Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

road trip to chicago today. where to park for best 1 day "lil bit of everything"

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

road trip to chicago today. where to park for best 1 day "lil bit of everything"

Old 06-29-06, 05:54 AM

taking a road trip to chicago today. my cousin just moved to detroit and i'm visiting and we always wanted to see chicago. We plan on drving through the city a bit then ending up at 1 particular point to park, then explore, then leave about 7-8 hours later. We have no particular agenda, just to visit and see some cool stuff and eat some famous local food.

So my question is where should we park to get a bit of everything?

I would compare this to parking near times square in nyc.
Old 06-29-06, 06:29 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

for $12 you can park in the observatory parking lot (or shedd aquarium parking lot). Thats not a terrible price and there are always cabs, water taxis and you can catch a bus if needed. Every cab driver knows where it is too so when you need to get back you dont have to draw a map. Its right downtown and you can see lots of things.
Old 06-29-06, 06:29 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

park there, take a water taxi to navy pier. You get a great view of the city from the water.
Old 06-29-06, 06:36 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

OR for a more centrallzied location to park--park AT navy pier for about $27.
Old 06-29-06, 06:36 AM

The Hancock Observatory

875 N. Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611

is this what you are talking about. seems like a good location to me.

is this where they are looking out from in ferris buellers day off?

Last edited by vwbeetlvr; 06-29-06 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-29-06, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1. Avoid Navy Pier, it's a horrible tourist trap.
2. Park in Millenium Park Garage (just off of Michigan Ave).
3. Go see Millenium and Grant Parks. Definitely go see the Art Institute if you're an art museum kinda guy.
4. Walk over the Michigan Ave. Bridge and explore the Mag Mile. Or, hop on a water taxi right next to the Wrigley Building and take it down the river to Madison Street.
5. Not sure what you mean by the "famous food", Chicago's all about brats, pizza and hot dogs. If you want a great hot dog, hit Portillos or Gold Coast Dogs.
6. After lunch, go get your car, drive up Lakeshore Drive a little way to Recreation Drive. This will give you a chance to see the lakefront. Park on Recreation for a little while and walk around the lakefront.
7. Drive back down to park at 900 North Michigan. Either go shopping on the Mag Mile or explore the Gold Coast (the residential neighgborhood around there). Avoid the Hancock Observatory, hit the Signature room for a drink: it's free and has the same view.
8. Dinner wherever, but get reservations. www.metromix.com

Keep in mind that parking isn't going to be cheap, traffic will be heavy and Chicago has a really annoying habit of closing streets downtown during the summer. I don't think you can "do" Chicago in 8 hours. Not to discourage you, but this idea could turn out to be a real pain in the ass. It's a big city and not easy to get in and out of.
Old 06-29-06, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I agree with this suggestion. The Grant Park North garage is in essentially the same location. They may be interconnected.

Chicago, however, is not all about brats.
Old 06-29-06, 07:54 AM

Hiro knows what he's talking about.

Everyone has their favorite, but my favorite deep dish pizza place in Chicago is Exchequer's at Wabash and Adams. The also have lots of other great food besides pizza, if you're not into that. If you park at Millenium, it's right by there. It's also one of Roger Ebert's favorite pizza places.
Old 06-29-06, 08:58 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by vwbeetlvr
The Hancock Observatory

875 N. Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611

is this what you are talking about. seems like a good location to me.

is this where they are looking out from in ferris buellers day off?
Nope. Parking in there can be upwards of $30 (but yes thats where they look down on the city--MUCH better view than the Sears tower)

The 'Adler Planetarium' is what I meant to say. NOT the hancock observatory. Its right near the Shedd Aquarium. Its on the south end of the downtown interests--Its considered the 'museum campus'--all the museums are over there. Parking is $12 and easier to get to without too much traffic and stuff blocking the streets.
Old 06-29-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I also agree with this. My wife and I discovered (by accident) that this is one of the most convenient and reasonable places to park if you want to just roam around downtown for a while.
Old 06-29-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I third the Millenium Park Garage. Just remember where you parked!

Have fun - it's a BEAUTIFUL day compared to the rest of this week.

And a lil bit of everything is impossible in a day. Or a lifetime for that matter.
Old 06-29-06, 04:30 PM

sitting in exchequers right now waiting for our meat pizza. will report later!
Old 06-30-06, 02:29 PM

ok heres how the day went down. got to chicago around 2:30 and couldn't park at the observatory cuz we stopped for fireworks in indiana. so had to park at the erie-ohio parking garage. Walked all the way down michigan to the millenium park. saw the jelly bean and sat at the ampetheatre to rest a bit. then we went to exchequers and ordered the meat deep dish pizza. first bite was heaven and it tasted great after that. had 2 slices left and gave them to a homeless man cuz we went into the art institute mueseum and walked around for about 30 minutes. after that we walked back to the observatory and stayed there about 15 minutes. nice view. then we took a cab to the river and we boarded the 2 hour sunset tour of chicago and took lots of pictures. then we left. thanks for all of the suggestions.
Old 06-30-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for closure. Will you be posting pics?
Old 06-30-06, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by vwbeetlvr
ok heres how the day went down. got to chicago around 2:30 and couldn't park at the observatory cuz we stopped for fireworks in indiana. so had to park at the erie-ohio parking garage. Walked all the way down michigan to the millenium park. saw the jelly bean and sat at the ampetheatre to rest a bit. then we went to exchequers and ordered the meat deep dish pizza. first bite was heaven and it tasted great after that. had 2 slices left and gave them to a homeless man cuz we went into the art institute mueseum and walked around for about 30 minutes. after that we walked back to the observatory and stayed there about 15 minutes. nice view. then we took a cab to the river and we boarded the 2 hour sunset tour of chicago and took lots of pictures. then we left. thanks for all of the suggestions.
Sounds like a great day! My favorites from the Art Institute's collection:

Come back soon.
Old 06-30-06, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Watch Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but don't use the Valet parking.
Old 06-30-06, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime
Watch Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but don't use the Valet parking.
He's back already.