Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Right Car?

Old 07-11-06, 01:51 PM

The Right Car?

So I convinced my girlfriend to get a used car instead of a new one, she was looking at 18-24K GM cars during the interest free financing period. She got a 13K 2001 Camry with 33k miles, leather, sunroof, premium sound, 6 disc cd, basically loaded and in mint condition...I think she got a great deal kelly blue book wise.

Anyway that was last week, this week she noticed it kind of jerks when breaking (hardly noticible in town, but on the highway at faster speeds you can feel it...like just jerky when you put the breaks on is the best way I can describe it) we are hoping nothing is wrong with the breaks or something else...not sure if we should take it in...anyway if something does go wrong I figure she has 500-1K leway she could put into it and it still wouldn't have been a bad deal (especially compared to how much more the new was...little higher monthly payments that lasted 4 more years...yeah no interest but with 3K down she isnt' paying that much interest and will probably pay it off in a year or two and not pay much).

So my question is there were base 2005 camry with the same miles but none of the extra options, and she actually liked the older body better. Now I'm worried more things will go wrong with it...how important is years vs. miles...I know both factor in but 34K (clean carfax) miles for a 2001 is really low so I figured that it wouldn't be much worse off then a newer one with similar miles...? Also anyone know what might be wrong with the brakes...should we take it in and have it looked at?
Old 07-11-06, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would be more concerned about breaking as opposed to a little jerking.
Old 07-11-06, 02:10 PM

The actual breaking seems to work fine, it is just that while you are doing it it seems to jerk/lurch/wobble..she thought it was the anti-locks but i've felt them kick in before and that is quick little jerks you can feel on the pettle and this isn't that, and no reason for them to come on. It just kind of wobbles or jerks while breaking...since it is something that happens while breaking that is why i was concerned, don't want something to be wrong with the breaks...would needing new break pads do this?
Old 07-11-06, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-11-06, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

brakes.

could be pad related. could be a problem with the rotors. might need turned or replaced. mosquitobite won't help you with this one, so i'd probably take it to a place that does brakes and have them check the runout and thickness on the rotors and inspect the pads.

an inspection should be free or fairly cheap.
Old 07-11-06, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definitely sounds like rotors or pads. After 5 years it's probably due.
Old 07-11-06, 02:27 PM

perfect thanks guys, i'll take it in. Last time I had an issue I went someplace to have it looked at and they charged me like 150 inspection fee or something without even doing anything, I was worried this would be the same. We'll take it someplace and get the free inspection. Maybe it wasn't the greatest deal! Although if it just needs new pads or something minor then it still will have been a bargain.
Old 07-11-06, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It sounds to me like your rotors are warped. Maybe the original owner was a little hard on the breaks (see if crankyman's wife owned it first).

More likely the cause was some dipshit mechanic didn't put the lug nuts on the front tires correctly and that caused the rotors to warp.

If it is not really bad, and you can live iwth it, it is fine to can run the car.

IMO - you would have been better off with the 2005, it has a better engine.
Old 07-11-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by crankyman
brakes.

could be pad related. could be a problem with the rotors. might need turned or replaced. mosquitobite won't help you with this one, so i'd probably take it to a place that does brakes and have them check the runout and thickness on the rotors and inspect the pads.

an inspection should be free or fairly cheap.

Take it to Clemons on Grant Line. They're half of what Ken Towery wanted to charge.

There! I helped!
Old 07-11-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

soo....how about you drink that case of beer and come on by and see me....
Old 07-11-06, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

why would anyone pay $13k for a 2001 used car? Just spend the extra few thousand $$$ on the 2007 Camry.
Old 07-11-06, 05:03 PM

Few thousand? How much is the V6 camry loaded 2007? This only had 33K miles on it...how much do you lose when you drive that 2007 Camry off the lot? We could trade this in a year for now and almost get what we paid for it...try that with a 2007 Camry....she needed a new car ASAP and it makes no sense to buy new unless you can more than afford it and really like new cars.
Old 07-11-06, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
why would anyone pay $13k for a 2001 used car? Just spend the extra few thousand $$$ on the 2007 Camry.

Also doing a quick search on Cars.com we could sell this car ourselves and make 500-1000$. It is loaded and only 33K miles. I know the dealer and also have seen what it sold for at auction, 12,200. 400 to ship it and we only paid 400 more than the dealer.