Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Anyone play Go?

Old 07-01-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone play Go?

For years now off and on i have been wanting to learn to play Go with at least a modicum of skill the problem is my only friend who also plays lives a decent ways away so we never get to play. I recently broke down and started to play some against the computer and unranked games online but yeesh am i still terrible. I can win on a 9x9 board with a 4 stone handicap against the computer some (depending how skilled the AI is) and against my friend with some regularity but less than a 4 stone handicap and i am screwed.

Anyone else play or have every tried playing?
Old 07-01-06, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've always wanted to, ever since watching Pi, but never did come across a go board by chance.
Old 07-01-06, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That film also piqued my interest when i saw it. There is a program called CGoban that is a free download and lets you play on a server online with both real people and some AIs that play at the lower ranks. Which they still kick me around a good deal. I also just tonight found a computer program that will play you on a 9x9 board beginning with a 5 stone handicap and as you win it assigns you a rank and begins dropping away your handicap and re-adjusts after each game. It still crushes me
Old 07-01-06, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been very interested in Go since watching the anime Hikaru no go. Unfortunately, I also do not have anyone around me who plays Go so I've really not had any chance to learn to play it and I'm quite a bit leery of going onto a community Go server to play against someone with absolutely no real experience in the game at all. I've always heard there were no really good computerized Go games at this point but if anyone knows of some good ones I'd love to hear about them.

Michael
Old 07-01-06, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wanted to learn to play for many years, but never had anyone with a similar interest. I recently discovered the university in town has a Go club, so I may visit one of their play times.
Old 07-01-06, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From what i have been reading they have no good computerized go games for intermediate to advanced players. The go AI though is supposedly sufficient for beginners though. This link: http://kgs.kiseido.com/en_US/ is for the software that lets you log onto a Go server. I normally log on, look in the tab that is "All open games" (or something like that) and look for the 9x9 games that say the host is a robot or computer or something. That way i know i'm not irritating someone as i'm muddling about. You can even request a handicap from the computer and i have done that and actually won a couple games against the dumber AIs.

MSN Zone used to have a free Go game but it has been pulled off to revamp and re-release sometime this fall i guess. That should be fun because then i can hopefully hook up with some friends around the country or maybe even people on here and get some beginner games going while we figure it out.

Hikaru No Go is a great anime too - i love the lessons at the end of each episode.

While i love living in a rural area i do miss the fact that there is not a chance in the world there would be a Go club near me to learn from and play some games. Makes me wish we had something like in the anime.

edit: changed the url to link to the frontpage instead of directly to the download - that way you can read about it first.
Old 07-02-06, 12:28 AM

Played off an on for a few years but seeing as I only know one other person who plays my ability is rather low. Back when I carried my old PDA GnuGo killed a bit of time but it was not really suited for learning how to play effectively. Honestly I have played against a living person all of twice and the second game was called when everyone started eating, not that I was likely to keep it together in the end game, and the other player had played numerous times and read several books.
Old 07-02-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If anyone is looking for a free place to play online without installing any software Yahoo games has a Go game online. I've been playing it this evening with my friend in Indiana.
Old 07-02-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

until p=np, I will school the pc at go.
Old 07-02-06, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

p=np?
Old 07-02-06, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by xmiyux
p=np?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex...asses_P_and_NP
Old 07-03-06, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I read the first two sentences of that, and decided it was too much for me.

Enjoy your smartness.