Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Got any Newport News/Hampton/Williamsburg/Jamestown Virginia tips?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-08-06, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We'll be hitting that area the first week of August for my daughter's Junior Olympics swimming efforts.

We'll have one day off and thought we'd go to Colonial Williamsburg or Jamestown, etc. I saw there was an admission charge for W, but I seem to remember going there for part of a day about ten years ago and there was no cost. Is it still free to wander around but not enter buildings?

What do you recommend for fun in the area? We'll have a few young children w/us plus my parents on some of the days.

Any good restaurants? We'll be staying in Hampton Roads on Mercury Blvd.

After that the Pusser clan'll be in NJ and Bucks County, PA. You were warned.
Old 07-08-06, 07:00 PM

virginia beach is about 30-40 min away from hampton. you could head out to the beach for a day. busch gardens and water country are in williamsburg. if you're the museum sort there are tons of museums in the area as well.
Old 07-09-06, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for that bit of info. I'm surprised there aren't others with valuable knowledge on this subject.
Old 07-10-06, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mercury Boulevard = Ghetto. You can however go to Busch Gardens or the waterpark, both in Wiliamsburg. Colonial wiliamsburg is ok, not great for kids. There's the huge naval presence in norfolk, and of course the boardwalk at VA Beach.
Old 07-10-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We're in da ghetto?

Someone told me that col. will was good for kids w/old time stuff to do like a blacksmith's shop, etc. Been to Jamestown?
Old 07-10-06, 10:09 AM

The Virginia Living Museum in Newport News would probably be worth a visit for the kids, as would the Virginia Marine Science Museum (now called the Virginia Aquarium) in Virginia Beach.

There's also Ocean Breeze Fun Park in Virginia Beach.
Old 07-10-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What are the better areas for hotels? I wanted to be close to the swimming which is in lower Newport News.
Old 07-10-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I apologize. I should have classified ghetto. It depends exactly where on mercury boulevard you are. West of the hampton coliseum is pretty bad. Right at it, or east of it would not scare me in the least. Although it ain't Orlando.

But I had to walk west down mercury boulevard one night after my car was towed (only had enough cash for the tow) and it was not pretty. This was also about 7 years ago. However, I am from Richmond, and I havent' spent a ton of time down there. You might want to also think about hitting up some of the local battlefields. If you make it into Richmond you can go to the museum and the white house of the confederacy. Other than that, not much to see in Richmond.

Hampton is basically where the Vick brothers grew up, as well as some other fairly famous athletes.
Old 07-10-06, 11:36 AM

btw in the summer around here it is pretty humid so jamestown and williamsburg being authentic and all, with the heat sometimes the aroma isn't all that great...

the VA Air and Space museum in downtown hampton is a nice place to take kids. there's a carousel outside and IMAX theater.

speaking of the vick brothers, that incident with marcus vick and the mcdonalds with the gun happened about 2 miles from where i live. heh.
Old 07-10-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Thanks for that bit of info. I'm surprised there aren't others with valuable knowledge on this subject.
I lived in VA Beach for a year so I'll give you what I know/remember. VA Beach is an hour from Hampton. 45 minutes if no traffic, but good luck with that. Someone mentioned Ocean Breeze. If you want to go to a waterpark just go (edited: Watercountry). It's a very nice amusement park as is Buschgardens. If you only have a day and WANT to do the historic thing then Jamestown is a pretty good day trip. I'd personally stay away from VA Beach if you only have a day. It's a beach and there is nothing special there except Sal's Bella Pizza on the Blvd. God I miss Sal's. DAMN YOU BUFORD!!!!

Last edited by kantonburg; 07-10-06 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-10-06, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We just got back from Williamsburg last weekend.
I would recommend Water Country USA and then Bush Gardens.
Old 07-10-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh I forgot about Water Country. Love that place too. DAMMIT BUFORD!!!
Old 07-10-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by deadlax
I apologize. I should have classified ghetto. It depends exactly where on mercury boulevard you are. West of the hampton coliseum is pretty bad. Right at it, or east of it would not scare me in the least. Although it ain't Orlando.

It's west of the coliseum, west of I-64, and just west of Aberdeen Road. I picked that cuz it was closer to the swim event which is about one mile northwest of the hotel.

I'll get the swim place name and see if anyone's heard of it.

edit to add:

Venue:

Midtown Community Center
570 McLawhorn Dr, Newport News, VA

Here's the map from hotel area to venue:

Map shows the hotel within a block or two. The right is the coliseum.

What kinds of stores are in the Coliseum Mall? Upscale or average stuff like Sears? Sounds like not too fancy.

Last edited by Buford T Pusser; 07-10-06 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-10-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quit DAMMITING me!

I probably won't hit the ocean and Sal's or the water park since we'll be at swimming all of the other days and we have a bunch of water parks within 45 minutes of our home.
Old 07-10-06, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We went to Williamsburg a couple of months ago and felt the price to walk inside the houses was WAY higher than the worth. Wouldn't do it again.
Old 07-10-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Could you just walk around outside without paying?

Do you like antiques and historic architecture or not so much?

Can you walk at your own pace or do you have to follow tour guides?
Old 07-10-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quit DAMMITING me!

I probably won't hit the ocean and Sal's or the water park since we'll be at swimming all of the other days and we have a bunch of water parks within 45 minutes of our home.
ok ok...I just miss Sal's *tear*
Old 07-10-06, 02:27 PM

What kinds of stores are in the Coliseum Mall? Upscale or average stuff like Sears? Sounds like not too fancy.
coliseum has hechts, jc penny, there's a barnes and nobles, it's regular average mall. if you want classy mall, there's mcarthur center in norfolk.
if you want movies go off exit 261A on 64 and there's a AMC24 with a bunch of stores surrounding it and a couple of restaurants.
Old 07-10-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by beatccr
if you want movies go off exit 261A on 64 and there's a AMC24 with a bunch of stores surrounding it and a couple of restaurants.
Good suggestion. The movie theater in the Coliseum Mall or right near it is not one I would want to watch a movie in. Looking at the map you should be fine. I've never been scared walking around any time i've been there, it's just not that upscale.
Old 07-10-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

After reading this stuff and checking Travelocity I've decided to look for a better place. Found three that are about $50 more-two of them are suites although one has no pool so I'm discounting that one.

The first is LaQuinta near the Coliseum Mall.

The other two are north of the swimming venue but it sounds like it's a better area of town.

True?

Which would be closer to restaurants, etc. or are they as close together as I'm guessing.

Crestwood Suites of Newport News

11 OLD OYSTER POINT -no pool, but kitchenette

Comfort Suites Newport News

12570 JEFFERSON AVE Newport News, VA 23602

pool and free breakfast

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...&2s=va&2z=&r=f

Last edited by Buford T Pusser; 07-10-06 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-10-06, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was also just informed that we will done w/swimming by lunch so we will be looking for afternoon/evening activities more than I thought.

Maybe we will hit the beach and Sal's.

We'll have Tue. and Thu. afternoon/evening and Wed. all day.
Old 07-10-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are a few hotels at the Coliseum, including Holiday Inn, La Quinta, maybe one more. They are all grouped together because the hotels are mainly profitable due to coliseum attendance. There is also a waffle house right there. I am less familiar with the places on Jefferson Avenue
Old 07-10-06, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just tried to book two rooms via Travelocity and it doesn't show the hotel. But if I put in one room it does show up. Yet there are plenty of room options so it doesn't seem to be a one room left issue. Odd that.
Old 07-10-06, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was also just informed that we will done w/swimming by lunch so we will be looking for afternoon/evening activities more than I thought.

Maybe we will hit the beach and Sal's.

We'll have Tue. and Thu. afternoon/evening and Wed. all day.
If you go to Sal's make it's not the one on the strip. There is one on atlantic ave (strip) but the one I'm talking about is on VA Beach BLVD. Just ask any local. Steak and Cheese sub only please. Oh and the owner's triplet daughters worked there when I lived there, nice plus
http://home.hamptonroads.com/dining/reviews.cfm?id=666
Old 07-10-06, 08:14 PM

five guys burger and fries is a good place to eat too. and there are TONS of buffets all over the area. really good Chinese buffets in portsmouth and va beach.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.