Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

MySpace gains top ranking of US Web sites

Old 07-11-06, 11:14 AM

MySpace gains top ranking of US Web sites

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060711/...a_myspace_dc_1

28 minutes ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Online teen hangout MySpace.com ranked as the No. 1 U.S. Web site last week, displacing Yahoo Inc.'s(Nasdaq:YHOO - news) top-rated e-mail gateway and Google Inc.'s (Nasdaq:GOOG - news) search site, Internet tracking firm Hitwise said on Tuesday.

News Corp.'s (NYSE:NWS - news) MySpace accounted for 4.46 percent of all U.S. Internet visits for the week ending July 8, pushing it past Yahoo Mail for the first time and outpacing the home pages for Yahoo, Google and Microsoft's (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) MSN Hotmail.

Hitwise does not provide figures for the number of unique visitors to a site.

MySpace, which dominates social networking on the Web, also gained share in June from other sites that aim to create virtual communities online for sharing music, photos or other interests, Hitwise said.

MySpace captured nearly 80 percent of visits to online social networking sites, up from 76 percent in April. A distant second was FaceBook at 7.6 percent.

Rupert Murdoch's News Corp bought MySpace for $580 million one year ago as part of a strategy to rapidly build up the media conglomerate's Internet presence.

I've actually been using MySpace a lot in the last couple of weeks. It has allowed me to reconnect with some very close old friends who I had not spoken with in 7 years. One is 22 and happily married with kids and the other is 15 and going thru her rebellious teen years.

They have had many questions about their dad (my oldest friend) who died in 1998, so it's been an emotional week for all of us.

So, MySpace may be officially ruining the world for some people, but used in the right way it is a great way to keep up with friends and also to find old friends.

I kind of wish that there was a MySpace back in the 60's, 70's and 80's when I was growing up. I could have kept in touch with so many of my old friends over the years, but now it would be next to impossible to find them.

Chris
Old 07-11-06, 11:18 AM

I'm too depressed to care.
Old 07-11-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

facebook #1
Old 07-11-06, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Okay Groucho, fill me in.

Chris
Old 07-11-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is a black day for baseba..err..the internet.
Old 07-11-06, 11:23 AM
Admin-Thanos

I guess I'm getting too old. A good portion of the myspace webpages are so badly constructed that you can barely read any text at all as it's sometimes the same color as the outrageous backgrounds. It just doesn't appeal to me at all.
Old 07-11-06, 11:34 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by VinVega
I guess I'm getting too old. A good portion of the myspace webpages are so badly constructed that you can barely read any text at all as it's sometimes the same color as the outrageous backgrounds. It just doesn't appeal to me at all.
Or the horrible music that loads on everyone's myspace profile.
Old 07-11-06, 11:36 AM
Mod Emeritus

Who has the most time to surf the internet?
Old 07-11-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess I just don't understand this MySpace phenomenon. No one I know who isn't a teenager uses it. Does that mean that teenagers alone are enough to drive up all this traffic?
Old 07-11-06, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Okay Groucho, fill me in.
I'm too busy wearing black jeans and moaning about the state of the world at the local coffee shop.
Old 07-11-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hahn
I guess I just don't understand this MySpace phenomenon. No one I know who isn't a teenager uses it. Does that mean that teenagers alone are enough to drive up all this traffic?

When they log on and off 10 times a day to leave little retarded messenges to each other it does.
Old 07-11-06, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by hahn
Maybe teenagers make up a majority of the traffic, but there are a lot of 20 somethings that use MySpace.

Chris
Old 07-11-06, 11:42 AM

I'm too busy wearing black jeans and moaning about the state of the world at the local coffee shop.

Ooooh, wireless Internet connection!

Chris
Old 07-11-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks to MySpace I know have many many pictures of all the delicious high school girls that work at the local grocery store. I also know what kind of cars they drive and when they get off work. Ha ha ha ha evil laughter Now I just have to get my basement ready for my new "guests". Ha ha ha rubs hands
Old 07-11-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe teenagers make up a majority of the traffic, but there are a lot of 20 somethings that use MySpace.

Chris
Yes, but they are on there to meet teenage girls.
Old 07-11-06, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mopower
When they log on and off 10 times a day to leave little retarded messenges to each other it does.
You may feel that way at 29 (or so), but go back 15 years when you were 14. Don't you think you may have been one of the teens that left 'retarted' messages to your friends?

And I don't actually think they are 'retarded' messages. They are just 'juvenile' in nature. What I am more worried about is their attrocious (and please forgive me if I've mispelled any of my words) spelling habits. If that is the way they are going to be filling out job resumes in their future, then McDonalds is going to be overstaffed!

Chris
Old 07-11-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You may feel that way at 29 (or so), but go back 15 years when you were 14. Don't you think you may have been one of the teens that left 'retarted' messages to your friends?
Nope.
Old 07-11-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, the only way we can take down this phenomenon is for us squares to create myspace pages. Then it will no longer be cool. Just like how we made earrings and backwards hats uncool.
Old 07-11-06, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Myspace brings back the glory days of mid-90s Geocities homepages, complete with embedded music.

I really don't get it.
Old 07-11-06, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
I have a myspace page that I never use. But even so the design was making me sick so I found a really nice tutorial on fixing it up and now it looks great! But there's barely any content.
I'll be your friend!

Chris
Old 07-11-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a myspace page that I never use. But even so the design was making me sick so I found a really nice tutorial on fixing it up and now it looks great! But there's barely any content.
Old 07-11-06, 12:29 PM

I'll be your friend!

Chris
How does my post a minute later and quoting you, appear before yours?

edited to add: now our times are reversed.

Chris

Last edited by mrpayroll; 07-11-06 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-11-06, 12:37 PM

mrpayroll must have hit 88mph in the DeLorean when he posted that message.
Old 07-11-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mood: Sad
Old 07-11-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega
A good portion of the myspace webpages are so badly constructed that you can barely read any text at all as it's sometimes the same color as the outrageous backgrounds.
I've only been to the site a few times and saw this on every page I checked out. The layout needs a lot of work.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.