Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The History of Food: (If you don't know, make it up...)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-01-06, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...

I always am interested in where food comes from, but sometimes I just make it up. But if you KNOW, that's even cooler.

I'm sitting here eating (drinking) a bowl of osuimono - it's a japanese soup that is almost water, with a few thin mushrooms and scallions.

It's origin? I have no idea. So I make it up:

MADE UP ORIGIN for Osuimono:

Long ago, poor Japanese fishermen had very little to eat. Their resourceful wives went out, gathered wild mushrooms and wild onions and went back indoors. Adding bits of dried fish to plain water, they placed it on the fire and threw in the cut up wild mushroom and onion. Voila (what would that be in Japanese?) ---- osuimono!

Poor Japanese fishermen! But, yes I'm enjoying this tasty but sparse soup.

What do you know about the history of food? Real or made up!
Old 07-01-06, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

On the 7th day.....God invented Sushi and Steak.

-p
Old 07-01-06, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Leave bread out for more than 10 days it turns into a Chia Pet
Old 07-01-06, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pedagogue
On the 7th day.....God invented Sushi and Steak.

-p
Both raw, of course.

But didn't sushi come on the fifth day and steak on the sixth? Stickler, I know, and you can make it up....

(I'm not sure if chicken is fifth or sixth day since the damn things can't fly)
Old 07-01-06, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
Leave bread out for more than 10 days it turns into a Chia Pet
Just add water and it becomes broccoli.
Old 07-01-06, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Corn Flakes and Toasted Ravioli were discovered by accident (not at the same time though).
Old 07-01-06, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One of these food stories is bullshit, the rest are real. Can you guess which one I made up?
  • Potato chips were invented by a pissed off chef named George Crum. This was shortly after French Fries had been invented, and the rage was to have thin-cut French Fries. So one day, a customer comes into Crum's restaurant and orders the fries. Crum makes a batch of fries, but the customer complains -- they're too thick. Crum tries again, and still the custome complains. Finally, Crum has had enough. He slices the potato as thin as he can and fries it up. The customer loves it, and potato chips are born!

• When the Civil War came to an end, Confederate Colonel Harland Sanders moved to Louisville, Kentucky and opened a dry goods store where he also served meals. As time went on, Colonel Sanders saw more of his income coming from the food he served -- particularly his fried chicken. In 1873, he stopped selling dry goods entirely to concentrate on the restaurant. By the time he died in 1931, he had seen his restaurant empire expand from its humble beginings in a store to an empire with 14 locations -- a drop in the bucket compared to today, when we of course know it as KFC. One popular rumor contends that part of the reason for the restaurant's popularity is that until the 1920s (when it was outlawed) marijuana was part of the Colonel's secret blend of eleven herbs and spices. The company has steadfastly refused to comment.

• If your name was Frank Epperson and you invented a delicious frozen dessert on a stick, what would you call it? Frank called his invention the Epsicle, but alas for him, the name didn't catch on. History has come to know his invention instead as the popsicle.

• The Baby Ruth candy bar was named after President Grover Cleveland's daughter Ruth -- or so the Curtiss Candy Company claims. Grover Cleveland left office (for the second time) in 1897 and his daughter Ruth lived from 1891-1904. While she was something of a national sensation -- Cleveland had already served his first of two (non-consecutive) terms when she was born -- the candy bar didn't debut until 1920. By that time, the country had moved on to other interests, such as the specatcular batter who had just been sold by the Red Sox to the Yankees -- George "Babe" Ruth. Curtiss swore in court that it wasn't attempting to cash in on the baseball player's fame and popularity, and succeeded in a later lawsuit against the player. Baby Ruth footnote: when Nabisco bought Curtiss in 1981, they realized that nobody knew the formula for Baby Ruth. Thus, the Baby Ruth (and Butterfinger) were both reformulated in the early 1980s.

The made up story is the one about
Spoiler:
KFC (you guessed the one about the Epsicle, didn't you?)
Old 07-01-06, 08:06 PM
Banned

The Origin of Water:

Adam and Eve were living peacefully in the Garden of Eden until a couple days after their creation. They started getting sick for no apparent reason. They prayed to God for help. God answered them and created a lake of liquid stuff for them which God called "water." He explained to them about "dehydration" and that to prevent it they had to drink this water. Adam asked what would happen when they had drank all the water and the lake was gone. God explained to them about the water cycle process. After a certain amount of time, Adam and Eve would pee the water out of their bodies, the water would evaporate, then rain clouds would form and the water would fall from the clouds and fill up the lake. Adam looked at God and said " You expect us to drink our own pee?" God said "Yes, it is the natural process and will not harm your bodies. It might even taste good." With that he went back up into Heaven. So as the years passed, Adam and Eve continued to drink water which was, in essence, their recycled pee. Their sons and daughters drank the water, and their grandchildren drank the water. Moses drank the water that was the recycled pee of the Adam and Eve family. Genghis Khan drank the water. George Washington drank the water. Michael Jackson drinks water. Every living person must drink of the water to survive. So, the next time you are thirsty and grab a glass of water to drink, remember this, you are drinking the recycled pee of Adam and Eve and Genghis Khan and George Washington and Michael Jackson and billions and billions of other people. Tasty!
Old 07-01-06, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't the Coca-Cola name from Cocaine?
Old 07-01-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

humans became ferocious hunters and soon wild game began to die out. a bunch of pre-iraqis and iranians in the middle east noticed that some seeds were tasty and took them back to the camp. after a few generations they noticed that if you threw them into the ground you got more plants and seeds and that by selecting them you can change the charateristics to make the plants bigger. They also noticed that if you shit in the field the grass grew bigger. and so modern civilization was born as well as bread and anything made out of bread.
Old 07-01-06, 08:53 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Seeker
Isn't the Coca-Cola name from Cocaine?
Not quite cocaine, but coca leaves which are the raw material for cocaine. No wonder it was sold in the farmacies as a cure all.......
Old 07-01-06, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
The Origin of Water:

Adam and Eve were living peacefully in the Garden of Eden until a couple days after their creation. They started getting sick for no apparent reason. They prayed to God for help. God answered them and created a lake of liquid stuff for them which God called "water." He explained to them about "dehydration" and that to prevent it they had to drink this water. Adam asked what would happen when they had drank all the water and the lake was gone. God explained to them about the water cycle process. After a certain amount of time, Adam and Eve would pee the water out of their bodies, the water would evaporate, then rain clouds would form and the water would fall from the clouds and fill up the lake. Adam looked at God and said " You expect us to drink our own pee?" God said "Yes, it is the natural process and will not harm your bodies. It might even taste good." With that he went back up into Heaven. So as the years passed, Adam and Eve continued to drink water which was, in essence, their recycled pee. Their sons and daughters drank the water, and their grandchildren drank the water. Moses drank the water that was the recycled pee of the Adam and Eve family. Genghis Khan drank the water. George Washington drank the water. Michael Jackson drinks water. Every living person must drink of the water to survive. So, the next time you are thirsty and grab a glass of water to drink, remember this, you are drinking the recycled pee of Adam and Eve and Genghis Khan and George Washington and Michael Jackson and billions and billions of other people. Tasty!
Old 07-01-06, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
When the Civil War came to an end, Confederate Colonel Harland Sanders moved to Louisville, Kentucky and opened a dry goods store where he also served meals. As time went on, Colonel Sanders saw more of his income coming from the food he served -- particularly his fried chicken. In 1873, he stopped selling dry goods entirely to concentrate on the restaurant. By the time he died in 1931, he had seen his restaurant empire expand from its humble beginings in a store to an empire with 14 locations -- a drop in the bucket compared to today, when we of course know it as KFC. One popular rumor contends that part of the reason for the restaurant's popularity is that until the 1920s (when it was outlawed) marijuana was part of the Colonel's secret blend of eleven herbs and spices. The company has steadfastly refused to comment.
I knew this was false because I saw Sanders on an episode of What's My Line?
Old 07-01-06, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I knew this was false because I saw Sanders on an episode of What's My Line?
I'm not sure what that proves. It's a known fact that John Daly used to recruit guests with a time machine, right up until the unfortunate incident in 1965 when Dorothy Kilgallen asked the mystery guest if he was from Europe and the mystery guest -- who happened to be Atilla the Hun -- responded by beheading her. The episode of What's My Line you saw was probably filmed before then.
Old 07-02-06, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
I'm not sure what that proves. It's a known fact that John Daly used to recruit guests with a time machine, right up until the unfortunate incident in 1965 when Dorothy Kilgallen asked the mystery guest if he was from Europe and the mystery guest -- who happened to be Atilla the Hun -- responded by beheading her. The episode of What's My Line you saw was probably filmed before then.
I'm guessing Game Show Network doesn't air that one.