Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Discovery launch - 7/1/06

Old 07-01-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Discovery launch - 7/1/06

Here we go... Anyone else going to watch?

Launch scheduled for 3:49 EST.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/0...nch/index.html
Old 07-01-06, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since I helped cut all the window retainers and most of the other metals in it's early stages I will be watching with a little enthusiasm!
Old 07-01-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be watching!
Old 07-01-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's been scrubbed because someone stuck gum on the inside of the window retainers and most of the other metals.

Edit: Apparently, they're going any way, because the astronauts are now heading for the shuttle.

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 07-01-06 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-01-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
It's been scrubbed because someone stuck gum on the inside of the window retainers and most of the other metals.

Edit: Apparently, they're going any way, because the astronauts are now heading for the shuttle.
Old 07-01-06, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

which flavor? Juicy Fruit and Double Mint?

is that NASA channel showing it live?
Old 07-01-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yay Discovery.
Old 07-01-06, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like skittles gum
Old 07-01-06, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Scrubbed for today due to weather
Old 07-01-06, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This happened LAST time I had a thread for a launch.
Old 07-01-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So now we know who to blame!
Old 07-01-06, 04:51 PM

The shuttle coverage was great in HD on HDNET - i'll be in front of the tv tomorrow to hopefully see it.
Old 07-03-06, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

CNN Breaking News:
Engineers may have found a 4 to 5 inch crack in the foam on the space shuttle Discovery’s external fuel tank, sources tell CNN.
Update: NASA confirms workers have found a 4 to 5 inch long crack in the foam insulation covering a bracket on Discovery's external fuel tank. Mission managers are discussing the issue and will decide if the launch will be delayed.

Last edited by lordwow; 07-03-06 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-03-06, 08:52 AM
Suspended

NASA

National Accidents in Space Association.
Old 07-03-06, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster
Scrubbed for today due to weather
Maybe it's common knowledge, maybe it isn't: ABC News said it costs $1 million each time they scrub due to weather.
Old 07-03-06, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lordwow
CNN Breaking News:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060703/.../space_shuttle

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - Inspectors found a 5-inch-long crack in the foam insulation covering the shuttle Discovery's external fuel tank, and NASA managers were deciding Monday whether to call off the scheduled Fourth of July launch.

ADVERTISEMENT

The crack was spotted during an overnight inspection. NASA had scrubbed launch plans Saturday and Sunday because of poor weather and had removed fuel from the tank.

The inspectors found the crack, which was 8 inches deep, in the foam on a bracket near the top of the external fuel tank.

"We don't know if it's a problem or not," NASA spokesman George Diller said Monday.

Officials were meeting to determine whether it could be fixed for a Tuesday liftoff.

If NASA decides to go ahead with the launch Tuesday, it would be the first manned launch by the United States on the nation's birthday, and only the second liftoff of a space shuttle since the 2003 Columbia disaster.

Concerns about cracks in the fuel tank's foam insulation have dogged the program since Columbia exploded over Texas on Feb. 1, 2003. A chunk of flyaway foam had damaged Columbia's wing during liftoff, allowing superheated gas to penetrate the shuttle when it re-entered the atmosphere.

NASA tried to fix the problem before trying another launch, but more foam broke off Discovery's redesigned tank last July, barely missing the shuttle.

NASA Administrator Michael Griffin decided the shuttle should go into orbit despite the concerns of two top agency managers who wanted additional repairs to the foam insulation.

The mission for Discovery's crew this time is to test shuttle-inspection techniques, deliver supplies to the international space station and drop off German astronaut Thomas Reiter for a six-month stay.

The weather forecast for a Tuesday liftoff was better than it was on Sunday or Monday, with a 40 percent chance that storms at launch time would prevent liftoff, said U.S. Air Force 1st Lt. Kaleb Nordgren, a shuttle weather forecaster. NASA planned to make launch attempts on Tuesday and on Wednesday if necessary.
Old 07-03-06, 01:11 PM
Suspended

Here's a wild idea and forgive me for suggesting it since I'm not a NASA scientist, Cosmic guru, or employee.

But can we build a new fucking design, already? Thanks! Would really appreciate it! I'd like to know our space program is not stuck at a time period when Madonna's Borderline was played every 15 minutes.
Old 07-03-06, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lordwow
CNN Breaking News:
Woah good thing the weather was bad or a repeat of Columbia may very well have happened
Old 07-03-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Here's a wild idea and forgive me for suggesting it since I'm not a NASA scientist, Cosmic guru, or employee.

But can we build a new fucking design, already? Thanks! Would really appreciate it! I'd like to know our space program is not stuck at a time period when Madonna's Borderline was played every 15 minutes.
Actually, they are. The shuttles are set to be retired. First Atlantis next year, then Discovery and Endeavor to follow. A new type of ship is being designed for a launch in or about 2012.
Old 07-03-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Woah good thing the weather was bad or a repeat of Columbia may very well have happened"

Actually this occured because we didn't launch, because the line cooled so fast it froze the rain on the outside of the tank whicha caused the clamp to pinch the foam and a small peice came off. The peice that came off is half the size that is considerd dangerous to the shuttle. The only worry is if the integrety of the foam around the crack has been compromised...
Old 07-03-06, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei

There have been several efforts to work out a new design over the years but funding tends to not be granted delaying any sort of rollout.
Old 07-03-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Goldblum
Actually, they are. The shuttles are set to be retired. First Atlantis next year, then Discovery and Endeavor to follow. A new type of ship is being designed for a launch in or about 2012.
Yeah, and it's going to look a lot like Apollo. The Shuttle was a disaster all along. What a waste of time, money, and lives.
Old 07-04-06, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

2:37 p.m launch scheduled. If it goes, it will be the first 4th of July launch.
Old 07-04-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The weather is great, its gonna go today I can feel it!
Old 07-04-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unless Thor jinxed it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.