Woman has baby at Wal-Mart, did not know she was pregnant

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-07-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Heh? How could you not know?

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=344619

A North Ogden woman had a very memorable moment in, of all places, Wal-Mart! 21-year old Brittany Miller was shopping there last Tuesday and left with a whole lot more than she bargained for.

Last week, Miller took home one item you would never find on a clearance shelf. Brittany Miller always said you could get almost anything at Wal-Mart...

Brittany Miller: "I guess you can even get babies at Wal-Mart. Grandma and I went shopping. I went in the bathroom and out she came!"

Bob Burnham, EMT: "The call came in for a woman having a baby in the restroom at Wal-Mart."

EMT Bob Burnham just happened to be across the street.

Bob Burnham: "They were in a stall, kind of cramped, so I got some shoelaces from the store to tie the cord off. I went to get the towels first and then the shoelaces."

Fair to say, delivering a baby was not part of this manager's job description.

Josh Garbanati, Assistant Mngr.: "I was sweating a lot. My heart was just racing. We just wanted to make sure that baby was going to be okay."

And six pound, one ounce baby Kali was okay. She left the store wrapped up in, what else, a Wal-Mart Beach towel.

Brittany Miller: "I had no pain, nothing."

Nobody expects to have a baby in a store bathroom, but Miller claims she didn't even know she was pregnant. She had no morning sickness and no unusual movement -- even though doctors estimate she was a week overdue!

"They kept saying, 'We just had a little girl, we just had a little girl.' And we had to page grandma because she was shopping."

Grandma quickly called dad.

Brittany Miller: "He's like, 'What!' And I said, 'Grandma, tell him I had a baby.' And she's like, 'I'm trying, I'm trying.'"

Baby Kalie has already eaned the nickname "Marty", short for Wal-Mart, of course.
Old 07-07-06, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How is it you don't know you're pregnant when you're a week overdue?
Old 07-07-06, 10:27 AM

The bigger surprise would be finding a 21-year-old girl in Utah who ISN'T pregnant.
Old 07-07-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

she must have already been fat or something. I'd imagine even the dumbest of people would be able to notice something growing inside them. that's like not realizing your nose falling off.
Old 07-07-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
she must have already been fat or something. I'd imagine even the dumbest of people would be able to notice something growing inside them. that's like not realizing your nose falling off.
Ignoring the REALLY obvious things (getting fat, etc)....uhm, not having your period for 9 months....

-p
Old 07-07-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What kind of idiot couldn't tell she was pregnant. As Peddy pointed out, hello? No period for nine months? That's a dead giveaway, isn't it? Especially for a young woman.
Old 07-07-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk God

TO be fair, I would be this happens at wal-mart a lot.
Old 07-07-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

At Walmart.......'nough said. The last time I went to a walmart I wanted to burn the motherfucker down because of the obnoxious shoppers in there. I was looking for a FW deal and decided to brave it. I did go to one walmart that was really nice (on par with target), but that was in a really yuppy town. They sold 5-6 diff types of plasmas and carried a bunch of higher-end stuff.....unlike the ones around here.

-p
Old 07-07-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pedagogue
At Walmart....... They sold 5-6 diff types of plasmas
Wal-Mart sells blood plasma, too? What's next? "Irv ... hip replacement in Aisle 4!"

Old 07-07-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Garbanati, Assistant Mngr.
I was sweating a lot. My heart was just racing. We just wanted to make sure that baby was going to be okay.
Kind of late for that Josh. Once it's being born in a Walmart out of someone fat/dumb enough to not know they're pregnant, the little gal's probably got about zero chances of being ok. I guess at least she'll have an interesting story to tell the store's customers when they're coming through her line 20-some years down the road.

Originally Posted by mllefoo
What kind of idiot couldn't tell she was pregnant. As Peddy pointed out, hello? No period for nine months? That's a dead giveaway, isn't it? Especially for a young woman.
I think it's fairly normal for morbidly obese women to have irregular/non-existent periods. A friend of a friend of mine is an OB nurse and has this horrible story she likes to tell about some extremely fat woman that came into the ER in labor, with no idea she was even pregnant. They had to do a C-section and my friend's friend got stuck holding back rolls of cut-open flab while other nurses hosed the area out so the dr. could get to the baby.

Last edited by maxfisher; 07-07-06 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-07-06, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I think it's fairly normal for morbidly obese women to have irregular/non-existent periods.
That's because a lot of us fatsos have polycystic ovarian syndrome. However, if you have a single clue about your body and the way it's supposed to work, you would realize that not having a period is not a good thing, and you would (it is to be hoped) hie your ass to a doctor. But we've already established that this woman was not, shall we say, a brain trust for the generation to come.
Old 07-07-06, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk God

i bet she knew and either didnt want to tell the father (or didnt know who it was) or didnt want to tell her parents
Old 07-07-06, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm hoping against hope that most young, stupid, morbidly obese women who drop babies without realizing they were pregnant *don't* go on to squash them by mistake in the first few months.
Old 07-07-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here is another example of this situation:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=428462
Old 07-07-06, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by adamblast
I'm hoping against hope that most young, stupid, morbidly obese women who drop babies without realizing they were pregnant *don't* go on to squash them by mistake in the first few months.
it's happened....a lot.
Old 07-07-06, 12:07 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

If you watch the video at the link, she's not even obese. Maybe slightly overweight, but not some huge girl.

And in a Wal-Mart bathroom? Those are some of the filthiest places out there.
Old 07-07-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's look at the good thing, at least she didn't leave the baby in the rest room garbage can and split like nothing happened.
Old 07-07-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw the video and I didn't think she looked morbidly obese at all.
Old 07-07-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just can't stop staring at this guy:
Old 07-07-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
TO be fair, I would be this happens at wal-mart a lot.

STOP SPEAKING IN TONGUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Nazgul
Bob Burnham: "They were in a stall, kind of cramped, so I got some shoelaces from the store to tie the cord off. I went to get the towels first and then the shoelaces."

And six pound, one ounce baby Kali was okay. She left the store wrapped up in, what else, a Wal-Mart Beach towel.
I wonder if they enforced the "no merchandise permitted beyond this point" sign and made them pay for the items first....
Old 07-07-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Once the childbirth was complete, a SSN was immediately issued and the child was taken to the backroom to watch a Wal-Mart training video and then put to work.
Old 07-07-06, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
Once the childbirth was complete, a SSN was immediately issued and the child was taken to the backroom to watch a Wal-Mart training video and then put to work.
Old 07-07-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When are the local OB/GYNs going to start picketing Wal-Mart and accusing them of trying to push solo practitioners out of business?
Old 07-07-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

here's her picture:

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.