Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

MBA advice sought from those who attended Business School

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-11-06, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm going to enter business school in the fall and wanted to get a head start, since I heard it is very difficult to start anything while in school. I am going to brush up on my Excel and PowerPoint and learn how to use a financial calculater. What I am having probelms with, is deciding a concentration. We do not have to declare one, but of course, you gotta know what you want to do. I am interested in product marketing, but am open to other concentrations also. For those who are in b-school or have graduated, how did you decide on what you wanted to do?

Any other tips or advice on business school would be much appreciated.

Oh yeah....I have also heard that there is much drinking involved. How often did you guys drink a week? I am a little worried because I am a lightweight when it comes to drinking and do not want to leave a bad impression because of it.
Old 07-11-06, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I guess most of your questions depend on what B school you are going to go to. I went to Cornell - so they focused a lot more on group discussions and projects. The people there did not seem like big drinkers to me - But I played Rugby.. and we ruggers have different standards However, the school would sponsor some social nights, and a couple of people would go to the bar every now and then - but by no means was this a "party" atmosphere.

There is not much prep you have to do... However, Power Point is a great skill to have and will save you many hours when you have to do projects. (and there are a lot of projects). If you suck at excel, then give it some practice - Financial calculator... I don't remember using it all that much.

B School is all about group projects!! Group Tests, etc.

Oh - and if you want focus on Marketing Management

Good luck

Last edited by CPA-ESQ.; 07-11-06 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-11-06, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oral Sex.

Learn it. Live it. Love it.

-p
Old 07-11-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

go to the college bookstore or look on ebay for the books you will be using and read them over the summer to get a headstart. If you want to be hardcore find out the lesson plan and assignments and do some prepatory work on those as well.
Old 07-11-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
I'm going to enter business school in the fall and wanted to get a head start, since I heard it is very difficult to start anything while in school. I am going to brush up on my Excel and PowerPoint and learn how to use a financial calculater. What I am having probelms with, is deciding a concentration. We do not have to declare one, but of course, you gotta know what you want to do. I am interested in product marketing, but am open to other concentrations also. For those who are in b-school or have graduated, how did you decide on what you wanted to do?
I based my decision on what I wanted to do and the job market. Relax, you have time to decide.

Oh yeah....I have also heard that there is much drinking involved. How often did you guys drink a week? I am a little worried because I am a lightweight when it comes to drinking and do not want to leave a bad impression because of it.
Just Thursday happy hour. Some drank heavily, some not so much.
Old 07-11-06, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not currently in graduate school (I plan on enrolling in the next year or two), but I plan on getting my MBA from UW in Technology Management. It's what interests me.

I graduated with a BS in Business Administration in undergraduate, and it was non-stop group projects and presentations. I expect more of the same.
Old 07-11-06, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My friend has his business degree and went for his MBA when he was 26. He dropped it after a month. He said most of the students in the class were mid-40 year olds with 20 years business experience under their belts so he felt outclassed. He also mentioned that in his economics course, they covered about 2 semesters of micro and macro economics in about 2 weeks.
Old 07-11-06, 06:21 PM
X
Administrator

I never have figured out why it's always called my MBA, not an MBA. It seems to always be worded that way although I call it an MBA just like I would a BS or any other degree.
Old 07-11-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for all the replies. I should mention that I am actually entering as a full-time student and will not be working while in school.

Originally Posted by ElementZ
My friend has his business degree and went for his MBA when he was 26. He dropped it after a month. He said most of the students in the class were mid-40 year olds with 20 years business experience under their belts so he felt outclassed. He also mentioned that in his economics course, they covered about 2 semesters of micro and macro economics in about 2 weeks.
Was he in the full-time program or fully-employed program? I think for full-time programs, the average age is about 28. Econ, at least for our curriculum, is divided between micro and macro.
Old 07-11-06, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by X
I never have figured out why it's always called my MBA, not an MBA. It seems to always be worded that way although I call it an MBA just like I would a BS or any other degree.
I've noticed that too. And some folks say they are getting the Ph.D. Can't figure that one out either.
Old 07-11-06, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
Who says "my MBA"?
Old 07-11-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ElementZ
Definately depends on the program. I know some executive MBA programs that are like this (maybe a bit less on the econ, but definately higher level with very experienced people).

-p
Old 07-11-06, 09:04 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by criptik28
Who says "my MBA"?
Almost everyone. Look at the two posts above my original one.
Old 07-11-06, 10:39 PM
Cool New Member

Got the BS in Finance,

I hope you have 5+ years of experience if you want the MA to be meaningful, otherwise you will be a dime a dozen.

They want to see relevant experience and then going back to school to expand on that.

I dont really plan on getting the MBA unless something changes.
Old 07-11-06, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The 4-5 year rule only really applies to the top flight school (top 10 or 15). Many other programs don't care as much.

-p
Old 07-12-06, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by pedagogue
The 4-5 year rule only really applies to the top flight school (top 10 or 15). Many other programs don't care as much.

-p
The 4-5 year rule isn't based on schools not admitting you without experience, it's based on companies not hiring you into a management position after you graduate.

A lot of schools will admit anybody with a high GMAT score regardless of work experience. The problem is a company doesn't care about your GMAT score or GPA (you won't even know your GPA when you are interviewing since you try to have a job before you graduate). Companies will look at what you have accomplished and can offer them. Having an MBA and no work experience would be fine if you're competing against people with only a BS, but that's not the case. You are going after the same job as other MBA's with years of experience.
Old 07-12-06, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished my MBA. Did the executive program (minimum 12 years work experience with at least 8 years of management). It was a LOT of group projects and presentations. Make sure your public speaking skills are WELL honed. Sign up for any and all seminars or classes offered in this. It will pay off in abundance.
Old 07-12-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
If I were talking about you getting an MBA I would say "Where did you get your MBA?" like I would ask about your car or your dog. And in college I would say I'm getting my Bachelor's. I wasn't getting more than one Bachelor's degree, otherwise I would say, "I'm getting a BS in Whatever and a BS in Something Else."

I can diagram a sentence if you like.
Old 07-12-06, 11:14 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
If I were talking about you getting an MBA I would say "Where did you get your MBA?" like I would ask about your car or your dog. And in college I would say I'm getting my Bachelor's. I wasn't getting more than one Bachelor's degree, otherwise I would say, "I'm getting a BS in Whatever and a BS in Something Else."

I can diagram a sentence if you like.
Feel free.

You might say "Where did you get your MBA?" when talking to me to distinguish it from someone else's, like yours, but I'm talking about people saying "I got my MBA at ..." where the distinction isn't needed. It's obviously yours you're talking about and it's just an MBA, like many other people get.

I just think it's a strange quirk of language, possibly having a little to do with pretentiousness, that people say it that way. If you got an ice cream cone somewhere yesterday and you were talking about it now you would most likely say "I got an ice cream cone at ...", not "I got my ice cream cone at ...".
Old 07-12-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by X
If you got an ice cream cone somewhere yesterday and you were talking about it now you would most likely say "I got an ice cream cone at ...", not "I got my ice cream cone at ...".
An ice cream cone is not a part of you. If you get a bachelor's or a master's, it is part of your credentials and your education.
Old 07-12-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by X
Feel free.

You might say "Where did you get your MBA?" when talking to me to distinguish it from someone else's, like yours, but I'm talking about people saying "I got my MBA at ..." where the distinction isn't needed. It's obviously yours you're talking about and it's just an MBA, like many other people get.

I just think it's a strange quirk of language, possibly having a little to do with pretentiousness, that people say it that way. If you got an ice cream cone somewhere yesterday and you were talking about it now you would most likely say "I got an ice cream cone at ...", not "I got my ice cream cone at ...".
But if you were talking about a car, you'd say "I got my car at..." not "I got a car at..." Or "I got my golf clubs at..." or "I got my computer at." Those items are not consumables, like your ice cream cone example.
Old 07-12-06, 05:31 PM
X
Administrator

I would say I got a car at place1, and a car at place2, and my current car at place3 because "a current car" sounds strange.

I would say I got a BS at ASU, a second BS at ASU, and an MBA at ASU. Actually, I do say that. I guess it's the strange ownership modifier of the degree that bewilders me. Maybe it's that it's just another degree to me and it's some kind of identifier to most other people, I don't know.
Old 07-12-06, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
[...]
I would say I got a BS at ASU, a second BS at ASU, and an MBA at ASU. Actually, I do say that. I guess it's the strange ownership modifier of the degree that bewilders me. Maybe it's that it's just another degree to me and it's some kind of identifier to most other people, I don't know.
I see...

It denotes ownership. I own this; therefore, it is mine. I suppose we all haven't succeeded at denying the Self quite as well as you apparently have, Gautama.
Old 07-12-06, 05:51 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I see...

It denotes ownership. I own this; therefore, it is mine. I suppose we all haven't succeeded at denying the Self quite as well as you apparently have, Gautama.
That's two posts like that now. Are you unable to discuss a manner of speech without making it so mocking and personal?
Old 07-12-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
That's two posts like that now. Are you unable to discuss a manner of speech without making it so mocking and personal?
Well, you did insinuate that just about everyone but you is being pretentious because of it. Anyway, I'm not making it personal. I just think you're being silly going on and on about something so trivial (5 posts now).

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.