Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

anyone using a Panasonic electric razor?

Old 07-09-06, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

anyone using a Panasonic electric razor?

I was thinking of switching from a Braun Synchro (model 7526) to a Panasonic wet/dry shaver. The ability to shave in the shower seems great to me. With the Braun, I have to wait 15 or 20 minutes after showering to get a decent shave. There are 2 Panasonics I am looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&n=3760901 ($110 from Amazon)

and

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...ance&n=3760901 ($250 from Amazon)

Is the more expensive one better, aside from the LCD screen? The cheaper ones seems to get great reviews.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by BobDole42; 07-09-06 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-09-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I had an earlier model years ago when they cost about $350.

Fantastic shave. But one big drawback. To make it waterproof, it is sealed and the rechargable battery is not replacable when it wears out. Eventually, it couldn't hold enough charge for one shave and it became a piece of trash. For the money spent, I was a VERY unhappy camper. I don't know whether newer models overcame this. At <$100, I probably wouldn't care so much either.
Old 07-09-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by OldDude

Fantastic shave. But one big drawback. To make it waterproof, it is sealed and the rechargable battery is not replacable when it wears out. Eventually, it couldn't hold enough charge for one shave and it became a piece of trash. For the money spent, I was a VERY unhappy camper. I don't know whether newer models overcame this. At <$100, I probably wouldn't care so much either.
hm. Good to know. Maybe I'll get the $110 one then. I'm generally unhappy with the quality of the shave I get from the Braun. I guess I'll give the Panny a try.
Old 07-09-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldDude

I agree with this, same thing happened to me. I actually went to a Braun Synchro 8500 with the self cleaner and have been happy.
Old 07-09-06, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

$350 for a shaver???!!!111!!!!

My $40 Norelco has lasted for 2+ years now. I used to buy expensive shavers but realized it's a losing battle.
Old 07-09-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
$350 for a shaver???!!!111!!!!
That's true, but it was a gift. My Mom gave both me and my brother-in-law one for Xmas. We both had them wear out after about three years. First I tried to get battery replaced -- no can do. Then I learned replacement cost. My reaction was same as yours.

But while it worked, it did a great job. I did wet shave, with shaving soap, rinsed in running water. I really liked it until the battery issue surfaced.
Old 07-09-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alright, I'm going to order one today. Amazon has the ES 8077ES and the ES8078S for $110. The 8078ES doesn't ship for 2 weeks. Is there a difference between them? Thanks!
Old 07-09-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am not overly pleased wiyh my braun. It has the different size holes that are supposed to get ant hair. THe shaver does well on my face, but not on my neck.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&n=3760901

I was considering switching to a Norelco with the round heads to see if it worked better.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&n=3760901

Anybody have experience with the two styles?
Old 07-09-06, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've had NO problems with the battery in my Panny Shaver & I've had mine for 5 years. The key is to only place the shaver in the inductive charger when the battery has run down, not after every shave!

Sonic
Old 07-09-06, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by BobDole42
I was thinking of switching from a Braun Synchro (model 7526) to a Panasonic wet/dry shaver. The ability to shave in the shower seems great to me. With the Braun, I have to wait 15 or 20 minutes after showering to get a decent shave. There are 2 Panasonics I am looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...ance&n=3760901 ($110 from Amazon)
I have this one and I love it. I love the cleaner and for the most part it gives a good shave. BTW, unlike other shaver cleaners the solution is water based not alchohol. It seems like many reviews think this is good. Anyway, although this razor has a special cutting area in the center for hairs that lay down against the face and finer hairs I think all razors like this(Screen razors) will have problems cutting them. With that said the back trimmer can be used to get those so it works out. But let me say that I'm not one to use it daily and I'm thinking daily use would probably give the best shave. I originally bought it to shave my head but it worked fine on my face so I started using it there.

Also, while it will cut with shave foams(recommended if you choose wet shaving), creams, and other liquids I think I get the best cut while dry.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-09-06 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-09-06, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
I went the other way. I had a Panny wet/dry for about 5 years or so and 18 months ago my wife bought me a Braun Activator. I never really used the Panny in the shower or anything, so didn't benefit from the wet aspect. The Braun does a reasonably similar job and smells nice (from the cleaning solution).
Old 07-09-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've had one similar to this one for about 5 years:
http://www.amazon.com/PANASONIC-ES40...?ie=UTF8&s=hpc

Mine is actually the Panasonic ES4001.

The battery still holds a full charge. It still gives an excellent shave. Although I switch off between this one and a Mach 3 Turbo, I highly recommend the Panasonic.

Last edited by sracer; 07-09-06 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-09-06, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

just pulled the trigger. I'll have it on Wed (Amazon Prime kicks ass!) I will post my thoughts in a few days. thank you all for the advice!
Old 07-09-06, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by freelans
I don't understand why anyone would get an electric. Have you tried a straight razor or even a mach3 while showering?
If you haven't you should. Bad skin? Try using hair conditioner on your face instead of shaving cream.
convenience, yo. Shaving with an electric is quick and can be done without paying attention (i.e. while reading the news in the morning).
Old 07-09-06, 11:59 PM

I don't understand why anyone would get an electric. Have you tried a straight razor or even a mach3 while showering?
If you haven't you should. Bad skin? Try using hair conditioner on your face instead of shaving cream.
Old 07-10-06, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the ES4001 also. Good shaver, but not perfect. I used to have a Remington TCT, dropped it and broke it, got another, it wouldn't stay charged, this takes a beating, and it works in the shower. Niftyness.
Old 07-10-06, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

convenience, yo. Shaving with an electric is quick and can be done without paying attention (i.e. while reading the news in the morning).
Exactly the reason!

You read his mind!
Old 07-12-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Panasonic shaver came in the mail today. I love it!

For those of you that own it - where you do you store it between uses? Do you keep it in the vortex cleaner?
Old 07-13-06, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Panasonic shaver came in the mail today. I love it!

For those of you that own it - where you do you store it between uses? Do you keep it in the vortex cleaner?

I think you can. I believe the instruction booklet says that the system won't overcharge the battery. What I do is make use of the plastic cover for the shaver head and I just lay it on the counter.
Old 07-13-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I think you can. I believe the instruction booklet says that the system won't overcharge the battery. What I do is make use of the plastic cover for the shaver head and I just lay it on the counter.
Cool. I was thinking about just leaving it in the shower with the plastic cover on. How often do you clean it?

Thanks for the tips - I am really digging this thing!

This is probably an obvious and dumb question - but what do I do with my Braun Synchro? I can't imagine that anyone would buy a used shaver. Into the trash?
Old 07-13-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had the Braun, and also have a real problem getting any neck hairs. The problem is that a blade gives me bumps. I usually end up using a beard trimmer with no attachment to get my neck hairs. I'm thinking of just going completely back to blade though, and just seeing if my neck will grow accustomed to it.
Old 10-13-18, 03:31 AM

Re: anyone using a Panasonic electric razor?

I apologize for bumping this old thread...just my experience...

Like others, it is a personal decision. I never got along with the various electric shavers that I have tried. I prefer a razor and gel but mostly just stick with a beard these days.

I didn't see anyone else suggest this so I thought I would throw it out there. If he is the razor type of fellow, consider a razor of the month club for a year as a gift. I've heard great things from others that have them. Another alternative is to seek out someone who turns pens on a lathe for a hobby. The supply catalogs for the pens also have razor handles that fit standard blades among many other things. I have a custom one made from deer antler that I turned down for myself and use when I need to trim my neck. It definitely looks much better than the cheap plastic things they sell in stores.

You need to get a razor that is suited for how you plan on using it and what kind of beard you have. You need to get a razor that is suited for how you plan on using it and what kind of beard you have.

Last edited by Georger; 11-28-18 at 07:32 AM.