Fear in Phoenix as residents await next attack by 3 gunmen

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-11-06, 11:54 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...s_x.htm?csp=34

Updated 7/10/2006 11:13 PM ET

By Dennis Wagner, USA TODAY

PHOENIX When a city falls under the pall of a serial killer, police put in overtime.

Phoenix homicide investigators are dealing with a triple threat three gunmen haunting the metropolis, killing nine people and maiming others in more than 50 attacks since last year.

The deadly spate has shaken neighborhoods and prompted the mayor to reassure the city that the killers will be stopped.

Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon said over the weekend that police will work around the clock on all three cases and "won't rest until (the killers) are apprehended."

Homicide detectives need the public's help, Phoenix police spokesman Andy Hill said. They have little physical evidence and a vague description of one assailant, the police said. They are convinced three unrelated criminals are at work.

The first set of attacks began in May 2005. More than two dozen shootings have been ascribed to that gunman, including four slayings and five other victims wounded. The perpetrator also has targeted horses and dogs.

Another suspect, branded the "Baseline Rapist" because many of his attacks occurred along Baseline Road, is blamed for 19 incidents, including robberies, carjackings and sexual assaults. His spree began 11 months ago and includes five killings.

Homicide detectives disclosed the existence of a third assailant over the weekend after a man and woman were shot in separate attacks. Police say the third gunman has not yet killed anyone but has carried out at least 13 shootings since May 2. All of the victims have been outdoors, either late at night or in the pre-dawn hours..

Detectives have established a pair of task forces one directed at the Baseline Rapist, a second at the other two assailants.

A map depicting attack locations shows the three assailants operate in selected sections of the city, prompting extra concern for residents in those areas.

Michelle Nelson, 28 and pregnant, says she bought a car Saturday because she didn't want to risk riding buses. "It's unreal," Nelson said. "Enough's enough. I don't feel safe."

A community meeting addressing the unease the killings have caused is set for Wednesday.

Hilda Redondo, a single mother, plans to be there. Meanwhile, Redondo says her father is staying at her home, and her kids no longer play in the yard. "I was never afraid before, but now I'm afraid," she added.

Wagner reports daily for The Arizona Republic in Phoenix.

Contributing: Arizona Republic reporters Judi Villa, Jessica Coomes and Ruth Liao.

Hey Deftones, what have you heard about this? Is the city really in a panic like we were in 1985 with the Night Stalker killings or is this being overblown in the media (not that these murders are not a tragedy).

Chris
Old 07-11-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wouldn't say the city is in a panic, but there is some very real concern since the killings seem to be targeting random folks and are happening all around the city. The Baseline Rapist killed a woman right across the street from my work a couple weeks ago. Really scary case, she was at a car wash at around 9pm and was on the phone with her boyfriend when she was attacked.
Old 07-11-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's the heat. Whoever the land developer was who convinced people that Arizona was habitable should be horsewhipped.
Old 07-11-06, 12:40 PM

But it's a DRY heat!
Old 07-11-06, 12:43 PM
Mod Emeritus

I take it they believe he is black or hispanic, since they don't mention he's white in the article, and it's "taboo" in the media to list the minority ethicity of a criminal, even one still at large.
Old 07-11-06, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

and I suppose that was dry humor...

Old 07-11-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...s_x.htm?csp=34

Hey Deftones, what have you heard about this? Is the city really in a panic like we were in 1985 with the Night Stalker killings or is this being overblown in the media (not that these murders are not a tragedy).

Chris
Not a widespread panic like when the DC Snipers were in effect, but people are being very, very cautious. This is a big deal from what I hear from buddies w/ Phoenix PD. They are working the cases hard, but because of the completely random nature, they are hard to track down.
Old 07-11-06, 02:12 PM

Is there a concealed carry law in AZ?
Old 07-11-06, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Yes. But these guys are shooting people from distances a la the DC snipers. A handgun does you no good when you get picked off from a hundred yards or so.
Old 07-11-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It is like the DC Sniper(s). I had clients around multiple sites of shootings. My ass was going now where NEAR those places. No client was worth dealing with that crap.

-p
Old 07-12-06, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Big time community action meeting was on TV tonight about this. They are offering up $100,000 reward. Almost enough for me to start my own investigation.
Old 07-22-06, 11:27 AM

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...?track=tothtml

Night Slayings in Phoenix Linked to Two Serial Killers

Police blame two series of attacks in which 11 died on `Baseline Killer' and `Serial Shooter.'

By Nicholas Riccardi, Times Staff Writer
July 22, 2006

PHOENIX Summer nights used to be something to look forward to in this sweltering, sprawling metropolis.

Residents don't dare leave air-conditioned homes and offices during the day, when temperatures routinely crack triple digits. When the desert sun goes down, parks fill up, joggers take to the streets and diners flock to outdoor tables at restaurants.

But this summer, it's a different story. Phoenix is being terrorized by at least two serial killers who have killed 11 people, striking after dark. Residents across the city are thinking twice before going out at night.

"During the day you can't do that much because it's 115 degrees," said Tene Burrow, 27, an elementary school teacher who lives near the site of one of the killings. "But for me right now, lay low. Do as little as possible, stay safe. Unless it's something I have to absolutely do at night I'll just stay in, and sweat it out during the day."

The string of killings has startled a city of 1.4 million known more for golf, retirement homes and quiet living than for urban paranoia.

"It's not a joking matter anymore," Burrow said. "But it was like, a serial killer in Phoenix, Ariz.? Come on! This isn't New York, this isn't D.C."

The attacks have taken place mostly across a 70-square-mile area of central metropolitan Phoenix. The area includes immigrant neighborhoods bursting with taco stands and auto body shops, and high-end streets fronting Scottsdale's upscale apartment complexes. The victims, apparently chosen at random, include men and women of all ages. The killers used guns.

Police call one of the attackers "The Baseline Killer" after a broad boulevard that runs through poor neighborhoods and upper-middle-class suburbs where he snatched several of his victims. The killer, described by police as a black man who may use a disguise that includes a long-haired wig and a floppy-brimmed hat, has ranged far beyond Baseline Road. He has killed five women and one man ages 19 to 39, police say, and committed eight robberies and seven sexual assaults.

The first crime linked to the Baseline Killer was the September shooting death of a woman in her Tempe apartment complex parking lot. Police say he also killed a schoolteacher waiting for a bus in central Phoenix and two workers at a Chinese restaurant who disappeared after their late shift on March 15. Their corpses were found the following day.

The most recent victim was Carmen Miranda, 37, a mother of two who was carjacked June 29 at a carwash on a working-class stretch of Thomas Boulevard, one of Phoenix's busiest roads. A surveillance video showed her being grabbed while she vacuumed her Ford. She was found dead in the car behind a nearby barbershop.

Police say the killer tries to initiate a conversation before attacking.

Police say a second killer, whom they have dubbed "The Serial Shooter," has shot at least 22 men and women ages 16 to 56. Five have died. Police believe the shots have come from a light-colored, four-door sedan. Police do not know the shooter's gender, and say it is possible that more than one person is firing from the car.

Since May 2005, the sniper has largely targeted people walking alone. But victims also include people getting off buses at the end of workdays, and riding or pushing bicycles. The sniper has also killed dogs on the street and is believed responsible for fatally shooting three horses on private property.

The Phoenix Police Department has assembled a 120-person task force to investigate the crimes and is working with the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms, Tobacco and Explosives.

About 4,000 people have called the department tip line, police say. More than 1,500 people crowded into an auditorium this month for a community meeting on the killings. The Guardian Angels, the volunteer crime-fighting group, began patrolling central Phoenix this week. The Police Department has started holding daily news conferences on the killings, although there were no developments to report this week.

"An investigation is like building a house," Sgt. Andy Hill, a department spokesman, said at a news conference this week "You just keep putting each brick in there. You start slow but you get results."

Hill said he was frustrated by media reports about Phoenix residents cowering in the face of the killings. "This is a community that's on the offensive," he said.

Margaret Ubauer certainly sounded that way as she stood outside a supermarket a few blocks from one of the slaying scenes. "Me and some other gals were thinking of getting some guns and looking for them ourselves," said Ubauer, 61, who works with mental patients in a hospital.

But Ubauer admitted she doesn't leave her house at night anymore and worries about her daughter-in-law, who works nights.

Bobby Kelly is concerned about her own late nights. A supervisor at the supermarket, she's worked out a system with co-workers to have people watch each other at night as they pull into the parking lot and walk inside.

Kelly, a lifelong Phoenix resident, had never paid attention to stories of murder and mayhem on the news until the Baseline Killer attacked someone near her workplace. "It's a whole lot closer now."

Chris
Old 07-22-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw on the news the other day that the "Guardian Angels" have decided to start patrolling the streets again. I remember the last time they were around they had the habit of messing with inncoent people. They tend to do more harm than good.
Old 07-22-06, 02:18 PM
Suspended

That's all they need is a group of idiots using their own dimented profiling techniques. I'd call in the national guard.

These two fuckwads can be caught. They are killing people at random but that in itself is a consistency. Everyone leaves a trail. Hopefully the FBI can figure it out. I'm going to email a few people some ideas about catching these freaks.
Old 07-23-06, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Is there a concealed carry law in AZ?
both concealed and open carry iirc
Old 08-04-06, 05:27 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...n_x.htm?csp=34

Two arrested in serial shootings in Arizona

Updated 8/4/2006 5:27 PM ET

By William Hermann and Senta Scarborough, The Arizona Republic

PHOENIX, Ariz. Authorities arrested two suspects in connection with a series of fatal shootings that have terrorized Phoenix area residents for more than a year, Phoenix's police chief said Friday.

The men apprehended at a gated apartment complex in Mesa late Thursday are believed to be responsible for the crimes in the "Serial Shooter" case one of two serial predators whom authorities say have been operating in the Phoenix area, said police Chief Jack Harris.

"They are the serial shooters that this task force has been hunting," Harris said at a press conference Friday morning.

Officials identified the two as Dale Hausner and Samuel Dieteman, and said the arrests were made following numerous tips from the public. Harris said the two will be booked later Friday each on multiple counts of murder and aggravated assault.

"These are the two monsters we have been hunting, and I promise you and our colleagues promise you, we are not finished," added Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon.

Police said authorities identified the pair, whom they say are friends, on Monday and that the arrests occurred Thursday night after the pair "presented themselves," allowing tactical units from Phoenix and Mesa police to take them down.

"I assure you, these are the right guys," said Phoenix Assistant Police Chief Bill Louis, who headed up the investigation for months as a commander before his recent promotion. "The hunt is over but the work has just begun."

Authorities said they have also linked Hausner and Dieteman to two arson fires at two Wal-Mart stores on June 8 that caused an estimated $7 million in damage. The fires were set about 45 minutes apart in the plastic-flower aisles in the back of the 24-hour stores at 5605 W. Northern Ave. and 5010 N. 95th Ave.

The arson suspects were believed to be captured on surveillance camera.

The series of shootings has held the Valley in a grip of fear for more than a year, with six people killed and 18 wounded. The shootings began in May 2005.

The latest incident was Sunday night when a 22-year-old woman was shot to death while walking on Gilbert Road near Grandview Street in Mesa.

Early Friday, Mesa, Phoenix, and Scottsdale police along with FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agents were at Windscape Apartments on McKellips Road near Mesa Drive searching at least one apartment. Police took various items from the apartment during the course of the morning, including what appeared to be several rifles in clear plastic cases.

Phoenix Police Sgt. Andy Hill said that a search warrant has been served in Mesa by members of the task force, including the Maricopa County Attorney's Office. Hill said that Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents also helped out on this case.

The task force is holding a news conference about the latest developments that began at 10 a.m. at Phoenix City Hall.

"I hope they got him," said Caroll Roberts, whose 19-year-old son was shot in the torso last month and survived after four hours of surgery. "I want to shoot him in the stomach to see how he'd like it, like he did my son."

Raul Castillo, who lives in the Mesa apartment complex, could only say, "I hope they catch him.

A tow truck appeared at the apartments about 4 a.m., and about a half hour later a silver, later-model Toyota Camry was towed away.

The Serial Shooter case is one of two serial attacker cases being investigated in the Valley. The "Baseline Killer" has shot to death eight people and been involved in sexual assaults and robberies since last August. Police still are asking for the help of the public in that case.

Early Friday, the two suspects in the Serial Shooter case were being questioned at the Phoenix Police Department by investigators. The suspects were expected to be taken to Maricopa County jail later in the morning, officials said.

A woman who lives in the complex said it "freaked her out" that the killers might live near her. Jessica Lilienthel said, "It's scary if they were living here. It could have been any one of us."

Complex resident Loraine Salyers said she lives near where police came in Friday.

"I came out and there were like a hundred cops," Salyers said. I was so scared. My heart's pounding."

Contributing: The Associated Press

Posted 8/4/2006 7:58 AM ET

Chris
Old 09-07-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk God

About a month later, the suspected "Baseline Rapist/Killer" is believed to be caught...

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...killer-ON.html
Old 12-08-06, 01:18 PM

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_4800953

Phoenix police say they've caught man who killed 9
Associated Press

Article Last Updated:12/07/2006 09:39:35 PM PST

PHOENIX - Police said Thursday they have caught the Baseline Killer, the gunman responsible for nine slayings that spread terror across the Phoenix area for nearly a year.

Police Chief Jack Harris said investigators are recommending that Mark Goudeau, a 42-year-old construction worker who has been in jail since September, be charged with 71 counts, including nine murders - most of them random shootings committed on the street at night.

Goudeau was arrested three months ago in two sexual assaults that were attributed to the Baseline Killer. But at the time, police stopped short of pronouncing him the Baseline Killer while they built a case against the ex-convict.

Cmdr. Joe Klima said investigators have collected forensic evidence - including DNA and ballistics - and other evidence implicating Goudeau.

Chris
Old 12-08-06, 01:23 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
They should sentence him to death, then release him from jail, telling him that the sentence will be carried out when they get around to it. Could be tomorrow, could be next week...
Old 12-08-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Nah, just cap him or weld him into a cell. Revenge is bad, m'kay? It should only be about protecting society from future harm.
Old 12-08-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Line them up side by side and end it with one sniper bullet going through all their heads. It'd be the most cost efficient way.
Old 01-17-07, 10:51 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070117/...eline_killings

Man charged in Phoenix serial case

By JACQUES BILLEAUD, Associated Press Writer
Wed Jan 17, 6:13 AM ET

PHOENIX - The top prosecutor in the Phoenix area told residents Tuesday that the rash of serial attacks that put the region on edge for months was finally over.

Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas announced a 74-count indictment against Mark Goudeau, a former construction worker police suspect was the area's serial "Baseline Killer."

The charges, which include nine counts of first-degree murder, 15 counts of sexual assault and 11 counts of kidnapping, stem from crimes committed between August 2005 and June 2006 throughout the Phoenix area.

"The reign of terror has ended," Thomas said. "The quest for justice has just begun."

Defense lawyer Corwin Townsend said Goudeau will plead not guilty to the new charges. He has already pleaded not guilty to two sexual assaults that authorities also attributed to the Baseline Killer.

"We haven't changed our position at all," he said. "The fact that they (added) more charges does not change our belief that they have the wrong guy."

Townsend said he will add to Goudeau's defense team to handle the new charges, some of which could lead to the death penalty if Goudeau is convicted.

Police announced last month that the man they believed to be the Baseline Killer was in custody and recommended that Goudeau be charged with murder and other crimes.

Goudeau, an ex-convict, has been in jail since September, when he was arrested in the two sexual assaults. At the time, police stopped short of pronouncing Goudeau the Baseline Killer while they built a case against him.

But last month, police said that investigators had collected forensic evidence including DNA and ballistics and other evidence implicating Goudeau in the killings.

"We feel very confident about these charges, very good about where we are with the evidence," Thomas said Tuesday.

Goudeau's defense team has hired its own forensics expert to analyze evidence that led to the sexual assault charges. According to their expert's independent review, Townsend said it doesn't appear that Goudeau can be definitively linked to the suspected sexual assaults of two women in September 2005.

"I feel fairly confident there will not be any type of DNA match," Townsend said.

Goudeau is still scheduled to face the sexual assault charges in a trial to start Monday. But Townsend said the trial likely will be postponed until March.

The Baseline Killer case originally included eight killings. A ninth was publicly revealed in December. Most of the victims, all but one of them women, were killed going about their daily activities, such as leaving work, washing a car or waiting at a bus stop.

Police have said the killer usually struck at night and wore disguises, including a wig of dreadlocks and a fisherman's hat. The name Baseline Killer came from the Phoenix street where some of the earliest crimes were committed.

About half of the Baseline Killer attacks occurred within three miles of the Phoenix home Goudeau shared with his wife. One woman was killed just around the corner.

Goudeau had previously served 13 1/2 years in prison for three aggravated assaults, armed robbery and kidnapping before being paroled in 2004. He once blamed his history of violence on a weakness for crack cocaine.

The Baseline Killer was one of two serial killer cases that spread fear across the Phoenix area in recent months.

In August, police arrested two roommates in what was dubbed the Serial Shooter case. The two men are accused of driving around the city and its suburbs at night, firing at people randomly from a car. Seven people were killed.

The defendants, who have pleaded not guilty, are awaiting trial.

Chris
Old 01-17-07, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones
Not a widespread panic like when the DC Snipers were in effect, but people are being very, very cautious.
Yeah...that sucked. I was working in DC and baltimore at the time, and I had some clients right near a couple of the shooting sites. I also have used the gas station(s) they hit. I didn't go anywhere near DC until they caught the guys.

I'd do what china use to do....i'd have a trial, convict him, shoot him, and then make the family pay for the expenses. IIRC they now have these mobile wagons that they use to kill deathrow inmates in china. Pretty efficient!

-p
Old 03-27-09, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Fear in Phoenix as residents await next attack by 3 gunmen

just some closure on this case. the guy was caught. went to trial. was found guilty of 80 of 87 counts, including 6 murders. they jury found death penalty was in order. being sentenced to death on monday: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...gs0327-ON.html
Old 03-27-09, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Fear in Phoenix as residents await next attack by 3 gunmen

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
just some closure on this case. the guy was caught. went to trial. was found guilty of 80 of 87 counts, including 6 murders. they jury found death penalty was in order. being sentenced to death on monday: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...gs0327-ON.html
Too bad Dexter couldn't get to him first. Happy ending though.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.