Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Why isn't Progressive allowed to show Geico quotes?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-06-06, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This has been tearing me apart inside. I've always wondered why Progressive insurance is allowed to show some of the competitions' rates, but not allowed to show certain others? I assume they can figure out about how much Geico would charge....then why don't/can't they? Thanks.

Old 07-06-06, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

it's that damn Gecko's fault
Old 07-06-06, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can only get geiko quotes at geiko, mate. Makes you feel all kippers and blood pudding inside, or something.
Old 07-06-06, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Free pie and chips!
Old 07-06-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
lawsuit threat?
Old 07-06-06, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Free pie and chips!

Who wouldn't like that ?
Old 07-07-06, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What's that Will Ferrel pic from?
Old 07-07-06, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Drowning Mona, I believe.
Old 07-07-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

yes, it's Drowning Mona.

I'm surprised no one knows the answer to this. I assume that a programmer for Progressive could write a program that could get Geico's quotes. But the reason for not doing so is probably due to some legal matter. Why wouldn't State Farm or Nationwide (or whomever is included on Progressive's website) also want their rates to be private? Maybe Progressive paid them to use their quotes? I would imagine it would throw some business their way since Progressive advertises that sometimes they aren't always the lowest.
Old 07-07-06, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk God

is it that they arent allowed, or that they just dont

maybe their formula showed that the % of time that geico was cheaper was not favorable to progressive.. hence they just remove them all together.
Old 07-07-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

While I don't know for certain, but twikoff maybe on to something.

The big boys in insurance mostly use insurance agents to sell their products and most of these are on a commission. So their rates are generally 10%-15% higher then companies that don't use agents.

Progressive, Geico, etc do not use agents. They use staff (usually salary) "representatives" and the net to do the majority of their sales. As such they would likely be more in line with each other.

So which is better, having an agent or not? Your call. Agents can bring knowledge, listen, help you, etc. The other companies offer services on the net and are cheaper.

BTW, In the past 12-18 months many an insurance company has changed the way they rate people for auto insurance. It is a good time to shop around. You maybe able to get a better deal. Or maybe not. Don't forget the benefits of longevity with a company, but still good to look around. When you shop around be sure and compare apples to apples.
Old 07-07-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's just insurance. What the hell you need an agent for?
Old 07-07-06, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
It's just insurance. What the hell you need an agent for?
to tell you what you need?
and try to sell you on home, auto, life, flood, locust, etc.. insurance while they are at it...
Old 07-07-06, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
It's just insurance.
Yup, just insurance. No big deal. Until you need it of course.

Just ask the people in Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, if insurance makes a difference.
Old 07-07-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
yes, it's Drowning Mona.

I'm surprised no one knows the answer to this. I assume that a programmer for Progressive could write a program that could get Geico's quotes. But the reason for not doing so is probably due to some legal matter. Why wouldn't State Farm or Nationwide (or whomever is included on Progressive's website) also want their rates to be private? Maybe Progressive paid them to use their quotes? I would imagine it would throw some business their way since Progressive advertises that sometimes they aren't always the lowest.
You can often get much of the same information from the Department of insurance in your state. Here in Texas they have some "basic" rates on their web site. Since most states reguire rate approve, it is public information AFAIK
Old 07-07-06, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by twikoff
is it that they arent allowed, or that they just dont

maybe their formula showed that the % of time that geico was cheaper was not favorable to progressive.. hence they just remove them all together.
I thought the same thing. When I bought a car and needed full coverage I had Progressive for a year since they were the cheapest. Progressive doesn't rerate a current customer, but Geico has dropped my policy a bit every year. I'm sure tickets are a factor, it's been over 5 years since my last one.

I'm loving my free pie and chips.

Old 07-07-06, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have heard (from my bro-in-law) who works in auto repair, that the cut rate insurances (Geico, Progressive, etc.) insist on non-oem parts to save money.

Usually these other parts are thinner and not as good as the factory.

But if you are looking for the cheapest route, this may be the way to go.
Old 07-08-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jon-w9
I have heard (from my bro-in-law) who works in auto repair, that the cut rate insurances (Geico, Progressive, etc.) insist on non-oem parts to save money.

Usually these other parts are thinner and not as good as the factory.

But if you are looking for the cheapest route, this may be the way to go.
Not working for either company, I can almost always assure you this is NOT true.

Think of it this way: Why would an insurance company pay to have your car repaired with "bad" parts AND then keep on with the insurance? If the parts are "bad" wouldn't there be even more damage in another accident. There is testing done on these parts (I forget the name). In addition, most insurance companies warranty the repairs if done at one of their "authorized" shops. Finally remember any money saved is YOUR money saved in premiums.

In the largest case of it's time when an insurance company got sued for using non-OEM parts, not a single case was shown in which these parts were of less quality, not a single case was shown in which a car suffered additional damage in later accidents, not a single case was shown in which the car was worth less money after the use of non-OEM parts. This case was eventually thrown out by the US Supreme Court.

Also, Geico and Progressive are not "cut rate" companies. They are major players in the business. These are fine, large, stable competitive companies. You can find some local companies that would really be cut rate if you wanted.
Old 07-08-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ShallowHal
..., but Geico has dropped my policy a bit every year.
I renew every 6 months and my Geico drops a bit every time.
Old 07-08-06, 11:11 AM
dv8

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
While I don't know for certain, but twikoff maybe on to something.

The big boys in insurance mostly use insurance agents to sell their products and most of these are on a commission. So their rates are generally 10%-15% higher then companies that don't use agents.

Progressive, Geico, etc do not use agents. They use staff (usually salary) "representatives" and the net to do the majority of their sales. As such they would likely be more in line with each other.

So which is better, having an agent or not? Your call. Agents can bring knowledge, listen, help you, etc. The other companies offer services on the net and are cheaper.

BTW, In the past 12-18 months many an insurance company has changed the way they rate people for auto insurance. It is a good time to shop around. You maybe able to get a better deal. Or maybe not. Don't forget the benefits of longevity with a company, but still good to look around. When you shop around be sure and compare apples to apples.

Well I have progressive and have a local agent.
Old 07-08-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dv8
Well I have progressive and have a local agent.
Progressive uses some independent agents (meaning they can sell insurance from a variety of companies). But they also sell their products by phone and on the web.The bigger boys mentioned use exclusive agents and this is the only way to buy their product. This different relationship between company and agent means different pay structures, etc.

Again, I'm not saying one is better. These companies use different business models and should all be looked at carefully for your particular needs. There has only been one proven way to keep prices on insurance down and that is through competition. So the more options, the better!