Old 07-11-06, 09:28 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

The Onion fools a Pro-Lifer.

The original Blog post

The Follow-Up (still clueless)

Some of the comments are hilarious.
Old 07-11-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My dad writes an environmental policy blog and he was duped by the Onion story about Cindy Sheehan having another son killed in Katrina. He wrote a whole entry about it and I was like... uhh... You're gonna have to change that. It did lead to a pretty funny and unique aspect of his site, however. He now realizes that the Onion is satire but he uses it to make points since they are usually lampooning things with an element of truth.
Old 07-11-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I remember when the Chinese state newspaper picked up an Onion story and ran with it. It was the one about the Congress threatening to leave Washington D.C. unless the city built them a new capitol building.
Old 07-11-06, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That is great.
Old 07-11-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I am just stunned that people would take Onion articles seriously - forget about knowing if it's a fake/joke publication, just reading the headline should be enough to figure out it's fake, even if you only have one working brain cell - shows to go how much thought these pro-lifers put into things...
Old 07-11-06, 10:08 AM

Oh for fuck's sake. It's a hilarious story, but it's hardly the basis of making blanket attacks against pro-lifers.
Old 07-11-06, 10:14 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Groucho
Oh for fuck's sake. It's a hilarious story, but it's hardly the basis of making blanket attacks against pro-lifers.
Seriously.

slop...what's up?
Old 07-11-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Get over yourself.
Old 07-11-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

are abortion mills as bad as puppy mills?
Old 07-11-06, 10:33 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Pet owners, abortionists - it's all the same.
Old 07-11-06, 10:34 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

I think we've possibly been had by Pete. Pete gets, on average, 2 site hits a month. And one is his mother. So, in order to boost his hits, he does the most asinine thing you could possible do on the internets, on purpose, cite "the Onion" as a reputable source on anything, hoping it will be track backed on bigger and better blogs and draw people to his worthless blog, and making him feel like his blog life has meaning. It worked, bringing in many people and making his hit counter spin. It's so successful that he does it again, pretending he actually believes that "Miss Weber" is an actual, living person and not a fictional character like Sherlock Holmes or Harry Potter. Well, Pete, congrats. You have increased your blogs visibility and put off for another day the day when you give up blogging altogether because you realize no one but your mother gives a rat's ass about your thoughts regarding abortion.

Alternatively, Pete is just a complete douchebag. I can go either way.
Old 07-11-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk God

People at my church have been fooled by the Onion on occasion. I use to laugh at them, but now it is just sad.
Old 07-11-06, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I use to laugh at them, but now it is just sad.
That pretty much sums up how I feel about The Onion itself.
Old 07-11-06, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But it is a good example of the kind of non-thinking, kneejerk reaction a lot of folks (on both sides) have concerning these types of issues.

On a similar note, my work colleague ran up to me one day last week just smiling ear-to-ear with a printout of a piece that Michael Bay had written over his disbelief that March of the Penguins could outgross The Island, and how it supported everything he always says about how great Michael Bay movies are versus "artistic" films. Of course, I got the last laugh when I explained The Onion to him, and how the article was actually mocking his beliefs.
Old 07-11-06, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by slop101
I am just stunned that people would take Onion articles seriously - forget about knowing if it's a fake/joke publication, just reading the headline should be enough to figure out it's fake, even if you only have one working brain cell - shows to go how much thought these pro-lifers put into things...
I don't know. Their stories and headlines walk that absurd/possible line very well. I was certainly fooled by my first exposure to The Onion.

It's a crazy world. That news bit yesterday about the guy who traded a red paperclip for a house definitely could've come out of The Onion, but hey, that was true.
Old 07-11-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk God

That pretty much sums up how I feel about The Onion itself.

Actually, me too. At some point (around the Iraq war I think) they started to be more concerned with subtle (not real subtle) political statements instead of being funny.
Old 07-11-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Actually, me too. At some point (around the Iraq war I think) they started to be more concerned with subtle (not real subtle) political statements that I disagree with instead of being funny.
Fixed.
Old 07-11-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Meh. I can still find Joh Stewart funny when I disagree with him. The Onion decided to quit being funny on those things, however. If it were just extreme right winger that thought so, I might agree with your "fixed" but as it is.....not so much.
Old 07-11-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think everyone should have an abortion!

I owe my life to my mom's previous abortions. If my mom kept her first two pregnancies instead of getting them aborted, she never would have gotten pregnant with me. So in a way, having abortions IS a right to life... MY life.
Old 07-11-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Onion fools alot of people.

I showed the "Phish Collapse Onstage: Popular Band Overwhelmed By Stench Of Audience" article to a coworker, and she fell for it hook, line, & sinker.
Old 07-11-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

my mom believed an onion article about there being a hidden military base at camp snoopy
Old 07-11-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love this response to the follow-up.
Pete, please: listen carefully. "Caroline Weber" does not exist.

The Onion article you attacked is not "her piece." It was written by a comedy writer. Who is not "Caroline Weber," has not just had an abortion, and is more than likely not even a woman.

It is truly stunning that you do not understand this. That you still do not understand this, even after being mocked mercilessly on the previous thread. Even after being told, repeatedly, to get a clue, you're still in dire need of one. Oof.

Everyone who read that article--including plenty of pro-lifers, to judge by the previous comment thread--realized that it was a gag. You were the single person--quite possibly on the planet--who did not. This is a very illuminating sign about your inability to tell the difference between reality and your own flights of fancy, Pete. You need help, buddy. And badly.

In the story you tell in this post, it appears that you've been taken in again--this time by a woman who clearly wanted to get a psycho anti-abortion zealot out of her face and who therefore decided to feed him a line of bullshit to see how much he'd accept. Her little plan appears to have worked far better than she could reasonably have expected.

The point of the Onion satire, of course, is that women who are "psyched" about having an abortion do not exist in the real world. The reason that piece is funny is because it shows the absurdity of the world you seriously believe you are living in. Everyone (even pro-lifers) recognizes how absurd the "Caroline Weber" caricature is. Everyone, that is, except for you.

Take. The. Hint. You're living in a whacked-out fantasy, Pete. For your own sake, please return to the real world.
Rieux | 07.11.06 - 1:13 am | #
Old 07-11-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

OT: Hmm. When did the reply time become the time the reply window was opened, not the time the reply was posted?
Old 07-11-06, 11:28 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by slop101
I think everyone should have an abortion!
That's physically impossible for 1/2 the population.
Old 07-11-06, 12:18 PM

So Jesus did not make a walk-on appearance on the 700 Club in 2002???!!?

http://www.theonion.com/content/node...8&special=2002

I thought the reason I did not know know about this was because I never watch the show.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.