Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Question for Otter lawyers

Old 07-01-06, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Question for Otter lawyers

In Febuary, I purchased 2 roundtrip airline tickets on Airtran through cheaptickets.com. Cheap tickets never emailed me a confirmation for the tickets. I called them several times and each time they said they would send it but never did. Finally Airtran sent us a copy of the reservations days before the flight.

The only problem was cheaptickets screwed up the date of the return flight. it was over a month later than when I wanted to return. i called both airtran and cheaptickets to get the matter corrected. Being as they both have the worst customer service of any company i have ever encountered, the matter was not resolved.

I was forced to purchase 2 return flights from Southwest costing much more than the roundtrip tickets costed due to the reservations being made only days in advance. I filed a complaint with my creditcard company for a chargeback and my money from Airtran was retuned. airtran and cheaptickets had the opportunit to respond to the credit card company complaint but did not do so.

Four month later cheapticket through their subsiiary Orbitz charge my debit card $800, well over twice the cost of my original tickets with them.

My question is do they have any right to do this? They didn't give me the tickets for the date I ordered and they had every opportunity to follow through on the chargeback process but neglected to do so. Also jacking up the cost of the tickets to an amount I never agreed to in the first place seems illegal to me.
Old 07-01-06, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Dpends on your dispute process with your credit card company. Some CC companies can surprise you over a year later. Basically, they can charge your card whenever they want to and you will have to dispute it every single time. What happened is that your credit card company charged back to Orbitz. Orbitz then charged your card again. Since it was a new amount, it looks like a new charge. Technically it is, so you have re-dispute.

So right now do this.

1) Dispute the current charge.

2) Explain the situation to your CC company and then wait for your CC company to credit your account.

3) Once your account is credited, report your card lost. Orbitz won't have record of your new number and your card cannot be charged again unless you give the new number to them.

These days, it is not wise to keep your credit card number for more than 6 months. I change mine every 4 months. Any surprise charges have been reduced to 0.
Old 07-02-06, 04:38 AM

Dispute the second charge, you didn't authorize it.