Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What Are Your Favorite Quotes?

Old 07-05-06, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What Are Your Favorite Quotes?

About 8 years ago I had a word document of 30+ pages of my favor quotes....everything from well-known quotes to obscure poetry to excerpts from random lesser known speeches. I ended up losing the document and hard copies. Eventually I'll get back to making one again, but for the interim, i'd love to hear what all of your favorite quotes are. I'm hoping to broaden my horizons, so I'm not looking for a listing of the really famous quotes. I've found there are lines spoken/written in history that encapsulate a feeling/thought as well as can be done, so instead of trying to re-invent the wheel, I pay homage to the author/originator.

I'll start it off I guess:

"He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened." -Lao Tzu

-p

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 07-05-06 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-05-06, 10:26 PM
Mod Emeritus

Literary, cinema or free-for-all?
Old 07-05-06, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Literary, cinema or free-for-all?
I'd prefer literary, speeches/spoken word, etc. I figure if people want a movie/tv one, it'd be more appropriate in another forum.

-p
Old 07-05-06, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When you finally repiece your document together, it be like deja vu all over again.

Not an original quote, but I will let someone else name the source.
Old 07-05-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by naughty jonny
When you finally repiece your document together, it be like deja vu all over again.

Not an original quote, but I will let someone else name the source.
That is mr. yankee...yogi berra.

-p
Old 07-05-06, 10:36 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

"It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous." Robert Benchley

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self." Cyril Connolly

"Have something to say and say it as clearly as you can. That is the only secret of style." Matthew Arnold
Old 07-05-06, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A friend recently sent me a list of beer related quotes. I'll post a few of those.

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
-Humphrey Bogart

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."
-Abraham Lincoln

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Frank Sinatra

"Work is the curse of the drinking class."
-Oscar Wilde
Old 07-05-06, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One of my favorite quotes of all time:

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

--John Lennon, from Beautiful Boy
Old 07-05-06, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good quote. I've referenced that before.

(The A. Clarke quote...this stupid thing posted above again)

-p
Old 07-05-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"It is vital to remember that information - in the sense of raw data - is not knowledge; that knowledge is not wisdom; and that wisdom is not foresight. But information is the first essential step to all of these." -Arthur C. Clarke

I used that one when I used to manage a data entry department.
Old 07-06-06, 01:02 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Vino veritas est. (Julius Caesar?)
Old 07-06-06, 01:06 AM

"When I finally met Mr. Right, I didn't know his first name was Always!"--Rita Rudner, Comedian
Old 07-06-06, 05:39 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
"Only he who already understands can listen." -Martin Heidegger
Old 07-06-06, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"If you're an optimist, she's half naked. If you're a pessimist, she's half clothed." - I made that one up.
Old 07-06-06, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a good handful of pages at home of collected quotes from years ago. My most favorite has always been (and used to be my signature):

"There are too many people, and too few human beings."
-Robert Zend
Old 07-06-06, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The one in my signature. I also don't know whose it is, but I like:

It takes a minute to meet someone, an hour to like someone, a day to love them, but a lifetime to forget them.

or something like that.
Old 07-06-06, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A long one, but I love it..

There is no testing which decision is better, because there is no basis for comparison. We live everything as it comes, without warning, like an actor going on cold. And what can life be worth if the first rehearsal for life is life itself? That is why life is always like a sketch. No, "sketch" is not quite the right word, because a sketch is the outline for something, the ground-work for a picture, whereas the sketch that is our life is a sketch for nothing, an outline with no picture.

Einmal ist keinmal, says Tomas to himself. What happens but once, says the German adage, might as well have not happened at all. If we only have one life to live, we might as well not have lived at all.

-Milan Kundera's "The Unbearable Lightness of Being"
Old 07-06-06, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anything by Dorothy Parker, but especially:

If you want to know what God thinks about money, look at the people He gave it to.
Old 07-06-06, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I like Dorothy Parker's quotes, and Oscar Wilde is pretty damn funny too.

My favorite (which I used as my senior yearbook quote) read:

"If you fail, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it." - W.C. Fields
Old 07-06-06, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

- Theodore Roosevelt
Old 07-06-06, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin - real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life."

-Alfred D. Souza
Old 07-06-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's one from RandyC that makes profound sense:

PADDING. Yeah, it got out of hand back in the day with people posting a string of one word replies and post counts mattered. But do they really matter now? Does anyone care? And what is the harm? It is not bandwidth. Hell, Geoff is helped by his site stats as far as advertising. As long as the padding does not get in the way of increased fun and a sense of community, I just don't get it.-RandyC
Old 07-06-06, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"Regrets? I've got no regrets... except that I was born a woman instead of a man."

-Nico
Old 07-06-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No Willie yet?

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Always loved that one...
Old 07-06-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Too many.

"I would write on the lintels of the doorpost, Whim. I hope it is somewhat better than whim at last, but we cannot spend the day in explanation."

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do."

"Is it so bad then to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood."

"On my saying, What have I to do with the sacredness of traditions, if I live wholly from within? my friend suggested,—“But these impulses may be from below, not from above.” I replied, “They do not seem to me to be such; but if I am the devil’s child, I will live then from the devil.” No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution; the only wrong what is against it."

All RW Emerson. I could go on and on. Those are all from a single essay, as well.

Another good one --

"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity." -- HD Thoreau

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.