Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Whats the fascination with a Sidekick??

Old 06-30-06, 06:16 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Latham, NY
Posts: 674
Whats the fascination with a Sidekick??

T-Mobile Sidekick, that is...not a sidekick like Robin, Tonto, or otherwise...

But, seriously....I see kids in the mall with them, I see people in their 20's with them....are they really that great? Seems to me if T-Mobile didn't have this to offer, what would they have over another company??

And everyone that has one, do you have the expensive data plan for it....or do you use it basically as a text-messenger??
Michael Sheridan is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 06:56 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: On the banks of the Red Cedar
Posts: 9,867
Sorry, I was coming to comment on Robin, Tonto, etc.

Nothing to add about phones.
jonw9 is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 07:36 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 32,509
I want one just to text with my dawg, Snoop.


Apparently, I have nothing either.
TomOpus is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 08:51 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
McHawkson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: America Empire
Posts: 14,752
My work bought Sidekick for me to use. Since I'm hearing impaired, the Sidekick with AIM & Yahoo messenger is only way for them to communicate with me while I'm in the warehouse.

Sidekick also has a special software that allow me to connect the Relay Service. So that way I can "call" my bosses about job. AIM also provide Relay Service, too.
McHawkson is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 08:51 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Randy Miller III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 4,706
http://www.evanwashere.com/StolenSidekick/
Randy Miller III is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 09:53 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Posts: 3,068
Originally Posted by McHawkson
My work bought Sidekick for me to use. Since I'm hearing impaired, the Sidekick with AIM & Yahoo messenger is only way for them to communicate with me while I'm in the warehouse.

Sidekick also has a special software that allow me to connect the Relay Service. So that way I can "call" my bosses about job. AIM also provide Relay Service, too.
I have a friend who is hearing impaired and the sidekick makes communication much easier for him.
Birrman54 is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 11:11 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,439
'cause. yr sidekick is yr bud-e, alwys there 4 u even wen dum posr frnds dump u [snif].

(nothin')

-Gunshy
Gunshy is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 11:23 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,207
You think it is bad here, go to europe. I loathe them because they are the hipster version of the Crackberry. It is kind of like a training tool for the Crackberry.

-p
NotThatGuy is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 11:24 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,865
aside from the texting I really don't see the popularity of the sidekick. It's super slow for browsing (the Sidekick 2 only has GPRS which is really really slow, the Sidekick 3 has Edge though so it's more usable) and it so huge it just doesn't appeal to me. There are plenty of qwerty phones out there that aren't as insanely huge.
Cardiff Giant11 is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 11:24 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
McHawkson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: America Empire
Posts: 14,752
Originally Posted by Birrman54
I have a friend who is hearing impaired and the sidekick makes communication much easier for him.
There's large hearing impaired people using Sidekick.
McHawkson is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 11:52 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 6,841
I have one. First the "expensive" data plan? It's $20 for unlimited IM, surfing and text. That is cheaper than most other plans. I also have a Treo 650 (work) and the keys on the SK are much better and easier to type on.

I like it, and dont want to give it up, but it is a "big" phone.
Chrisedge is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 12:25 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
xmiyux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: WV
Posts: 9,911
Originally Posted by McHawkson
There's large hearing impaired people using Sidekick.
What does their weight have to do with anything?
xmiyux is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 12:37 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
There are plenty of qwerty phones out there that aren't as insanely huge.
What would you recommend?

I'm looking to upgrade my original Sidekick, and I'm looking for options (w/fast surfing, smaller phone). And also with a reasonable data plan -- as mentioned, I'm currently paying $20/month for unlimited. Lots of the others that I see are insane.
bboisvert is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 01:49 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 56,636
Originally Posted by bboisvert
What would you recommend?

I'm looking to upgrade my original Sidekick, and I'm looking for options (w/fast surfing, smaller phone). And also with a reasonable data plan -- as mentioned, I'm currently paying $20/month for unlimited. Lots of the others that I see are insane.

I have this phone I love it. I've been wanting a Sidekick but I didn't want to leave Verizon. This has the QWERTY keyboard and lotsa nice features. Is it perfect? No. But it's sill a cool phone. Will you find people bitching about this on the Net? Yes. But hey, who doesnt' bitch on the Net...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-30-06 at 05:52 PM.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 05:29 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,865
Originally Posted by bboisvert
What would you recommend?

I'm looking to upgrade my original Sidekick, and I'm looking for options (w/fast surfing, smaller phone). And also with a reasonable data plan -- as mentioned, I'm currently paying $20/month for unlimited. Lots of the others that I see are insane.
What provider are you using, T-Mobile?
Cardiff Giant11 is offline  
Old 06-30-06, 06:41 PM
  #16  
Li
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 978
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I have this phone I love it. I've been wanting a Sidekick but I didn't want to leave Verizon. This has the QWERTY keyboard and lotsa nice features. Is it perfect? No. But it's sill a cool phone. Will you find people bitching about this on the Net? Yes. But hey, who doesnt' bitch on the Net...
I have the LG 9800 as well and it's a great phone. It's much smaller than a sidekick and doesn't feel awkward pressed against your face.
Li is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.