Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Two suggestions for anyone visiting NYC this summer

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-05-06, 10:41 PM
Mod Emeritus

1) The double decker circular bus is a total ripoff. The wait for it is a LONG TIME. Most of the places you want to go to are close, the ones that are it's much cheaper to take a cab, and the bus stinks, and there's a chance you won't even get to go on the top. Plus it's way overpriced. Don't bother.

2) The Empire State Building. It takes 2 hours to get to the top. And the wait SUCKS. It really does. Strongly consider that ripoff express package they have. Also, the VERY top level is like $14 but the view is almost exactly the same, and it's not outside like the 2nd-top-level.

That's all.
Old 07-05-06, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why isn't this in Hot Deals?

Old 07-05-06, 11:33 PM
Mod Emeritus

Tag you're it!

PADDING. Yeah, it got out of hand back in the day with people posting a string of one word replies and post counts mattered. But do they really matter now? Does anyone care? And what is the harm? It is not bandwidth. Hell, Geoff is helped by his site stats as far as advertising. As long as the padding does not get in the way of increased fun and a sense of community, I just don't get it. -RandyC
Old 07-05-06, 11:33 PM
Mod Emeritus

*yawn* Anyone watching channel 11? Good stuff.
Old 07-05-06, 11:34 PM
Mod Emeritus

*sigh* I better get to sleep. Goodnight all.
Old 07-05-06, 11:37 PM

Damn. It was $9 six years ago, and the ~1 hour wait was worth it to me, but of course that was within the year before you-know-what happened. So, I had a different view when looking south.
Old 07-05-06, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

GP-this forum frowns on starting threads while under the influence of alcohol or other substances. Please look within.
Old 07-05-06, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I took my girlfriend up there on our first "date." It was nice at night, there wasn't too long of a wait, but it was cool to see the lights from times square. I want to check out the rockefellar building, they have an observation deck/floor now.
Old 07-06-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Take a kid with a baby stroller to the Empire State Building and you will go up with no waiting...And the best advice for those wanting to visit NYC for the summer is to just not do it. Go to Disney or the beach instead. Its way too pricey and there is really nothing to do here.
Old 07-06-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Take a kid with a baby stroller to the Empire State Building and you will go up with no waiting...And the best advice for those wanting to visit NYC for the summer is to just not do it. Go to Disney or the beach instead. Its way too pricey and there is really nothing to do here.
Nothing to do in New York?!... I mean, yes, yes- tourists, stay away! This city is terribly boring.
Old 07-06-06, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My wife just returned from NY, where she took the double-decker bus and enjoyed it. As did all 17 other members of her family visiting with her.

YMMV.

She didn't like the heat in the city, though. And we're from down South, so we know a thing or two about heat and humidity.
Old 07-06-06, 12:50 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Actually, if you want to visit NY, the BEST time is in the summer. All the NYC resident clowns are out in the Hamptons and the Jersey shore.

I'll be up there in a couple of weeks. Already have my Yankee tickets purchased.
Old 07-06-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

go up to the empire state building in january when it's 20 degrees and windy outside and it's a different experience.

as far as the bus, rip off. Get on citysearch or some other website, look up where you want to go and do it yourself.
Old 07-06-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Nothing to do in New York?!... I mean, yes, yes- tourists, stay away! This city is terribly boring.
Too late. The annual touron invasion is in full swing.

My favorite sight, which I see every morning, is right in Grand Central. At the east end of the main hall there are some stone stairs leading up to a balcony restaurant. And immediately in front of the stairs (one foot away) is a large sign which says (on the side facing the stairs!): "Sitting on the Stairs is Prohibited" followed by identification of some city ordinance code, and a fairly large police badge picture.

Of course, every day when I pass by there is at least one or 2 people sitting on the stairs, with the large sign just a few feet from their vacuous eyes. Sometimes, if I'm in a good mood, I'll tap on the sign to make a noise and make an appropriately derisive comment to the roosting tourons.
Old 07-06-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

that's new yorkers sitting on the stairs since we never follow the directions
Old 07-06-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was way, way, way too long a wait, but I thought going up in the Statue of Liberty was worth doing once. It was neat seeing it from the inside.

When I was there with my mom, I didn't have the time though, so we just took the Staten Island Ferry and got a pretty good view of it (I think it cost like a quarter).

Empire State Building I got part way up (you had to wait in line to continue up) then found myself towards the front of the line to go down and just bailed.

As far as transport, I like walking (since you see more) and subways if I'm going pretty far. Make sure to go through Grand Central Station at some point, it's really pretty cool.
Old 07-06-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The SI Ferry is free now. Tourists should avoid it, because it's not really a touristy thing to do. It's filled with weary and stressed commuters who hate nothing more than tourists getting in their way as they run for their train or bus. The ferry can also be pretty disgusting.
Old 07-06-06, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My two tips for people visiting NYC this summer:

1. Don't go.
2. Stay home.
Old 07-06-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seems to me like the most important tip is to steer clear of anyone on the subway carrying stuffed animals:

Subway Rider Sliced in Power Saw Attack

A man grabbed two cordless power saws off a subway station workbench and went on a rampage Thursday, swinging the saws at riders and slicing open a man's chest before running away, police said.

The 64-year-old victim, whose name was not released, was hospitalized in critical but stable condition. Police were searching for the suspect, described by witnesses as a thin man in his 30s, who had earrings in both ears and was possibly carrying a teddy bear.

The attack occurred before dawn at a subway station a few blocks south of Columbia University.

Wielding a saw in each hand, the man took a swipe at one rider on a platform and missed, police said. Moments later, he cut into the man's chest at a turnstile before bolting out of the station, still carrying the power tools, which were later found in a trash can.

Police were reviewing security camera videotape.

The attack came two weeks after a Boston man was charged with stabbing four people _ three of them tourists _ over a 13-hour period in the subway and the theater district in Manhattan.
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/07/06/D8IMK8H00.html
Old 07-06-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got back from NYC... yeah, I'd probably reccommend a fall or a spring visit. Don't go up to the city in July -- it's just too damn hot.

We rode the Shark for a wet and wild trip out to view Lady Liberty. That was extremely cool. Chinatown and Little Italy are pretty awesome -- the food is great, and the atmosphere is exceptional. Go down to the subway stop at WTC -- absolutely breathtaking. And Times Square is always excellent.

But don't go in the summer. And don't bother with the July 4th fireworks. They're stunning, but unless you're on a boat cruise, they're just too damn far away. It's like watching a pretty screensaver, except with more traffic. And body odors.
Old 07-06-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by drmoze

I am so stealing this term.

-p
Old 07-06-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My favorite sight, which I see every morning, is right in Grand Central.
I altered my route to avoid the main concourse. Much less stress.
Old 07-06-06, 01:35 PM
Admin-Thanos

There is no offseason for tourists in NY. I used to work on 5th Ave and it was all people looking up at the big buildings with maps in their hands and looking to go into the expensive shops. That was year round.
Old 07-06-06, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, but the summer brings entire clans of the unwanted creatures, including their young. It is definitely more of a busy season in the summer. Although the local women do dress nicer this time of year. (nicer=skimpier)
Old 07-06-06, 04:01 PM
Mod Emeritus

Yeah, but the summer brings entire clans of the unwanted creatures, including their young. It is definitely more of a busy season in the summer. Although the local women do dress nicer this time of year. (nicer=skimpier)
Some very nicely dressed touron women too.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.