure if it rains at all on UrAnus. Might have to google that one too.
Old 07-12-06, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm not sure if it rains at all on UrAnus. Might have to google that one too.
Aww, you're right ...

http://www.calacademy.org/calwild/20...kywatcher.html
At nearly three billion kilometers from the Sun, and with no internal source of heat, Uranus lacks the prerequisites for weather.
Old 07-12-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mayniac
Well my parents got scammed by those roving blacktop guys. They left a mess in their neighbor's front lawn (concrete blocks, excess blacktop, etc...) and of course never came back to clean up. Their neighbors are bitching about it now. Parents of course have no receipt or anything to get in contact with the blacktop guys. What are the ramifications of having them stop payment on the check since as far as I'm concerned the "work" isn't done because of the mess left behind?
you can do a stop payment on the check and the contractors can put a mechanic's lien on your home and you will have to go to court to figure out who cleans up. What is in the contract or agreement concerning clean up?
Old 07-12-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
you can do a stop payment on the check and the contractors can put a mechanic's lien on your home and you will have to go to court to figure out who cleans up. What is in the contract or agreement concerning clean up?
scammers generally try to avoid court, though.
Old 07-12-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OP didn't say the work wasn't done, just that the contractors left a mess and didn't clean up after themselves. Most likely to go to another job.
Old 07-12-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenbuzz

And on their deathbed... total consciousness!
Old 07-12-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the OP *did* mention "blacktop scam" in the title.

But then he said that the mess just wasn't cleared up. Like it was just shoddy work.

I would say that if it WAS a scam, the check was probably cashed (and, for that matter, the money is likely already spent).

Here's something in regards to an actual blacktop scam...

http://nbc15.madison.com/contact15/1490932.html

It is referred to as the "pavement scam," and It surfaced yesterday in Stoughton. An 81 year old woman was reportedly approached by a group of men who wanted to pave her driveway for $6500. She wrote the check, but thankfully her Power of Attorney stepped in and called authorities who got the woman's money back.

The state has received six complaints about this scam.

"They will pull up to somebody's house and say they have leftover asphalt from a job, you can get it at a very cheap price. You can get it, you can save a lot of money, but you have to act right now," tells Glen Loyd of Wisconsin Consumer Protection.

He says they pressure people, then over charge them. Loyd recommends calling authorities if someone brings the offer to your door step.

Bad home-improvement guys are for real. A few weeks ago, my brother was recommended (by Paddock Pools) a yardwork-guy to do some little stuff (mainly brickwork ... encase his new pool eqiupment and add a couple layers to his wall for extra privacy). They guy came, got like half way done, and my brother (while being polite) pointed out that his work more-or-less SUCKS. The wall was not layed properly. It VISIBLY leaned forward.

So rather than offering to fix it, the guy gets pissed and leaves. He was throwing shit in the back of his truck and being a total dick about it.

Brother paid half up front in good faith (the guy WAS recommended by a big pool company...). And he DID end up doing around $1600 in work, which is what he was paid. But then he had to deal with getting someone else to fix it, and get the job done right.

Lesson learned: Go to that 'big' home improvement contractor listed in the Yellow Pages. Pay 20% more to get the job done right. Because those little contractors are fucking weirdos.

Don't get me started on how hard it is to find a weekly lawn-mantainence guy that actually shows up...