Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Art Subscription Question for Gil Jaewtz (sp) and all those other artisty types

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-06-06, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I recently decided I might start collecting rock/concert posters after I picked up a few at a Pearl Jam show. (I know there is a thread in Music discussing them). Anyway, I've been looking through some artists and found one I like. He offers a subscription for $300 a year which includes all his posters, prints, toys, t-shirts, etc that he creates in 1 year.

What's the deal with an art subscription? He gets $300 guaranteed to produce his art and I get guaranteed pieces, some limited edition and the hope he makes it big?

Is that essientally it?
Old 07-06-06, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes. You're paying to get stuff on a monthly/quarterly basis. I would only be concerned if there's no minimum of material/work that you get. You don't want to pay $300 for four posters and a keychain.

Incidentally, you probably don't want to buy his stuff for collector's value. Art has historically outpaced stock market indices (IIRC) but that is one-of-a-kind art, not limited editions, even if they are lithography/serigraphy/serilith/gliceť.
Old 07-06-06, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus
Yes. Incidentally, you probably don't want to buy his stuff for collector's value. Art has historically outpaced stock market indices (IIRC) but that is one-of-a-kind art, not limited editions, even if they are lithography/serigraphy/serilith/gliceť.

Is there any contract or guarantee that he doesn't just poop on a piece of a paper 1x a year, say this is art, and I'm done?

So Limited Editions are more valuable than 1 of a kind?
Old 07-06-06, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
Is there any contract or guarantee that he doesn't just poop on a piece of a paper 1x a year, say this is art, and I'm done?

That depends on the artist. If he poops on paper, he will probably lose most of his subcribers, so he has incentive to keep doing cool work. Of course, if he gets much more well-known, then his fans could demand the same type of work over and over again and you end up with a subscription to the Thomas Kinkade of Rock Posters.

And no, limited editions are not valuable. They generally don't increase in value; or, if they do, at a rate much lower than the artist's original works.
Old 07-06-06, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That depends on the artist. If he poops on paper, he will probably lose most of his subcribers, so he has incentive to keep doing cool work. Of course, if he gets much more well-known, then his fans could demand the same type of work over and over again and you end up with a subscription to the Thomas Kinkade of Rock Posters.

And no, limited editions are not valuable. They generally don't increase in value; or, if they do, at a rate much lower than the artist's original works.

i think that makes sense.. i believe he is doing a 1 of a kind piece for each subscriber as well... Is $300 a fair amount?
Old 07-06-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Art is subjective. It might not be worth $30 to some people. It might be worth $3000 to others. If it's worth it to you, then do it. The price of art has no ceiling, and sometimes, no floor, so you really have to think about it on your terms and decide if that's something you like.

Do you have a link to the artist's site?
Old 07-06-06, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Art is subjective. It might not be worth $30 to some people. It might be worth $3000 to others. If it's worth it to you, then do it. The price of art has no ceiling, and sometimes, no floor, so you really have to think about it on your terms and decide if that's something you like.

Do you have a link to the artist's site?

Here are some of his works:

http://www.gigposters.com/designers.php?designer=17410

Here is subscription info:

http://www.gigposters.com/classified...hp?siteid=2828
Old 07-06-06, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you like it and it means something to you then get it. Don't buy it as an investment, because it will never be worth crap.
Old 07-06-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you want to collect concert posters as an investment, the ones to get are the ones no one else is getting or saving. In the long run, it is not how many were printed, but how many survived.

The posters that are worth hundreds now were originally free. Since they weren't "worth anything", people stuck them up on their walls with push pins or tape, and got them all dirty with beer and pot smoke. So, a clean, intact poster is now very rare.

Subscription art would not be rare. Buy it if you like it, but don't expect it to keep you warm in your old age.

Very few things from the late 20th and early 21st century are going to be collectible in the future, because everyone is keeping everything in its original box, in an archival vault. *sigh*

I'm thinking I should be collecting disposable lighters or something.
Old 07-06-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
Art has historically outpaced stock market indices (IIRC) but that is one-of-a-kind art, not limited editions, even if they are lithography/serigraphy/serilith/gliceť.
Ah, the pitfalls of reading comprehension deficiency...
Old 07-06-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by drmoze
Ah, the pitfalls of reading comprehension deficiency...

My English major has failed me again