Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you think my hand is broken (cheap medical advice post)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-04-06, 11:20 AM
Banned

All right, I know this is lame to ask on a blog, but I hate waiting the whole day (and a deductible) to find out I sprained it.

Drunken, paranoid and enraged, I punched a wall 4 or five times last weekend. I am nothing if not ashamed, so please: I feel sufficiently stupid without the requisite ďYouíre not a sober woman? Ē type shit.

Hereís the deal. Iíve splinted the ring finger and used ice briefly, but mostly compression and ibuprofen. The swelling has gone down significantly since yesterday. Itís currently uncompressed and unsplinted (Iím typing with it )

The thing is: I canít find the knuckle over the ring finger (even up the metacarpal) and there is some pretty vibrant bruising on the palm (i.e. not the point of impact). I know that there is a lot of medical knowledge flying around this forum, so I thought Iíd chirp a little bit.

Oh yeah. I can move all my fingers pretty normally with pain, but not agony.

Last edited by Kudama; 07-04-06 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-04-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

uhm...get it checked out, you done fucked it up.

-p
Old 07-04-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Uh, yeah, what Peddy said.
Old 07-04-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The crazyronin 2 step process to determine if your hand is broken:

1. Place hand on table, palm side down. Splay your fingers.

2. Identify finger you think is broken. Hit it with a hammer.

This test has a 100% accuracy rate in identifying broken fingers...
Old 07-04-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you, since I broke my hand in a similar way many years ago as a young drunken asshat. Yes, get thee to an orthopedist ASAP. At this point, depending on what damage was done, they may even have to rebreak it.
Old 07-04-06, 12:09 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

So you are stuck in mexico with no passport, and a broken hand, sounds like a great weekend
Old 07-04-06, 12:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by crazyronin
The crazyronin 2 step process to determine if your hand is broken:

1. Place hand on table, palm side down. Splay your fingers.

2. Identify finger you think is broken. Hit it with a hammer.

This test has a 100% accuracy rate in identifying broken fingers...
I'm all out of hammers. Does this work with an axe?

I honestly don't think it's broken and I hate wasting a whole day to find out that I should just RICE it. I asked for advice, though, so I don't want to be all, "I do what I want!" about this.

Any Mad Max advice, just to counterpoint the "err on the side of caution" style advice.

(oop. I'm experiencing "phantom knuckle syndrome".)

Last edited by Kudama; 07-04-06 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-04-06, 12:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
So you are stuck in mexico with no passport, and a broken hand, sounds like a great weekend
I'm afraid of flying and I don't have any anti anxiety prescriptions. Hence...TONS OF BOOZE!

Problem is, I kept partying after I got home. I haven't got that drunk in a looooong time. (And I'm a drunk.)

The weekend was pretty cool. Went to Anime Expo for one day and found two imort posters for the release of the DVD of Ghost in the Shell 2 (clinically obsessed) and saw some awesome costumes and spent Sunday with friends and family. I honestly think it unlocked some id that I wasn't aware of, hence the hand.
Old 07-04-06, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If it makes you feel any better, I hate walls too!
Old 07-04-06, 12:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
If it makes you feel any better, I hate walls too!
mmm. mmm. S'true.
Old 07-04-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GO SEE A DAMN DOCTOR. It's your hand, for god's sake!
Old 07-04-06, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I once asked a doctor if I'd broken a finger. He told me that if I'd broken my finger, I wouldn't have to ask.
Old 07-04-06, 04:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ben12
GO SEE A DAMN DOCTOR. It's your hand, for god's sake!
Last time I spent 8 hours and $150.00 on this, it was ..."Meh. Wrap it in an Ace bandage and put ice on it." (Which is what I'm doing.)

Believe me, I want to draw for a living and it's my "on" hand", but I could still draw fairly well without my pinky (fucked up long ago) and my ring finger. If paralysis is a problem and they get in the way...slice.

Also, ironically, I have not signed up yet with a doctor on my insurance plan. Can you imagine filling out those forms with an injured hand? :boi-oi-oi-oing:

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I once asked a doctor if I'd broken a finger. He told me that if I'd broken my finger, I wouldn't have to ask.
I hate when people post with a question, looking for the answer that they want. I hate myself. Thank you, Nick.

Last edited by Kudama; 07-04-06 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-04-06, 08:17 PM

Just cut it off... no doctor visit needed.
Old 07-04-06, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Kudama
Last time I spent 8 hours and $150.00 on this, it was ..."Meh. Wrap it in an Ace bandage and put ice on it." (Which is what I'm doing.)

Believe me, I want to draw for a living and it's my "on" hand", but I could still draw fairly well without my pinky (fucked up long ago) and my ring finger. If paralysis is a problem and they get in the way...slice.

Also, ironically, I have not signed up yet with a doctor on my insurance plan. Can you imagine filling out those forms with an injured hand? :boi-oi-oi-oing:
Oh, well, if that's what happened last time, it MUST be what will happen THIS time.

GENIUS!

You deserve whatever happens to your hand now.
Old 07-04-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, and #%@& you for calling Otter a "blog".
Old 07-04-06, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are people who get paid to answer questions like this.
Old 07-05-06, 11:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
Oh, and #%@& you for calling Otter a "blog".
sorry

Well, I didn't want take your advice because (like a child) it wasn't what I wanted to hear. After 9 hours (at least I had some good books with me this time) I'm glad I decided to heed your sage wisdom.

It is broken.

I have to go back in 8 days and go through the debacle again, because they can't put a proper cast on until they're positive the swelling will not increase. My boss will not be happy.

Bonus segment: I am officially HIV negative. They have a test I was unaware of that's an oral swab and you get the results in 20-30 minutes It's 99.9% accurate but doesn't cover the most recent 3 months. I haven't used needles (EVER! ) and haven't gotten lucky in longer. ( )

Also I got a dreaded tetanus shot. As the needle closed in they actually had to hold me down. I accepted it but my shaking might break the needle. It's up there with my fear of flying and I know it's irrational, but my brain and body just won't listen to me. I'm a good patient until the needle invades my personal space.

Oh Yeah. It took 20 minutes to type this. My boss is gonna be pissed!
Old 07-05-06, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm a good patient until the needle invades my personal space.
It sorta needs to 'invade your space' to get your blood....but besides that, you'd be golden!!!

-p
Old 07-06-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry about your hand - get well soon.

But I just have to say my 5 year old is tougher than you are, when it comes to getting shots!

Old 07-06-06, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also I got a dreaded tetanus shot.
Just had one of those on Monday and the needle was a piece of cake. It's the constant "punched in the arm" feeling that's been annoying ever since.
Old 07-06-06, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad you got that looked after. Heal up!
Old 07-06-06, 08:59 AM
Admin-Thanos

DVDTalk, offering medical advice since 1999.

Dude, do you know now if it's broken? No. How will you know 100%? Get an X-Ray. Here ends my medical advice.

-edit I've now read more and see that you did that. Congrats. Sad for you on the broken part though.
Old 07-06-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

where is sockmonkey, he broke both his hands like that. (at the same time).
Old 07-08-06, 07:27 AM
Banned

Minor side note- When I got the X-Ray, I didnít realize I was wearing a Hellboy shirt. After I got my big ass splint with ace bandage binding. I went home dressed like that and I didnít realize that I had the Right Hand of Doom (effectively in proportion to my skinny ass arm) and no one said anything. Hell! I didnít even realize until Thursday night when I re-wore my shirt for pajamas. Yesterday I wore a different Hellboy shirt to work and the movies and nobody got the joke. Iím a lonely Hellboy fan.

Major side note- I have removed my splint. My hand was in agony and I had the choice between being a compliant patient and removing my hand from the stove. Go figure: The little, teeny scratches Iíve gotten from playing with my cat are infected as Hell (never did wash my hands before getting bound) and the compression from the bandages has produced blisters on the inside of the knuckles of my fingers. I am going to use the same splint, but with a looser binding. I donít want to fuck things up more that the vindictive nurses want me to. The whole purpose of this was the swelling and itís gone (I am actually very happy to report).

And as far as needles go -If you don't actually have a major phobia, feel free to point and laugh. But, if you see death coming, you will know the feeling.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.