Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

So, uh....we killed us a rattlesnake Saturday night.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-03-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk God

The family and many freinds stay at a place called Railroad Island (near the John Day Dam on the Columbia River) the weekend before the 4th of July every year. Around 10 pm we go down to a lookout site and watch fireworks. As we pulled into the spot, we noticed a rattlesnake on the road. Not real uncommon. On hot days they slither out onto the roads at night to soak up some extra warmth. So, one friend of mine gets his snake stick that he keeps in the back of his truck, gets the snake and another guy cuts off the head, and they go and bury the head. You bury the head because the nasty little things will still bite for awhile without a body.

Okay, this isn't just a normal day, but it isn't real unusual. But one of the people had his brother there with us and he was a city slicker. He freaked out. Not because there was a rattlesnake (around a bunch of people including 15 kids), but because they killed it. Everyone just king of looked at him like he had heat stroke.

But it made me wonder what my city slicker otters would think. I never gave a second thought about it. You find rattlesnakes and you kill them. We don't go looking for them, but if you find one, it is best to kill it.
Old 07-03-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was going to post, 'Yay! Dave got to kill something no one will bitch about!', but apparently that was premature. What would the guy have preferred you done? Feed it some hotdog and let the kids play with it?
Old 07-03-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
pics?
Old 07-03-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have killed couple rattlesnakes... no biggie.
Old 07-03-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm from Texas. We do, in fact, "go looking for them".
Old 07-03-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk God

This may be my happiest thread ever. EVAR.
Old 07-03-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
But it made me wonder what my city slicker otters would think. I never gave a second thought about it. You find rattlesnakes and you kill them. We don't go looking for them, but if you find one, it is best to kill it.
If the snakes aren't smart enough to slither away from men with snake sticks, they are not smart enough to slither away from kids, and that spell trouble.
Old 07-03-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Too bad he took so long to show up. If he'd been here sooner, he coulda taken care of that rooster for ya.
Old 07-03-06, 12:26 PM

Hmm, back in Texas I watched as my father used a shovel to chop off the heads of rattlesnakes that decided to enter our backyard. Once had a sidewinder go in front of my bike and down a storm drain not long after hearing a story of a kid nearby getting bitten by one that rode his spokes into snapping range.
Old 07-03-06, 12:27 PM
Banned

what's a snake stick?

why does one randomly go around killing rattlesnakes?

what's a snake?

What's wildlife?

Is that a new club?

Old 07-03-06, 12:28 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Growing up in rural California we killed our share of rattlers. It never bothered me because they would come up to the house and are just dangerous there.

Now, though I would be very sad if there were no more rattlesnakes left. People dont think about it but housing developments keep carving out into the desert over there and someday at this pace, there will be none left. I think they should be allowed to live at least somewhere in the vicinity of where they have always been living for thousands of years.
Old 07-03-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

killing people> killing snakes > killing dogs > killing horses
Old 07-03-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I put them on planes...

Never did get me a rattler, but a few copperheads and some cottonmouths have met their end because of their proximity to me.
Old 07-03-06, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My grandmother used to shoot snakes with a shotgun from her porch whenever they came near her house. Just wanted to share a piece of my heritage with you.
Old 07-03-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It occurs to me that we could save a lot of time by simply making a list of things that Kvrdave won't kill.

Old 07-03-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I love Snakes but I have no problem with killing that rattler. Especially since you guys apparently weren't going to move your "Country Bama" asses so you could find a safer location. And oh yeah...the kids.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-03-06 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-03-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was over a friend's house, and I was waiting for her to finish getting ready, so I grab a beer and hang out in her living room. Out of the corner of my eye I see something move in the fish tank. I start to walk towards the fish tank....and then I notice all of the fish AND water are GONE!!! The only thing left was this big fat snake. Thankfully the snake was stupid enough to cram itself into the fish tank, so I bashed its head in with a rock. When my friend came down, to not alarm her, I told her it was sleeping. She kind of gave me a puzzled look, and we went on our way. I never got a chance to warn her about the bloody rock under the couch cushion, oops!

-p
Old 07-03-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am just disappointed that you country folk didn't eat it.

I have encountered quite a few snakes while on fishing/camping trips. There is always one kvrdave in the crowd that steps up and kills it. They do seem to enjoy it

When us city slickers kill them, we toss em, I figured you country folk would consider that a treat and eat em
Old 07-03-06, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk God

There wasn't enough for everyone, so we didn't want to be rude.
Old 07-03-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went to a reptile shop in oregon not long ago. They had a breeding pair of rattlesnakes. Beautiful creatures.

They don't mess with you if you don't mess with them. Most snake bites are on the hand, if that gives you any idea.
Old 07-03-06, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They like human hands?

I can appreciate snakes, but I try to stay clear of them if at all possible.

-p
Old 07-03-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We have more copperheads around here than rattlers but I'd take a rattle snake anyday. Copperheads will come after you. But yeah. You see it. You kill it.
Old 07-03-06, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In my experience, rattlesnakes are far less aggressive than copperheads or cottonmouths. When I was living in Colorado, I saw lots of western diamondbacks. Invariably, they would either start rattling (which would unmistakably let me know they were there) or, more often, simply move away as quickly as they could. My experiences with cottonmouths have been much scarier: they're extremely aggressive, better camouflaged and silent.
Old 07-03-06, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Hiro11
My experiences with cottonmouths have been much scarier: they're extremely aggressive, better camouflaged and silent.
Well, stop hiding the damn Cheetos.
Old 07-03-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pedagogue
They like human hands?

I can appreciate snakes, but I try to stay clear of them if at all possible.

-p
I should have qualified my statement. Most snake bites are on the hand because people try to mess with the snakes and then get what they deserve when the snake bites them.

I've had a ton of experience with snakes in the wild, and I have yet to have a snake go after me. More often than not, the snake will notice you and slither into the brush to avoid you. If you reach down to grab it, the snake will strike.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.