Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

R.I. Police Kill Shoplifting Suspect

Old 07-03-06, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

By Associated Press
Sun Jul 2, 10:35 PM

NORTH SMITHFIELD, R.I. - Police on Sunday shot and killed a man suspected of shoplifting from a grocery store as he tried to flee in a minivan with his 5-year-old daughter, authorities said.

The officer opened fire after being struck by the suspect's minivan, according to a statement from police Chief Steven Reynolds.

Store security at the Stop & Shop supermarket called police at about 2:15 p.m. to report a shoplifter who had just left the store with another man. The responding officer confronted the suspect in the parking lot.

The suspect, identified as James Wilcox, 34, of Pawtucket, struck the officer as he tried to flee in his vehicle. The officer, whose name was not released, fired one shot that struck Wilcox in the stomach, police said.

Wilcox was pronounced dead on arrival at Rhode Island Hospital. The officer was treated and released.

State child welfare officials were called to the scene to take care of the girl. It was unclear if she was injured and whether the officer knew she was in the vehicle.

The other man, Carl Dinsmore, 45, of Cranston, was apprehended nearby.

Wilcox and Dinsmore both have criminal records with outstanding warrants, police said.

The officer who fired the fatal shot has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation into the shooting. Rhode Island State Police are handling the investigation.

---------------------------

I thought it was time for another excessive force by police thread.

Despite the emotions raised by the somewhat misleading title, I'm not sure I have a problem with this (unless additional evidence surfaces). A vehicle is considered a deadly weapon, correct? So would this shooting be justified as self defense or as a legitimate retalitory action "in the line of duty?"
Old 07-03-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That'll teach him. I bet he never steals again.
Old 07-03-06, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

L.A.P.D. is not nearly as frightening as the R.I.P. Department.

And yes, he was not only "suspected of shoplifting" but hit a police officer with his car. Oh, minor detail that might be missed from the headline.
Old 07-03-06, 09:21 AM
Suspended

His daughter was the brains behind this operation.
Old 07-03-06, 09:23 AM

Completely justified. Don't try to flee the police.
Old 07-03-06, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, if someone hit me with a van, and I had a gun, I would use it!
Old 07-03-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do you think the shooting would still be justified if it turned out the officer knew the guy had a young girl with him?

Last edited by Goldblum; 07-03-06 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-03-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let's see. Guy robs store. Confrots officer, and tries to flee. Guy hits officer with minivan, officer fires back in self defense. Pretty open and shut to me. Don't try and run people over, plain and simple. Especially don't run people over who have guns. I do feel bad for the daughter, but what kind of father is this? The officer should be re-instated IMO.
Old 07-03-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

at least the cops didn't cap the guy's daughter for trying to flee as well
Old 07-03-06, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As I've said before - the cop has one goal in his job, and that's to end the day in at least the same general well-being that he started it in. If you are a threat to that, then your ass is going down.

Doing anything other than what the officer tells you to, whether you agree with him or not, is asking for an ass-kicking. Doing anything that makes the officer feel that his live or the lives of others are in jeopardy is asking to get killed.
Old 07-03-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Story doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't the officer have to be in front of the suspect to shoot him in the stomach? How can you get hit by a car and still have the wherewithall to get in front of the car to shoot him?
Old 07-03-06, 10:19 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
[non sequitur] I have cousins who live in North Smithfield. [/ns]
Old 07-03-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Goldblum
The suspect, identified as James Wilcox, 34, of Pawtucket, struck the officer as he tried to flee in his vehicle. The officer, whose name was not released, fired one shot that struck Wilcox in the stomach, police said.
Case closed. That can very well be considered a deadly weapon (duh), and the officer was in mortal danger. It sucks for his daughter, but I would have done what the cop did.

-p
Old 07-03-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bandoman
[non sequitur]
You and your high-falutin' words!!

-p
Old 07-03-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GMan2819
Story doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't the officer have to be in front of the suspect to shoot him in the stomach? How can you get hit by a car and still have the wherewithall to get in front of the car to shoot him?
I agree, this was a poorly-written article. I'd like to hear clarification on those points.
Old 07-03-06, 12:23 PM
Banned

Why didn't the cop just shoot out the tires?
Old 07-03-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Why didn't the cop just shoot out the tires?
I hope that was in jest, because I cringe every single time I hear that.

The cop was 100% justified. It's very simple...you don't wanna get shot, you don't run from the police.
Old 07-03-06, 01:09 PM
Suspended

Do you think the shooting would still be justified if it turned out the officer knew the guy had a young girl with him?
Assuming the police officer has gone through weapons training and can ascertain where his weapon is being pointed, uuhhh, hell yes.
Old 07-03-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kneijst1
Let's see. Guy robs store. Confrots officer, and tries to flee. Guy hits officer with minivan, officer fires back in self defense. Pretty open and shut to me. Don't try and run people over, plain and simple. Especially don't run people over who have guns. I do feel bad for the daughter, but what kind of father is this? The officer should be re-instated IMO.
What I would have wrote.
Old 07-03-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Seems completely justified to me.. which is why I have no doubt the family will sue for millions and win.
Old 07-03-06, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like the guy was shoplifting baby formula.

Police fatally shoot shoplifting suspect
NORTH SMITHFIELD, R.I. (AP) July 3,2006
Police have released the name of the police officer who killed a shoplifting suspect in North
Smithfield.

He is Officer Russell Amato, a seven-year veteran of the department. Amato is on administrative leave pending an investigation by the Rhode Island State Police.

Amato shot 34-year-old James Wilcox of Pawtucket, who was fleeing a Stop and Shop in his minivan after allegedly shoplifting infant formula yesterday afternoon. Wilcox's five-year-old
daughter, who was also inside the van, was not injured and was in the custody of child welfare officials.

Police say Wilcox struck Amato with his minivan as he tried to drive away. Amato fired one shot, hitting Wilcox in the stomach.

Forty-five-year-old Carl Dinsmore of Cranston was with Wilcox and was arrested nearby.
Old 07-03-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Buh-bye, James Wilcox. Good riddance to ya.

Totally justified. And don't feel sorry for the daughter. If she's placed into foster care, she might be placed with a family who will actually care for her, and not bring her along to steal. She had two strikes against her with her mutt father.
Old 07-03-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For those who don't know, anyone stealing enough infant formula is up to no good. It doesn't say if he had another child or not, but stealing infant formula is bad bad news. Two reasons

1)You're going to sell it to an inner city store. Or return it to Wal Mart. You need money bad, so you try to sell what you stole to a store for a cut rate price. Or you get money from Wal Mart when you tell them your wife bought some, and this is the last month your daughter is needing it, so you dont need yours, and sorry but you threw the receipt away.

These type of people fall into 2 camps. The drug addicts. And the extremely poor. If this guy was a poor man, then I feel kind of sorry for him, as he probably did it to get money for bills/food for his family. If he was a druggie, then screw him. He needed money for his fix.

2) An uncommonly known practice is to cut your cocaine with similac powder. It has the same consistency, and won't harm the person snorting it, but you can make a pound into a pound and a few ounces, and cocaine isn't cheap.

There was an epidemic of this at the store I work at, and it got so bad, that we keep all of our formula under lock and key.

I hate fucking shoplifters, and this guy was definately up to no good. He may not deserve to be dead, but it isn't the cop's fault.
Old 07-03-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You got your cocaine in my baby formula!
No you got your baby formula in my cocaine!
Old 07-03-06, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

so if someone tried to run you over you would let them because they had a kid in the car?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.