Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Holy crap! Almost $3K for repairs on a car with 150K miles?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-11-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Took my car into the shop. Crap!

So it needs brakes (99% worn), rotors, and flushing. Needs a new boot? on the front right drive axle. Some kind of boot on a ball joint is cracked and rusted. Struts are original, but ok. To replace just them it's $1589.

I need all new tires (that and brakes are the reason it's in the shop).

So... I know we're going to say no on the struts, they're still ok, just old.

Wow. Wasn't expecting it to be THAT bad...
Old 07-11-06, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

just get a new car

not worth it spending all this money on such an old car
Old 07-11-06, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=465673

Karma has bit your anti-Hyundai ass
Old 07-11-06, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yup, just went through that with my old Pontiac wil 105k.

New Battery ~50
New Water Pump ~50
New Alternator ~100
Window Fixed ~185
Head Gasket ~1600
Tires ~400

I did the work on the first 3 myself, then the head gasket (both!) blew and it need new tries this fall, so I said screw it, sold it off and got a new car.
Old 07-11-06, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

don't know what you drive or exactly how bad the rest of the stuff is, but what you've listed is about $100 worth of parts (if your rotors don't require new bearings be pressed into them or anything). a cv joint boot (constant velocity ball joint...) is like $10-$15 bucks. but if it's damaged....you may need a new half-axle. not sure why a shop would replace just the boot without taking it apart first to inspect for damage.

hell, you can get a new half-axle (rebuilt, with a new boot) for $80....shouldn't be more than $250-300 with labor installed. go to meineke or some local shop to get that done. (if the boot is cracked or torn, there is a chance that your axle may be damaged).

you and your husband or boyfriend (or girlfriend or farm animal...i don't know you) should be able to change out your rotors and pads and bleed your brake system....it's not hard at all.

you're getting ass-reamed on labor.
Old 07-11-06, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a Subaru!
Old 07-11-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nevermind you're cracking me up.

My Subie has 150K miles on it, how many does your Hyundai have?

Brakes & tires are necessary replacements - did I say ANYTHING about the engine?
Old 07-11-06, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

a fucking subaru?
Old 07-11-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by crankyman
don't know what you drive or exactly how bad the rest of the stuff is, but what you've listed is about $100 worth of parts (if your rotors don't require new bearings be pressed into them or anything). a cv joint boot (constant velocity ball joint...) is like $10-$15 bucks. but if it's damaged....you may need a new half-axle. not sure why a shop would replace just the boot without taking it apart first to inspect for damage.

hell, you can get a new half-axle (rebuilt, with a new boot) for $80....shouldn't be more than $250-300 with labor installed. go to meineke or some local shop to get that done. (if the boot is cracked or torn, there is a chance that your axle may be damaged).

you and your husband or boyfriend (or girlfriend or farm animal...i don't know you) should be able to change out your rotors and pads and bleed your brake system....it's not hard at all.

you're getting ass-reamed on labor.
That's what someone here at work was telling me. But my husband is an accountant!

My issue is now that I've let the brakes get to be 99% gone, I don't have a lot of opportunity to drive it around for better pricing. I have called a local shop down the street though that has always been very fair in pricing. The place this morning is a "auto care center".
Old 07-11-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mosquitobite
Brakes & tires are necessary replacements - did I say ANYTHING about the engine?
60,000 miles right now on my Hyundai.

My brakes cost $290, my tires $400.

Have fun!
Old 07-11-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nevermind
60,000 miles right now on my Hyundai.

My brakes cost $290, my tires $400.

Have fun!
Brakes $385, Tires $175.

It's not the subie's fault the owner is a female that doesn't know JACK about maintenance! The rest is stuff I've just let go without having checked because, well... the car's still RUNNING! I change the oil (well I pay to get it done)- that's all I gotta do, right?
Old 07-11-06, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's what someone here at work was telling me. But my husband is an accountant!

My issue is now that I've let the brakes get to be 99% gone, I don't have a lot of opportunity to drive it around for better pricing. I have called a local shop down the street though that has always been very fair in pricing. The place this morning is a "auto care center".
i'm a stupid i.t. guy.

i bought a manual from pep boys for $15 and went to town. there are forums out there that will give advice on what to get and where to go.

brembo rotors are $50 each at tirerack. pads are anywhere from $25 to $100 (if you autocross). brake fluid is like what....$10 a quart.....

tell you what. i'll do the work in exchange for my usual fee....
Old 07-11-06, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

struts don't last 150k miles They have probably been worn out for 75k-80k miles already, but are only a minor safety issue and can be delayed. $1500 just for them sounds high, I would think that price includes springs as well and even then a bit high.

Tires - shop around, you can find deals. I got a great deal at Costco using their $60 off a set of 4 coupon, not sure if that is still valid or not. Sears will price match to tirerack, you have to print the price and talk with a manager. Walmart has some great deals on name brand tires as well (like goodyear).

brakes being 99% gone - So what, you can still drive it. Brakes slowly wear out, they don't go poof and disappear. You have 1% that will get you to the next shop, and since you let it go that far already, damage is done, rotors need replaced no matter what you do at this point.

Sears even has deals on brakes, look around, call around for prices. Rotors can't be more than $50 each, pads $50/set. The rest is labor. Brake fluid flush is $6 in fluid and $75 in labor, is easy to do, but I understand many people can't or don't have tools.

It is more labor to just replace the CV boot than it is to put in a rebuilt axel. Unless you are doing it yourself, replace the half axel with a rebuilt one. It should be cheaper to go this route. $300 sounds about right.

not sure about the boot on the ball joint.

sounds like a little neglect over 150k miles is why it is $3000 all at once
Old 07-11-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Brakes slowly wear out, they don't go poof and disappear.
you haven't met my wife, apparently.
Old 07-11-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by crankyman
i'm a stupid i.t. guy.

i bought a manual from pep boys for $15 and went to town. there are forums out there that will give advice on what to get and where to go.

brembo rotors are $50 each at tirerack. pads are anywhere from $25 to $100 (if you autocross). brake fluid is like what....$10 a quart.....

tell you what. i'll do the work in exchange for my usual fee....
Case of beer? Do you live near Louisville, KY?
Old 07-11-06, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The new shop quoted me $435 for all the brake/rotor work. And less than $200 for the tires. I'll be driving it down the street to them at lunch.
Old 07-11-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

well, for the usual fee you might want to drink that case of beer yourself.....

i'm in georgia. like 4kegger said above...99% gone means you have at least an hour or two before your brakes disappear sending you crashing through a guard rail and plunging over a 200 ft. cliff where your car will explode hollywood style. at least you'll be hanging by a conveniently placed tree root about 6 feet down where someone will be able to save you by the finger tips....but only after you slip off their arm 3 or 4 times.
Old 07-11-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nevermind you're cracking me up.

My Subie has 150K miles on it, how many does your Hyundai have?

Unfortunately, what you were quoted sounds about right for a Subaru. Everything about Subaru maintenance is quite a bit more expensive than other imports. I don't know why, it just is.

I had a Subaru GLS wagon and absolutely loved it. What I didn't love was the cost of maintance and repairs. Even though it was a highly reliable vehicle and only need standard maintenance and replacing of worn parts.
Old 07-11-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There is a reason why it is called "preventative maintenance"
Old 07-11-06, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah...you should have been greasing those rotors so they didn't wear out in 150k miles.

wtf.
Old 07-11-06, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just paid about $3k on a new rebuilt transmission last year. Now it overheated on me, it needs brakes and a starter(soon).
I plan on doing all the work myself (hoping it's just a thermostat for the over heating problem). And the starter is just so I don't get stranded somewhere, but it's due. I have about 138,000 miles on a 1999.
Overall, it's still cheaper than a new car, and there's no car payment.

Last edited by IDrinkMolson; 07-11-06 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-11-06, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The new shop quoted me $435 for all the brake/rotor work. And less than $200 for the tires. I'll be driving it down the street to them at lunch.
That's a lot more reasonable. $435 might still be a bit high, I think I payed $300-something when I f'd mine up on my mit galant 4-5 years ago. $200 for times isn't worth looking elsewhere (if they do everything at once).

-p
Old 07-11-06, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

No offense to your husband, but he's a dumbass if he can't look at those figures and tell you it's a raw deal.

Don't take it to a local "Brake Shop". They will financially rape you repeatedly (some are very honest and good but you MUST get a referral or two from friends who have actually used them). Try to find a national brake shop which has at least a few more guidelines on pricing. The local yolks rip people like you off and close shop for a few months and go on vacation, because of people who just whip out the charge card or worse, cash.
Old 07-11-06, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
Overall, it's still cheaper than a new car, and there's no car payment.
that's the same conclusion we came to.

And the local place has been in business so long their sign isn't even a neon they're not going to close shop and run for $400. I've taken my car there before to have it looked at and when I pick it up they say, ah a wire was loose, we tightened it. How much to fix? They say, ah no charge, easy 2 seconds to fix. I tried to convince my husband that we should have gone there first but he wanted somewhere that could "do it all in one place" From now on, it will only be the pop shop.
Old 07-11-06, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

are those new tires you're getting at 175?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.