Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

parking ticket in a rental car?

Old 07-06-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

parking ticket in a rental car?

anyone have any insight on this.. besides "just pay the ticket, cheapass"

i got a ticket in a rental car i was using over the weekend in a different state. What are the chances of the ticket getting back to me?
Yes, i realize that the city may contact the rental company and the rental company has all my info. But will they actually go through all the trouble and can the rental company force me to pay the ticket?

It just pisses me off because the time expired 5 min before i got back and i already had a ticket... like those meter made bastards just wait for the little red flag to pop up and give you a ticket that second.
Old 07-06-06, 07:14 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

It will get back to you, I got one in Italy. and it ended up on my credit car about 6 weeks later.
Old 07-06-06, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The rental company can't force you to pay it, but whatever authority issued the ticket sure can.
Old 07-06-06, 07:54 PM

happened to me. i was in los angeles and im from nj. a few months later they caught up to me. they got my name from the rental company. i paid the ticket. i did not pay it before cuz there was no web address to pay it on the ticket. i wasnt gonna go look for my checkbook to pay for something. i havent wrote a check in 2 years.
Old 07-06-06, 08:08 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Duran
The rental company can't force you to pay it, but whatever authority issued the ticket sure can.
Nope but the car is registered in there name, and they're very happy to let the authorities know who had the car rented during that time.
Old 07-06-06, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Duran
actually i think the rental company can force you to pay it. in your rental agreement which is a legal contract, you agree to pay all tickets issued during your rental period. i've seen some of these rental agreements that allow the car rental company to charge you an additional penalty if a ticket comes to them since they then have to track you down and deal with it.
Old 07-06-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Oraphus

It just pisses me off because the time expired 5 min before i got back and i already had a ticket... like those meter made bastards just wait for the little red flag to pop up and give you a ticket that second.
I'm not sure 5 min is just waiting for it.
Old 07-06-06, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

anyone have any insight on this.. besides "just pay the ticket, cheapass"

i got a ticket in a rental car i was using over the weekend in a different state. What are the chances of the ticket getting back to me?
Yes, i realize that the city may contact the rental company and the rental company has all my info. But will they actually go through all the trouble and can the rental company force me to pay the ticket?

No offense, but how long after it expires would it be acceptable to give a ticket? 30 minutes? Then what happens when the guy who gets ticketed after 31 minutes says "Aww shit it was just 1 minute past the 30 minute grace period."

You get the gist.

I know it seems extra annoying when you know you were very close to not getting it, but the meter's doing its job on a likely busy street for parking.

And I don't mean to pick on you specifically. It's just that I hear stuff like this all the time like, oh shit I was just a day outside the return policy, etc. Things have a finite limit for a reason.

To quote Constanza, "without rules, there's chaos!"

Seriously, definitely pay it. I'm quite sure your rental car company has a clause in the rental agreement stating you're responsible for any infringements. And since it's a parking ticket and not a traffic ticket, I'm guessing it's not for much more than $50 if that. Even if it was up to $100, is $100 worth the possible black mark on your credit and possible legal action?
Old 07-06-06, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got one in Wisconsin. Blew off the $10 parking ticket, ended up charging my credit card $30 via Hertz.
Old 07-06-06, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They will get you. Even if they don't, it's a parking ticket, you should pay it. You could walk out of a restaurant in another state without paying the check and they would never track you down, but that doesn't mean it is okay. Yeah, parking tickets are the dog's balls, but save yourself the headache and pay it.
Old 07-07-06, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Was notified by Avis that I recieved a ticket while in Germany... Avis charged me like $12 for having to give my information to the German Police. Said I would recieve a ticket in the mail, but I never did....
Old 07-07-06, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i think the rental company pays the ticket and they just charge your credit card to get the money back
Old 07-07-06, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We have a section covering for our rental agreements, basically it says that any citation you receive while renting our vehicle we will charge you for. Plus this fee and that fee. You are better off just paying the ticket.
Old 07-07-06, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I got one in LA about 10 years ago and blew it off as I was pissed that I was about 20 feet from the car (knowing it was about to expire or had one minute earlier) and the ticket writer jumped out of their car and I yelled I was moving the car. They said too late and started writing the ticket. Asshole.

So I ignored it and the rental car company sent me a bill that my credit card had been charged double for a convenience fee.
Old 07-07-06, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you really think the rental company will just happily eat the cost of the ticket?
Old 07-08-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i already paid it, meter maids still suck though
Old 07-08-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i already paid it, meter maids still suck though

If they did it well the cost of the ticket would be worth it.