Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Another DisneyWorld Death: 06-29-06 edition

Old 06-29-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Another DisneyWorld Death: 06-29-06 edition

CNN Breaking News:
12-year-old boy dies on Disney's Rock'n'Roller coaster at Disney-MGM studios in Orlando, Florida, officials tell CNN.

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- A 12-year-old boy died on a roller coaster at Disney-MGM Studios in Orlando, Florida, on Thursday, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

Disney could not be reached for comment, and few details were available.

The boy was unresponsive in his seat at the end of the Rock 'N' Roller coaster ride, said Terry McElroy of the Florida Department of Agriculture, which regulates the industry.

The boy was given CPR and taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Authorities don't know at this time if he was riding by himself or with family members.

The incident occurred at 11:30 a.m. Disney reported the accident to Florida police at 1 p.m.

Disney shut down the ride and an inspector was on site to observe the Disney investigation. The Orange County Sheriff's Office is conducting an investigation as well.

Disney boasts of the ride on its Web site, "Zoom from 0-60 mph with the force of a supersonic F-14, take in high-speed loops and turns synchronized to a specially recorded Aerosmith soundtrack and zip through Tinseltown in the biggest, loudest limo you've ever seen."

One month ago, another child died on the Disney ride "Mission Space" at the Epcot Center.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 06-29-06 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-29-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

gosh... they might call all of Disney Scary zone
Old 06-29-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
specially recorded Aerosmith soundtrack
Probable cause right there
Old 06-29-06, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- A 12-year-old boy died on a roller coaster at Disney-MGM Studios in Orlando, Florida, on Thursday, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.
What? Orange County, FLA where Disney World is?? Kinda coincedence that Disneyland is located in Orange County, CA.
Old 06-29-06, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess Disney needs to reevalute some of their newly planned attractions like Mission: Fallujah and Steve Irwin's "Swimming With Crocs."
Old 06-29-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
Probable cause right there
That should not be funny, but
Old 06-29-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bet anyone in this thread $1,000,000 funbucks that the kid had a pre-existing health condition that was a direct result of his death.
Old 06-29-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DisneyWorld was not built for dead children, but for the dead child in *all* of us.

Last edited by adamblast; 06-29-06 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-29-06, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Morf
I bet anyone in this thread $1,000,000 funbucks that the kid had a pre-existing health condition that was a direct result of his death.
Yeah, enough of this slander against my company. The lawyers will be contacting you (not Morf) soon.

Chris
Old 06-29-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not only slander against your company, it's slander against your dating hotspot!
Old 06-29-06, 04:04 PM

Disney is rough on the kiddies, maybe they should go to Six Flags.
Old 06-29-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Is that not how is usually turns out?
Old 06-29-06, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
It's not only slander against your company, it's slander against your dating hotspot!
Oh dear! Now I'm worried.

If I take my date to DisneyWorld is she going to die?

Chris
Old 06-29-06, 04:20 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

So far, the Disney Park danger index is:

Matterhorn - 2
People Mover - 2
Big Thunder Mountain - 1
Mission Space - 2
Rock 'n' Rollercoaster - 1
Rivers of America - 1 (although two more actually died in the actual river, it was not related to the ride)

I'm not counting the monorail death since the guy wasn't a passenger. Also, the Matterhorn and People Mover deaths were due to passenger negligence.
Old 06-29-06, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by General Zod
Is that not how is usually turns out?
Uh, yeah. Hence my comment.
Old 06-29-06, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by DRG
So far, the Disney Park danger index is:

Matterhorn - 2
People Mover - 2
Big Thunder Mountain - 1
Mission Space - 2
Rock 'n' Rollercoaster - 1
Rivers of America - 1 (although two more actually died in the actual river, it was not related to the ride)

I'm not counting the monorail death since the guy wasn't a passenger. Also, the Matterhorn and People Mover deaths were due to passenger negligence.
So which of these was determined to be the fault of Disney?
Old 06-29-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You mean the official currency of Numanoidia?
Old 06-29-06, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DRG
Also, the Matterhorn and People Mover deaths were due to passenger negligence.
One thing about Matterhorn ride is that they used a simple seat belt, you can easily unbuckle it during the ride. I haven't ride Matterhorn for several years and I don't know if they upgrade it.
Old 06-29-06, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by McHawkson
One thing about Matterhorn ride is that they used a simple seat belt, you can easily unbuckle it during the ride. I haven't ride Matterhorn for several years and I don't know if they upgrade it.

No, it's still the same.

Chris
Old 06-29-06, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by General Zod
So which of these was determined to be the fault of Disney?
Big Thunder and the River Boat were determined to be Disney's fault.

Chris
Old 06-29-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

More of the story (from The Drudge Report):

ORLANDO -- A 12-year-old died today after riding the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster at Disney-MGM Studios theme park, going limp near the end of the ride as he sat next to his mother, officials said this afternoon.

His father, riding behind his son with the boy's 7-year-old brother, noticed the boy's condition and immediately began CPR when the coaster stopped, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office. The family was on vacation to Florida from Fort Campbell, Ky., where the father serves in the military.

A 911 call at 11:21 a.m. said the boy was unconscious and not breathing after the ride. Reedy Creek Fire Rescue, which responds to emergency calls at Walt Disney World, noted in its 911 call report that there was no defibrillator available before rescue workers arrived about 11:26 a.m.

The boy, identified this afternoon as Michael Russell, was taken to Celebration Hospital, where he was officially declared dead.

Disney World officials said they closed the roller coaster "pending an investigation," but added that an "initial review of the attraction shows the ride was operating normally." It is not known where the coaster will reopen.

"We offer the family our deepest sympathies," Disney said in a statement at 2:46 p.m. "A company representative is with them providing assistance."

According to information released at a news conference this afternoon, the boy's parents said Michael Russell was in good health and had not complained about being sick before the ride. Byron and Charlotte Russell and sons, Michael and 7-year-old Houston, had checked out of their Disney hotel this morning before heading to MGM.

According to state records reviewed by the Orlando Sentinel, this would be the seventh person whose death is associated with Disney attractions since the Christmas season of 2004. The most recent was in April, when Hiltrud Blumel, a 49-year-old German woman, died after riding Epcot's Mission: Space simulator ride.

The coaster, known for its fast start and pulsating Aerosmith soundtrack, is the second-fastest ride at Disney, with a top speed of 57 mph. According to the Disney Web site, "This attraction pulls between 4 and 5 big, fat, monster Gs. Space shuttle astronauts, by comparison, experience 3 Gs at liftoff.''

The indoor ride, which opened in 1999, catapults people from zero-to-its-top-speed in 2.8 seconds, then takes them through a make-believe night in Southern California in a 24-passenger stretch limo.

The Russell family were riding together in one of the coaster's six cars.

The Rock 'n' Roller Coaster has the tallest height requirement in Disney's four parks -- tied with Animal Kingdom Primeval Whirl. (There is a 52 inch height requirement to drive at the Magic Kingdom's Indy Speedway, but you can be any height on that to be a passenger.

The fastest ride at Disney is Epcot's Test Track, which can reach a speed of 65 mph.

Visitors to Disney-MGM Studios this afternoon said they were unaware of the death. A sign posted at the front of the park noted that the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster was closed, but did not explain why.

Disney workers at the ride entrance were telling people they did not know why the ride was closed or that it involved technical difficulties.

Now I'm not sure if it deserves its own thread or whatnot (however, that's up to YOU, the 'Otter' individual), but there was a poll I recently spotted that asks the following question:

Do you worry about safety when you are at the amusement park?

1. Yes

2. No

3. I don't go to amusement parks

How would you vote?

I voted yes, mainly because I believe with the heightened thrill, there is a heightened risk.

It's like, if I go on, let's say..."The Death Twirl from Hell", and meet my end, I can't help but think I'd have no one to blame but myself.

YTRCODMMV*

(*Your Thrill-Ride Chance of Demise Mileage May Vary)

-Paul

Last edited by The Edit King; 06-29-06 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-29-06, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by McHawkson
I've come close to losing an arm or smacking my head against a wall because I reach out to grab something off the tracks (most times it's a hat that I see). I always yank my hand (or head) back just before impact.
Old 06-29-06, 05:26 PM

Coincidence!, I dont think so
Old 06-29-06, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

It's only a matter of time until someone brings their friend weekend at Bernies style to the park and then claims he died during the "it's a small world" ride.
Old 06-29-06, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Celebration Hospital"????

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.