DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Other than resting, how can I get my voice back? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/470442-other-than-resting-how-can-i-get-my-voice-back.html)

Cardiff Giant11 06-30-06 07:37 PM

Other than resting, how can I get my voice back?

So I went to the Red Sox game last night and totally lost my voice from screaming. I know that resting my voice and time will make it come back to normal in a day or two but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do in the interim. I was wondering if drinking orange juice or other citrus drinks would help (it seems to help when I have a sore throat). Any other home remedies?

dick_grayson 06-30-06 07:40 PM

gargle with some gentleman's relish. it'll make you sing like Rod Stewart.

GMan2819 06-30-06 08:01 PM

Get your throat massaged....from the inside.

The Short Bus 07-01-06 04:26 PM

try breathing, not singing, while in a hot shower. the steam should help. citrus may irritate it. definitely massage from inside.

Pressplay 07-02-06 12:33 AM

NO citrus. Gargle with salted water then have a few tablespoons of liquid glycerin (they sell it at the drugstore) or honey. And as previously suggested, steam should help, too.

DAC 07-02-06 01:51 AM

Seman is the only cure. You need to swollow seman. Lots and lots of seman. Get busy!

ShallowHal 07-02-06 04:36 AM

Get some chewable cherry flavored zinc supplements from Walgreens. Don't chew them, let them melt in your mouth (the last half isn't as cherryriffic). They're great for sore throats and coughs.

Giantrobo 07-02-06 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Pressplay
NO citrus. Gargle with salted water then have a few tablespoons of liquid glycerin (they sell it at the drugstore) or honey. And as previously suggested, steam should help, too.

Yes, moisture is the key. But there's no magical quick fix. Rest and moisture will take care of everything.

adamblast 07-02-06 11:36 AM

As you might guess, losing your voice is a common and serious business in acting, and very frequent when a part calls for you to shout and scream alot and you're not used to protecting your voice while doing it. (Which basically means letting the "tone" flow freely like singing, minimizing both breathiness and throat constriction....)

Recapping and extending: Vocal rest is #1, steam is good, and I'd add for you to increase your water uptake. Hot tea with lemon and honey is the home remedy you'll hear most, and may help... but the citrus, as you've heard, can have the wrong effect, otherwise any warm drinks are great as are most slimey things like honey and glycerine. Slipper elm is a natural lozenge that tastes like shit but will coat well. Keep the saliva production up--lots of hard candies or gum or Ricolas or any non-menthol cough drops...

NORML54601 07-03-06 11:16 AM

If it truely loves you, it'll come back on it's own.

Vibiana 07-03-06 11:32 AM

I'm a singer. When I have an irritated throat I take a spoonful of honey and lemon juice.

Also, you have to rest your voice. Don't talk above a whisper if you can help it, until you are completely better.