Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Throwing up without being sick?

Old 07-02-06, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Throwing up without being sick?

While I was at work earlier tonight, I began to get a stomache ache and began to feel nausous. On the drive home I knew I was going to throw up. Now, within the past 4 hours I have puked 3 times, yet I don't feel sick otherwise. Has anyone else delt with this? I don't think I ate anything bad. Everything I ate today, other people were eating too and they seem fine. The only other thing I can think of is that I got something while being bitten by several misquitos today.

Any Thoughts?
Old 07-02-06, 04:33 AM

Once in the last year. It was after eating a Frosted Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tart. I don't know why, but that made me ralph.
Old 07-02-06, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Didn't they say that there's no true "Stomach Flu" and that it's almost always some level of food poisoning depending on how severe it is?
Old 07-02-06, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

AFAIK it sounds like moderate food poisoning. Some folks at work all got sick and threw up after we got Chinese on a Sunday afternoon (all of us called in sick the next day). I was up most of the night with nasty painful diarrhea...I didn't throw up, but I hear everyone else did a few times.
Old 07-02-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, well I think I figured it out. It kinda hit me this morning. Yesterday afternoon I wanted to heat something up in our microwave. I opened it up and it was NASTY (my fiance and I just moved into this apartment with one of our friends who was already living here) so before I heated the food, I cleaned out our microwave with some "all purpose cleaner" (I was just using water, but this crap was really stuck on). After that I wiped it down with a wet paper towel to get up all of the excess cleaner. I then used the microwave to heat up my food.

I am guessing there were still molecules of cleaner in the microwave that got into my food and that's what is making me sick (I also have 95% pure liquid diarreha). I am feeling a bit better today. The last time I puked last nite I got everything out of my stomache and was just dry heaving with some squirts of bile. I feel fine apart from this. But now I need to go to work and clean toilets (so I may puke again).

Thanks for all of your replies.
Old 07-02-06, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
AFAIK it sounds like moderate food poisoning. Some folks at work all got sick and threw up after we got Chinese on a Sunday afternoon (all of us called in sick the next day). I was up most of the night with nasty painful diarrhea...I didn't throw up, but I hear everyone else did a few times.
I've never had painful diarrhea, just a sore o ring..

Old 07-02-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

anxiety can cause puking.
Old 07-02-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

acid reflux

-p
Old 07-02-06, 03:21 PM

Gallbladder
Old 07-02-06, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

2 fingers and some determination

-p
Old 07-02-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had something a bit similar several years ago. For the first (and last) time, I took this multi-vitamin with breakfast, and within about 1 minute, I knew I was going to barf. In fact, the urge was so fast and so strong, I didn't even make it into the bathroom from the couch (puked somewhere in between). I felt fine immediately before, and I felt fine immediately afterwards-- I went to work, and everything was fine. I wasn't "sick" in the sense of a virus or infection, or even food poisoning. My body just did not want to take that vitamin.

I would guess you probably just had a reaction to something you were exposed to-- a foody, a chemical (as you mentioned), whatever. (I had a nasty reaction once to a trace chemical, too-- sounds like you nailed it).

Last edited by Dave7393; 07-02-06 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-02-06, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dave7393
I had something a bit similar several years ago. For the first (and last) time, I took this multi-vitamin with breakfast, and within about 1 minute, I knew I was going to barf. In fact, the urge was so fast and so strong, I didn't even make it into the bathroom from the couch (puked somewhere in between). I felt fine immediately before, and I felt fine immediately afterwards-- I went to work, and everything was fine. I wasn't "sick" in the sense of a virus or infection, or even food poisoning. My body just did not want to take that vitamin.
One-a-day vitamin? I know for a fact they can do this.
Old 07-03-06, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
One-a-day vitamin? I know for a fact they can do this.
Yeah, that's what it was. Like I said, I'd never taken one before, and I couldn't believe the reaction I had-- almost immediate, and I couldn't supress it at all. I'm definately not one to get sick/barf, etc over anything, so I really was amazed.

BTW, a few others had taken the same type of vitamin (it was at my mother's house) and nobody else had a reaction.
Old 07-03-06, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Several years ago, I started a job cooking at a Steak & Seafood resturant. It was my first day, and I didn't eat anything. For some reason, right after I got home, I started puking. Every few minutes, I would hurl or dry heave, for hours. I would drink some water in order to have something to puke up.

It never happened again, and I never knew what it was that caused it. My stomach and abs were really sore the next day, though.
Old 07-03-06, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dave7393
Yeah, that's what it was. Like I said, I'd never taken one before, and I couldn't believe the reaction I had-- almost immediate, and I couldn't supress it at all. I'm definately not one to get sick/barf, etc over anything, so I really was amazed.

BTW, a few others had taken the same type of vitamin (it was at my mother's house) and nobody else had a reaction.
Wow, I nailed it. I didn't want to say it was a widespread thing but I've known others who had similar reactions. I never had an immediate reaction like yours, but if I ate a small meal or no meal when taking a one a day pill I would get sick sooner or later.

I finally figured out it was that brand of Vitamin and I stopped taking them.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-03-06 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-03-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by moorehed
anxiety can cause puking.
This is true. I take BuSpar for panic disorder, and if I don't take it, I have panic attacks which can sometimes be severe enough that I throw up. No fun.

Over the weekend, I spent four hours cleaning a friend's kitchen because she was sick. She lives like an animal and lets her dog shit all over the house, so it's fly-infested like some horror movie. And she wonders why she's sick.
Old 07-03-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Too much cheap beer wil make you puke, too.

Also, food poisoning can happen to only one person who ate from something. If the salmonella was just getting started blooming in the northwest corner of the potato salad, for example.

But, it sounds more like the soap.

If you ever really need to clean out your system, soap will do it.
Old 07-03-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I don't eat anything all day I start to get bad headaches that sometimes lead to me to feeling ill and wanting to throw-up, most of the time I don't, but usually the drive home after work is not very pleasant. I take a nap and then feel better.
Old 07-03-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Joxer
I am guessing there were still molecules of cleaner in the microwave that got into my food and that's what is making me sick (I also have 95% pure liquid diarreha). I am feeling a bit better today. The last time I puked last nite I got everything out of my stomache and was just dry heaving with some squirts of bile. I feel fine apart from this. But now I need to go to work and clean toilets (so I may puke again).
Not sure exactly why, but the words "squirts of bile" almost made me feel relevant to the thread topic.
Old 07-03-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pregnancy?
Old 07-03-06, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Big Dave
When I don't eat anything all day I start to get bad headaches that sometimes lead to me to feeling ill and wanting to throw-up, most of the time I don't, but usually the drive home after work is not very pleasant. I take a nap and then feel better.

Food would work better.
Old 07-03-06, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
Food would work better.
Once a certain time period has passed, food does not really help. One time I tried to have something after the headache started and it just made the process of food exiting my body go a lot faster.