Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Yet another question about working out

Old 06-30-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yet another question about working out

Ok..a quick history before I get to my question. All through high school I was chubby..not FAT but chubby. After my junior year I really got into running and went from 225lbs to 175lbs. Despite being scrawny I always had a little bit of a gut. I also got into cycling a little because as I piled on the miles (40 a week) my knees started to ache.

So fast forward 9 years..

I'm still an avid runner/cyclist. I'm 6'1" and weigh around 185lbs..despite runner 15 miles and cycling 150 miles a week I still have a little gut. With summer here (I'm a teacher) I have plenty of time of my hands. I recently joined a gym and have been going everyday for a couple hours.

If I do bicep curls, or tricep presses one day (for example), can I do them the next day too? I don't do tons of weight (I don't want bulk) but I do push myself to failure. I'm stuggling to find new exercises everyday without repeating any from the day before...

Any advice/suggestions?
Old 06-30-06, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You need to give yourself 2 or 3 days rest on muscle exercises. Generally, do arms one day, back another, legs another, etc. Mix it up.

The gut is probably from diet. Cut out fat and calories, eat healthy and a mixture of fgood ("good" fat, protein, carbs) and it should go down.
Old 06-30-06, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you're doing weight training, you always want to give you muscles two days rest before you work that group again. They need that much time to rebuild themselves. Even at light weights it's still not a good idea. Try to work a different muscle group each day. For example, when I go to the gym Monday is for chest/shoulders, Tuesday is legs, Wednesday is arms (biceps and triceps), and Thursday is back/abs.

Last edited by Noonan; 06-30-06 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-30-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always thought u could do Abs everyday?

Thanks for the advice though guys!
Old 06-30-06, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk God

where do you buy fgood?
Old 06-30-06, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by namrufmot

Thanks for the advice though guys!
A lot of people will do situps or crunches every day which is still not the best thing to do, but okay. If you're doing an ab workout that involves weights using a machine or holding free weights while doing crunches, it's just like all other muscle groups.
Old 06-30-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
It all depends on what you're shooting for...

If your goal is to tighten and tone muscles:

- Focus on increasing reps, decreasing rest, and changing exercises frequently
- Train each muscle group twice per week
- Perform fewer sets of many different exercises (1-2 sets per exercise)

If your goal is to increase strength and power:

- Focus on increasing weight
- Train each muscle group once every 7-10 days
- Perform multiple sets of each exercise (2-5 sets per exercise)

If your goal is to increase muscle size:

- Focus on shocking muscles by changing variables frequently (exercises, set and rep schemes, rest time, etc)
- Train each muscle group on a variable schedule (experiment by training a muscle group 3 times a week and then once every ten days)
- Perform multiple sets for a while and the perform single sets for a week or two
Based on your narrative, you are probably going for the first option, tighten and tone.

As far as the gut, Bus speaks the truth. The only way to get rid of that last little bit of belly fat is to further regulate your menu. Building more muscle tissue will cause your body to burn more calories, even at rest, but at a certain point you'd have to increase your intake to build more muscle tissue.. Good luck!
Old 06-30-06, 02:19 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Originally Posted by namrufmot

That's really between him and his gf.
Old 06-30-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's my diet (once again its easy to maintain because I have sumemrs off):

8am - 6oz Yogurt
11am - Protein Shake (When I get home from gym)
2pm - 3 Eggs w/ toast
6pm - Chicken and rice
10pm - 6oz Yogurt
Old 06-30-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You dont have to rest your muscles every 2 days...You should rest as your body needs rest, and not some presrcibed notion of what popular thought is. I would also stop doing so many isolation exercises (biceps (curls), tricpes (push-downs), etc). Isolating your muscles is not only ineffecient, is can also lead to frustration. Learn to do Olympic lifts, and try incorporating various gymnast movements into your workouts such as dips, pull-ups, planche push-ups, L-sits, handstands (dont laugh, you would be surprised at how you can learn to do these). Regularly learn and do new exercises and remember that routine is the enemy, you should always be trying something new. Also, with diet, you would be surprised at how cutting some of the carbs out and upping some of the healthy fats will "lean" you out. You may not lose weight but you will lose your gut.
Old 06-30-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
You dont have to rest your muscles every 2 days...You should rest as your body needs rest, and not some presrcibed notion of what popular thought is.
That's completely untrue when it comes to lifting weights. When you work a muscle group using weights you're actually tearing the muscles. Depending on the person it takes 1-2 days for them to rebuild which is what makes them grow and become stronger. If you try to work them every day they will never have time to recover. This is why most people say they are most soar the 2nd day after working out.
Old 06-30-06, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by noonan4224
For example, when I go to the gym Monday is for chest/shoulders, Tuesday is legs, Wednesday is arms (biceps and triceps), and Thursday is back/abs.
How long do you go for each session? I tried doing this strategy but found that only after 15-20 minutes of doing (selected muscle group) exercises then they would be tired. I opted for a full body workout on M-W-F doing 3 sets of each exercise so that keeps me in the gym for an hour or so.
Old 06-30-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sinned
How long do you go for each session? I tried doing this strategy but found that only after 15-20 minutes of doing (selected muscle group) exercises then they would be tired. I opted for a full body workout on M-W-F doing 3 sets of each exercise so that keeps me in the gym for an hour or so.
I do three exercises for each muscle group, and 4 sets of 10 of each. Each session usually takes about 45 min to an hour if I'm by myself which is two muscle groups except for legs. For arms I do three exercises for each biceps and triceps.
Old 06-30-06, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by noonan4224
That's completely untrue when it comes to lifting weights. When you work a muscle group using weights you're actually tearing the muscles. Depending on the person it takes 1-2 days for them to rebuild which is what makes them grow and become stronger. If you try to work them every day they will never have time to recover. This is why most people say they are most soar the 2nd day after working out.
Actually its not completely untrue...Your body recovers at an alarming rate. But if you condition it to rest every 1-2 days, then it will need that rest. Do athletes (at all levels) only practice 3 days a week? Plus doing those old style body building lifts where you work 1 body part one day and the next day another body part for certain reps/sets is a complete waste of time. I am only concerned about functional/useful strength. The body is meant to be put in motion.

And Nam, your diet doesnt look too bad, but maybe its a little too light in terms of calories and macronutrients...If it was me (this is what I have found works best with me and people I train and council from time to time), I would cut the protein shake and have a spinach salad, with maybe some tuna, or chicken breast, with some olive oil (dont go too heavy, its good for you but is high in calories and fat) and vinegar. Maybe get rid of the toast and add some steamed veggies or a salad, do the same with the rice. And instead of the yogurt at night, maybe have an apple with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter or some almonds.

Last edited by FantasticVSDoom; 06-30-06 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-30-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been working out for a long time and the best advice I can give is:

Never workout the same muscle group the following day....ever. It doesn't matter if you're going for bulk, tone, etc..... just don't do it.

It's ok to workout the same muscle group more than once a week as long as you always do less sets & reps on the second go around.

Trust me, it works.

Now a little more advanced info - your biceps are the smallest muscle, you really should only work them once a week. Triceps are a big part of your arm and I myself use to work them out twice a week with the same reps and sets (at the time, I was doing chest and triceps twice a week to improve my strength on the flat bench). Also, for your biceps, I noticed I got a lot stronger by working them hard once a week - a lot stronger. Even for tone (especially for tone) only work them once a week.

You'll hear a ton of advice on the issue but what I told you really worked for me and is a good approach and as always - definitely stick with what your most comfortable with.

Good luck!!!
Old 07-04-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok guys..its only been 5 days but I've noticed a big improvment already. I definetly don't want bulk because it will hamper my running and cycling. Like I said I'm oddly built in that I have slender ripped legs, thin muscular arms, and a little gut. So I've been doing the following routine:

Day 1: 10 Mins cardio, Legs (quads, hammies, calf, les press), then more cardio to cool down

Day 2: 10 Mins cardio, Chest/Back (various presses), then more carido to cool down

Day 3: 10 Mins cardio, Arms (bicep and tricep), then more cardio to cool down

Also, just to give an idea of my strength, I

bench 140lbs x10
bicep curls 80lbs x10
tricep press 125lbs x10
calf press 125lbs x10
leg extension 140lbs x10

I've also taken some of the diet advice (above) and have been eating apples with peanut butter for snacks, and tryig to cut out even more cards and adding turkey, etc

I despise most veggies and tuna
Old 07-05-06, 02:46 AM
CWB

10 repetitions is probably too few.

If you are looking for tone and not strength or bulk you should do 15 repetitions of a weight that you can JUST perform for 15 reps. This weight may be different for the second or third sets. For strength it is 10 reps and for body-building bulk much less (but with bigger weights, of course).

For any given set and weight, if you have pushed 17 reps twice consecutively then move up to the next weight. This helps measure progress and keep the exercise relevant.