Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What Beers for my Home Bar???

Old 07-05-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What Beers for my Home Bar???

I know we have had several "what is your favorite beer" thread, but I have a different spin.

I'm about done with my home bar. I'm at least to the point of using it while I finish some details and I'm wondering what beers you would recommend to "stock". Based on how many bottles & pint cans my bar frig will hold I was thinking about five different types. Now my personal favorite and what will be my "house" beer is Fat Tire Amber Ale, so I need four other recommendations.

Even tho I prefer ambers, dark and full flavored beer I don't want all that as a lot of people won't like any of them. So I'm not necessarily looking for a beers for me to drink or your favorite, but also what you have on hand when friends come over who you don't know what they will be drinking, tho it would be nice if I liked them a little ..make sense??

To start I have,

Fat Tire Amber Ale
Shiner Hefeweizen
Michelob Ultra
Guinness (pint cans)
Pete's Wicked Ale

But I'd like other suggestions. Especially with regards to the clear beer, the Hefeweizen (I like the Shiner, but there are probably better ones out there) and I could throw out the Pete's (again I like Pete's, but I have a feeling most who don't like Fat Tire wouldn't like Pete's either).
Old 07-05-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fat Tire is great, Pete's is crap. I would probably add a Rogue Brewery beer, maybe the shakesperean or the murimoto.

I'd keep Guinness, add newcastle (people seem to like it a lot) and then one domestic.
Old 07-05-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yuengling
Saranac Black & Tan

That is all.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 07-05-06, 04:35 PM

Boulevard Pale Ale
Old 07-05-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My staple 'good' beer is most things by 'DogFish'. Aprihop for something light. A 60 or 90 IPA for something a bit more. Rogue is another favorite. Dead Guy Ale or Saint Rogue Red. I forget the others i've had, but i havent' had a bad beer from them yet.

-p

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 07-05-06 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-05-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 07-05-06, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First off, any beer in your bar should be drunk! Make sure the beer doesn't sit there for months and months and months (a few is ok).

If you want to impress, Black Butte Porter would do really well as a dark beer. For the hefeweizen, pyramid makes a nice one, but how about a european one, like Hoegarden (sp?). As for the Pete's, yeah, get rid of it. What you need to round things out is a hoppy beer, an IPA maybe (India Pale Ale), or just a good pale ale. There are so many it's hard to say which one to buy.
Old 07-05-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk God

I know you don't live in AZ anymore (IIRC), but did you ever have any of Four Peaks Kiltlifter? That stuff is awesome. Very good microbrew for a home bar.
Old 07-05-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hoegarrden is a great recommendation.

-p
Old 07-05-06, 05:15 PM

Pete's is indeed crap. There are dozens of American brewe ales which are far superior.

Go with at least a Doppelbock, a Pale Ale/IPA, a Stout, a continental style pilsner, a flavored/Abbey Belgian ale, and top it off with an ESB and/or a Porter. Then branch out, with possibly a Brown Ale, and some other varieties.
Old 07-05-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Magic Hat #9 and Blue Moon would both be good to include.
Old 07-05-06, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by noonan4224
Magic Hat #9 and Blue Moon would both be good to include.
Blue Moon is to Belgian style ales what Pete's is to brown ales - a pale imitation of the genuine article.
Old 07-05-06, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm a fan of Magic Hat #9...but I'd suggest stretching your palet to lesser known beers.

-p
Old 07-05-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

pretty sure Magic Hat's distribution does not extend to Texas.
Old 07-05-06, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by deadlax
pretty sure Magic Hat's distribution does not extend to Texas.
Really?

I thought it was more widely available than that.

-p
Old 07-05-06, 05:26 PM

Bass.
Old 07-05-06, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-05-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Awesome recommendations!

Yes, I want beer to drink. That is why I want a variety to cover whoever comes over, but also good stuff, so I'll drink it to. Believe it or not the hardest part for me is the basic, clear beer. It has been so long since I drank any of it and now that I'm use to the fuller flavor, I just don't like it. My wife recommended the Mich Ultra only because her best friends hubby drinks it.

I hadn't thought about an IPA...that would be a good choice.

My bar has a sort of of Irish/English/Scottish theme, so that is why I was thinking Guinness. Plus the way my frig is the bottom will can hold about 18 cans (even the pint cans) but not bottles. So I thought those "draft" cans from Guinness would be good. But I'm open for any Irish/English beer. Heck I could have two different ones for that matter.
Old 07-05-06, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dude...get a new fridge....just for beer.

-p
Old 07-05-06, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by pedagogue
No doubt. I have two dedicated beer fridges.
Old 07-05-06, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
So I thought those "draft" cans from Guinness would be good. But I'm open for any Irish/English beer. Heck I could have two different ones for that matter.
For those "pub draft" cans with the little nitrogen(or whatever it is) dispenser, I like Old Speckled Hen, and Boddingtons. I don't think they're exceptionally unique beers, but they're good and they are improved by the texture those "pub draft" cans give them.

I think the ol' standard Sam Adams Summer Ale is quite a nice brew, and if you like fruit beers, Long Trail (Vermont) Blackberry Wheat is pretty tasty.

And if you're going for an English/Irish theme, branch out with some Magner's Irish Cider. I don't know if I've ever had it bottled, but on tap, that stuff is just
Old 07-05-06, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pedagogue

-p
I think my man hood has just been insulted

In the bar I have a new beverage cooler that is for nothing but beer. It says it holds about 125 cans. But for the most part I prefer bottles (even though I have a large collection of pint glasses and always poor in a pint glass). It seems the best arrangement is moving the shelves around so two full wire shelves will hold 25 bottled beers each. The bottom is not tall enough for bottles and only half deep, so it will hold 18 pint cans.

In fact, here is a pic of the one I got. This will be for beer and ONLY beer.

I also have a regular old 22 cf or so refrigerator in the garage, which is right next to the bar. In here we were keeping beer/cokes/ice food for parties etc. I will still use it for overflow beer or maybe those "odd" flavor beers I won't use daily. Of course my wife's dreaded wine coolers go out here as well.

Lastly I have a full size refrigerator in with ice maker, etc in the kitchen which is also next to the bar (one one side of the bar is the kitchen the other side is the garage and media room). While we don't normally keep drinks in here (other then milk, orange juice, etc) but we could use in a pinch.

So I got plenty of beer storage places....
Old 07-05-06, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok....you can have your man card back!

-p
Old 07-05-06, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Chesterfield Ale (from Yeungling) is excellent as is Yeungling's porter. Anchor Steam makes a great porter as well. I'm a big fan of dark beers (Rogue's Shakespeare Stout is my fav.). Also the pub cans of Boddingtons or Old Speckled Hen (as mentioned earlier) is a good call. For your theme, I'd go with a good stout, porter and scottish ale as well as a few standards. Also, chesterfield ale is great for black and tans.
Old 07-05-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
I love 1554 (New Belgium's best regular beer, better than fat tire). Is 1664 just 110 times better?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.