Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I want to go to an all inclusive resort but I'm afraid that I'll get sick...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-10-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I want to take a vacation for about a week, and was thinking about going on a cruise (I have never been on one before) but am afraid that my liquor bill will be $$$. I don't drink beer and am sticking with top shelf scotch and vodka (I donít do mixed drinks) I tend to drink from dammn near sun up to sun down - with a couple of naps in between and breaks for meals.

Given this info - coworkers, friends and the like are telling me to go to an all inclusive resort. They say itís like a cruise but with booze (top shelf booze). I would go in a heart beat, but I am afraid that I will get sick on the water. I am a big water drinker, but what about the ice cubes? What about what water is used to rinse out your glass, or used to wash the lettuce?

Am I over reacting? All of these all inclusive resorts are in Mexico or other Islands where the water is not safe to drink. I just don't want to go on vacation and then get sick, and lay in bed for a day or two - Hell I could do that at home.

Let me know what you all think.
Old 07-10-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We went to a Sandals all-inclusive resort for our honeymoon in Jamaica and I don't recall there being any issues with the water. We drank a lot, brushed our teeth, had iced tea with lunch...it was never an issue.

I doubt that any major resort, regardless of location, has issues with their water.
Old 07-10-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it's amusing that you're concerned about getting sick on the drinking water and not the gallon(s) of toxins known as alcohol you will be drinking.
Old 07-10-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

CPA-ESQ. - Cruising is great. If you haven't done it, you should try it. Top Shelf drinks you have to pay for though.. However i'd hope that you'd stop drinking long enough to go on some shore excursions and see whatever the area you are sailing to has to offer. Also big cruise ships don't rock like small boats.. on the big cruise ships you don't even notice it. I think you'd have a great time.

If you plan on doing nothing but drinking then i'm a little confused as to why you'd have to go somewhere special for that?
Old 07-10-06, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm headed to Puerto Vallarta for an all inclusive next month. I'm going to take precautions and just not use any water other than bottled drinking wter.
Old 07-10-06, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My boss just got back from an all-inclusive resort in the Riviara Maya area south of Cancun. Said he and his family had the time of their lives, the food and drink were free flowing and high quality, and there was no problem at all with the water. They did have bottled water available too.

I can't remember the resort name, so I'll have to get the specifics from him tomorrow, but it was through Apple Vacations at a 4 apple resort. Any resort at that level should be just fine.
Old 07-10-06, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by General Zod
If you plan on doing nothing but drinking then i'm a little confused as to why you'd have to go somewhere special for that?

I'm like Clark Grizwald when I am on vacation - I always feel that there is something else I should be doing. But If I am going to sit around or walk around the ship \ resort - I will be sporting a drink in my hand
Old 07-10-06, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My wife and I went to an all inclusive in Cancun and I was worried about the water too. I drank bottled water and even brushed my teeth with it. We didn't have any problems and I was told that the nice all inclusives are careful about the water since most visitors are foreign and they want them to come back. If you go explore off property is when you really need to be careful.
Old 07-10-06, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jason
I can't remember the resort name, so I'll have to get the specifics from him tomorrow, but it was through Apple Vacations at a 4 apple resort. Any resort at that level should be just fine.

Please Do!

Was the name of it RIU by chance?

Thanks Jason
Old 07-10-06, 04:48 PM

Don't worry about it. I've been to 3 all-inclusives, each in a different country: Mexico, Aruba and Antigua. I have never gotten sick at an all-inclusive and have done plenty of drinking (Water, beer, mixed-drinks on the rocks, etc). Its not in their interest to get their guests sick; a reputation for that would quickly kill business at their resort.

P.S. about the liquor quality: In Antigua, they used local/cheapie liquor. If you want top-shelf, you have to pay extra. Other all-inclusives may be the same. If this is important to you, it is worth checking out before booking a resort.
Old 07-10-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think a resort that provided water that made guests sick for their entire stay would be in business very long.
Old 07-10-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
I think it's amusing that you're concerned about getting sick on the drinking water and not the gallon(s) of toxins known as alcohol you will be drinking.
Old 07-10-06, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've gone all over the place, and only once was the water an issue (wasnt me, but someone in my group)....and i think it was from eating off-site, instead of at the all-inclusive.

If you' like....if you fly me out, i'll be your personal water tester...kinda like roman times, but I'll have my iPod.

-p
Old 07-10-06, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Am I over reacting?
YES
Old 07-10-06, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the only place in the world where i couldn't use the water was in central africa. but the army gave us bottled water.

all-inclusive resorts will have bottled water so it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 07-10-06, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Chase the water down with some liquor to kill the toxins.

I'm sure a resort knows whether or not their water is toxic.
Old 07-10-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you're going to a classy enough establishment that offers top shelf alcohol instead of typical well drinks for no extra money per drink . . . they almost definately filter their water or use bottled.

I went to the Riu Cancun for spring break in March, it was a beautiful property, and nobody got sick. They said that you shouldn't use tap water. They preferred you use the bottled water that was constantly stocked in your room for things like brushing your teeth. Also, they claimed filtered water is used to clean lettuce and stuff like that. We didn't notice anyone getting sick. None of the six of us did.

Check out the Riu line of hotels, we loved it. Each room has a liquor dispenser and there is always a bar open. You should realize though that "top shelf" liquor down there isn't what we would call "top shelf" in the states. It was all domestic stuff, but they used Smirnoff for vodka, not Grey Goose.
Old 07-10-06, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I spent a week at a less expensive all inclusive resort in Cozumel. No problems at all

if you learn nothing else in spanish for your trip, learn this

Agua Purificado

and you will be fine. There is purified water almost everywhere that a tourist is expected to go.

The only time I got a little concerned was when we went for some local food while we were there. I asked one of the friendlier guys working in the resort where he would take a girlfriend on a date to impress her with good food, somewhere that was not "touristy'. He told me about a place, got a taxi to take us there, and I had an excellent meal that tasted like nothing else I have ever eaten called "mexican food". The waiters didn't speak english, I could point and speak enough spanish to get by. We never got sick from that either.

Don't worry
Old 07-10-06, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just a minor question. I keep hearing GREAT things about Sandals. Where is the best place to book a vacation through them?
Old 07-10-06, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by nazz
My wife and I went to an all inclusive in Cancun and I was worried about the water too. I drank bottled water and even brushed my teeth with it. We didn't have any problems and I was told that the nice all inclusives are careful about the water since most visitors are foreign and they want them to come back. If you go explore off property is when you really need to be careful.
That's what I remember too. My hotel had a little card in the room about the water, it being filtered and safe to use.
Old 07-10-06, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe try the all-inclusive Betty Ford resort.
Old 07-11-06, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mittman
Check out the Riu line of hotels, we loved it. Each room has a liquor dispenser and there is always a bar open. You should realize though that "top shelf" liquor down there isn't what we would call "top shelf" in the states. It was all domestic stuff, but they used Smirnoff for vodka, not Grey Goose.
Thanks - well I guess I could live with that for a week.
Old 07-11-06, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
(Yada yada yada)

I don't drink beer and am sticking with top shelf scotch and vodka (I donít do mixed drinks) I tend to drink from dammn near sun up to sun down - with a couple of naps in between and breaks for meals.

(Yada yada yada)

Hell I could do that at home.

Let me know what you all think.
I think you've answered your own question
Old 07-11-06, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by kantonburg
Just a minor question. I keep hearing GREAT things about Sandals. Where is the best place to book a vacation through them?
My Mom.
Old 07-11-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by El Scorcho

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.