Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Tell me about Orlando Fl

Old 06-30-06, 01:17 PM
RVP

Tell me about Orlando Fl

I am moving to the Orlando/Kissimme area in 3 weeks and wanted to know if anyone could give me some good info. I have lived in Michigan all my life, so I know the Temp. will be a factor. I flew down and checked it out last month, but all I learned is that there are too many tourists, and too much traffic. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-30-06, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk God

there is a pretty nice theme park down there
just follow the big mouse to the huge ball
Old 06-30-06, 01:35 PM
RVP

I went to Universal while I was down there. I wasn't real impressed. I will probably someday go to Disney, but it isn't real important to me.
Old 06-30-06, 01:40 PM

but all I learned is that there are too many tourists, and too much traffic. Any help would be appreciated.
That about sums it up.

What specifically did you want to know? The temperature definitely will be a factor, 95 can feel a lot hotter when you have 100% humidity as well. You'll have to start worrying about hurricanes, and you'll be able to appreciate some amazing thunder/lightning storms.

Also practice NOT staring at blatent mullets. You'll be fine.
Old 06-30-06, 02:06 PM
RVP

I would like to know what are some good places to go for fun outside of the tourist traps. Also good restaraunts, bars, clubs. Place to shop. Any ways to avoid the traffic (I have already been told to take the toll ways). What beaches are good. What places to avoid. Just things I will need to learn to adjust for everyday life. I am currently getting nervous about the move, which is why I started the thread.
Old 06-30-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well you are moving to the "tourist trap" in Kississimee, but its ok...Metro West isnt too bad. Get to downtown and what not. The main problem with Orlando is its built for families. Some of my fav restaurants were Amira's Kosher Deli, Porky's BBQ in Apopka, Girabaldi's Mexican Restaurant, Don Pepe's Cuban, Ichiban for Sushi. Its been a long time since I used to go clubbing, so I cant help you there. Most everything as far as shopping is in Malls, which there are quite a few. The tolls are the best way to get around, and I used to think they were pricey until I moved up to NYC. The bus system in Orlando is a joke, and always wished they would get rid of it. I was basically born and raised there so anything else, just ask...I actually miss Orlando.
Old 06-30-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most everything in Orlando is tourist oriented so it's really had to avoid that whole thing. You just have to go with the flow and adjust. Kissimme is a bit better but it's nothing very fancy.

Roads all suck. I thankfully lived close enough to work that I could walk but on my days off I often fought awful traffic. I lived just outside of Downtown Disney so the traffic was a nightmare for me to even to even just go a small distance from home.

The heat is certainly an issue but you'll adjust to most days just fine. The few record breakers we had are days I could never get used to. The storms are something you'll learn to live with. We got our cat while we lived down there and she had to deal with some wrath of god type weather. Even now that we have moved she panics each time there is a clap of thunder or a small sprinkle of rain.

The variety of food there will blow your mind. The resort I was a chef at had a number of spectacular restaurants that were written about in the newspaper a number of times. People often drove onto the resort property just to dine there. It's also great to go to the Disney hotels to eat as well. The breakfast buffet at Wilderness Lodge can't be beat. No matter what you like you'll be set.

Even with all the problems I would give anything to move back. I still resent my wife a great deal for making us move back to Pittsburgh. You can do pretty much anything in that area and most things. I'm a night person so it was great having everything open so late. The theme parks got old after a few years but the AMC at Downtown Disney is where I have 90% of my best movie memories and I spent almost as much time there as I did at work.
Old 06-30-06, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you are an outdoorsy type...they have some good trails you can hike. I can't remember the names of them specifically, but I think they are part of the Magic Mountain range. Just ask around.

-p
Old 06-30-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
Even with all the problems I would give anything to move back. .
100% agree...
Old 06-30-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Depends where you live in Orlando. I live on the East side very far away from the tourists closer to UCF. The weather is great, it's basically either hot or not as hot. There's maybe 2 weeks of cold weather though it feels a lot worse than it is because it never gets cold. We've only got 1 pro sports team the Orlando Magic. And even then most Orlandoians don't care about the team. Yes, Disney and Universal are here and I've been there a billion times but they're about an hour away from here so I don't go too much. There are plenty of things to do. The movie theatres at Disney and Universal are pretty great. There's also one at the Altamonte Springs Mall which is fantastic. The beaches are kinda far but worth it. The clubs downtown are pretty state of the art but I'm more of a bar kinda guy.

The traffic can be bad and the drivers are terrible. I don't think I've ever seen red lights abused so much as down here. The housing used to be cheap but now you can't get much if anything for less than $200K. Well, that's around here. And yes the bus system is still a joke. Very unreliable. But we've got most stuff that most towns got. There are nice shopping centers pretty much everywhere. Everything is spread out and you definitely need a car and to know where you're going when downtown. The citrus bowl area is bad that's what they would call "the other side of the tracks". The city is very family friendly probably because Disney has a huge say in everything. The strippers have to wear pasties in Orange County. Unless you work downtown most jobs around here suck.

Watching the space shuttle launch never gets old though.
Old 06-30-06, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Rum Jungle (i think that is the name) is pretty decent. Paris' club is fun, though there were a few too many idiots at the end of the night (i partied in the VIP last year when she was there. I don't care what people say...she is hot in person)

-p
Old 06-30-06, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I live in Orlando. The area around kissimmie / disney / universal is very touristy, I work in a bar on I-Drive and love meeting all the british tourists. Most locals look down on the theme parks, but I'm a big kid at heart and can't get enough. I find the cost of living is rather cheap in Orlando compaired to other places, there's always stuff to do and so many places to eat. with the House of Blues and Hard Rock cafe there is almost always a popular music act playing every weekend. if you want to get away from the Tourists, Downtown Orlando has many clubs and bars and always packed on the weekend, the downtown area is fairly safe too compaired other cities. Orlando east and south of downtown is far from the disney traps and very nice, college park, altimounte springs. Bars, Malls, Shopping, places to eat, neighborhoods, your usual suburbian crap. i'm a sucker for thirft shops and they are everywhere. Yes the traffic can be bad... all I can say if after you learn your way around, you will find out where the back roads and shortcuts are. avoid I-4 between 4-6, it's hell. Orlando is a fairly liberal town full of tranplanted northerners, college students and city folk, but remember you are in the south, drive about 20-30 minutes outside of Orlando in any direction and you're in redneck-land.

The Weather - during the summer it's hotter than hell and rains eveyday around 4pm, I usually stay in as much as I can. When you open your car door you have to stand there for 2 minutes to let the heat exscape. It always cools down at night when the sun goes down, which is nice. most the rest of the year is nice "open up the windows and wear a t-shirt and shorts weather" Around December - Feb. there are a few weeks off and on when it get cold.. not up north cold, but you might have to break out a jacket.

Beach - Daytona Beach is a one hour drive straight arcoss on I-4, it's a bit touristy, but nice, lots of bars and things to see, the resturant on end of the main street pier is fun. There's a broadwalk type area near the main street pier with arcades with many games still there from the 80's, ice cream and t-shirt shops. It's been there for years and I hear the local busniess men want to tear it down, so see it while you can. As long as you avoid the Spring Breaks and Biker Weeks, Daytona is pretty deserted and you can find a nice hotel room right on the beach for around $35 a night.
Tampa is about an hour, maybe a little more, drive west on 1-4, the beaches thee are nice, the best Beach is Sarasota, which is an hour south of Tampa, it takes about 2 hours to get to from Orlando, but worth it, go to Siesta Key in Sarasota, it's one of the top rated beaches in the world.

hope that helped
Old 06-30-06, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RVP
I will probably someday go to Disney, but it isn't real important to me.
Are you a Satanist? Is that it? Do you love Satan? If I lived in Kissimmee, I would be at DW so much, I would start to look like Mickey Mouse.

It's going to be really hot and humid to you at first. Give it a couple of years until your blood thins. Then, anything below 60 degrees will have you shivering.
Old 06-30-06, 10:55 PM
RVP

Thanks for the replies. I am glad to hear that people who have moved away still would like to move back. I am actually following my wife down there, because she got a teaching position in an elm. school. I am looking forward to not having to deal with the winters we get in MI. And yes I probably will go to Disney, my wife already wants a season pass.
Old 07-01-06, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also get used to the idea that from May through September, there will be a monsoon every day at 3pm. After a month of living here, you won't even notice.

Orlando isn't a world class city, it's pathetic for sports, but there are a large number of excellent restaurants and lots of fun things to do because of the tourist industry. And remember, no state income tax.
Old 07-01-06, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Originally Posted by dstrauss
Also get used to the idea that from May through September, there will be a monsoon every day at 3pm. After a month of living here, you won't even notice.

Orlando isn't a world class city, it's pathetic for sports, but there are a large number of excellent restaurants and lots of fun things to do because of the tourist industry. And remember, no state income tax.
Orlando itself is pathetic for pro sports especially when compared to other cities(the Magic used to be great)but there is a great variety of sports within 90 miles:
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Tampa Bay Lightning
Tampa Bay Devil Rays - (D-Rays suck but their opponents don't)
Orlando predators - Arena football
Tampa Bay Storm - Arena Football
UCF Knights - football on the rise
USF Bulls - football program is has improved by leaps and bounds
UF Gators - great athletics all around
Plus a few minor league ball teams in the area - I used to love going to Daytona Cubs games
And if I am not mistaken there may be a MLS team in the area

As for beaches on the Atlantic side (more waves cooler water) you have Flagler Beach, Ormond Beach, Daytona Beach, Ponce Inlet, New Smyrna Beach Bethune Beach, Cocoa Beach, Sateliite Beach, Port Canaveral beaches
And plenty others on the Gulf Coast - Flat waves warmer waters.

And the variety and quality of the restaurants will amaze you as others have said. Ichibans and Don Pepes's and the food in the resorts are fantastic. Disney World and Universal will grow on you especially once you figure out the best time of year to go.
And there are plenty of water parks to cool off.
You wil get used to the weather and I-4 is frequently called the worlds largest parking lot.
Central Florida is a great place to live.
Old 07-01-06, 10:42 AM
RVP

Originally Posted by dstrauss
no state income tax.
Really? This is the first i have heard of that. I was happy that there was no deposit on cans. What is the sales tax rate then?

Does anyone who lives in Florida ride a Motorcycle year round? I would like to get one as my main vehichle after I take the MSF courses.

Last edited by RVP; 07-01-06 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-01-06, 01:43 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by RVP
Really? This is the first i have heard of that. I was happy that there was no deposit on cans. What is the sales tax rate then?

Does anyone who lives in Florida ride a Motorcycle year round? I would like to get one as my main vehichle after I take the MSF courses.
The sales tax rate in Tampa is 7%, but it varies from county to county. I can't imagine Orlando being much more.

If you like motorcycles, you're in the right state for that. I think every town has a bike event at some point. Daytona beach bike week is legendary and the awesome thing about FL is that you don't have to wear a helmet while riding. We have motorcycle fatalities all the time down here.

Don't worry about the move. When you're grilling out on Christmas day and all your friends are busy shivering under a foot of snow in MI, you'll appreciate it.
Old 07-01-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

....oh, and there is sand. and kids. and lots of over-priced stuff.

-p
Old 07-01-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's not so much that the temps under sixty make us shiver, it is that on monday it will by 82 tuesday it will be 55 and wednesday back to mid 70's you can never get used to one temp...
Old 07-03-06, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would never move to Orlando. The few times I have been there, I didn't like it. The drivers are insane, and not in the good way. I had decided I probably wouldn't ride my motorcycle down there, as nobody looks before swerving through 4 lanes.

If you like mini-golf, though, you are going to be in heaven. I've never seen so many in my life. It's like a ghetto and liquor stores, they are 3 to a block.
Old 07-03-06, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am doing exactly the opposite of you. I am moving from Orlando, to Michigan, in about 2 weeks. Personally, while there is much to like in Orlando, having lived in Florida all my life, I flipping can't wait to leave.

Once I moved to Orlando for school I became the launching point for every possible family members visit to the "attractions." I saw more of my family living in Orlando that I ever wanted too. If you can manage to relocate in the University area it isn't so bad. Traffic on this side of town can get annoying, but doesn't stay permanantly that way. There are numerous good places to eat, and the clubs you are looking for will be located downtown, approx. 20 minutes away from the area.

While you get used to the heat, you will hate it. You won't miss the snow, but you will certainly long for a winter that stays regularly below 70 degrees. It honestly the hurricanes which were the last straw for me. I loathe the unpredictableness of them, oh, and the fact that when we took the double shot a couple years back I was without power for two weeks in the dead of summer. That got unpleasant quite quickly.
Old 07-03-06, 09:37 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Decadance
I am doing exactly the opposite of you. I am moving from Orlando, to Michigan, in about 2 weeks. Personally, while there is much to like in Orlando, having lived in Florida all my life, I flipping can't wait to leave.

Once I moved to Orlando for school I became the launching point for every possible family members visit to the "attractions." I saw more of my family living in Orlando that I ever wanted too. If you can manage to relocate in the University area it isn't so bad. Traffic on this side of town can get annoying, but doesn't stay permanantly that way. There are numerous good places to eat, and the clubs you are looking for will be located downtown, approx. 20 minutes away from the area.

While you get used to the heat, you will hate it. You won't miss the snow, but you will certainly long for a winter that stays regularly below 70 degrees. It honestly the hurricanes which were the last straw for me. I loathe the unpredictableness of them, oh, and the fact that when we took the double shot a couple years back I was without power for two weeks in the dead of summer. That got unpleasant quite quickly.
I guess it's all about perspective. Having lived in the north all my life, I couldn't wait to get away from the cold, dark winters. I always felt gloomy in the winter because you couldn't go outside and play the spring and summer sports which were my favorite. Going to the beach was a 2 month window where the water was even swimable. Now I can do those things year round and I don't have to fight snow storms that cause commutes to double and tripple in time. My life has never been better.
Old 07-03-06, 10:22 AM
RVP

I have hated the Michigan weather for years, so I think I will be okay with switching the snow for the heat. Traffic may be crazy down there, but you should try driving in Michigan snowstorms. Half the people slam on the brakes, the other half think their 4 wheel drive will get them anywhere and hit the gas. I won't miss driving down the highway and seeing cars in the ditch on either side. About once a year I either hit, or come very close to hitting deer, so I will be happy not to have to worry about that.
Old 07-03-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, you just have to worry about hitting smaller critters here. Or, during hurricanes when entire trees fall on your cars. I had people in my complex who not only were without power for two weeks, but couldn't drive anywhere because a 30 foot tree decided it looked better through their windshield.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.