Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you ever returned food to the grocery store (would you?)?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 06-27-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I'm home sick (bronchitis and walking pneumonia, and yes, it does suck, thanks for your anticipated concern ), and I just got a yogurt out of the fridge for lunch, as I'm tired of soup. It's a Kroger's brand yogurt, and as I'm peeling back the little foil lid (side note: why the little foil lid inside the hard plastic lid? Is it supposed to keep it fresh, or prevent tampering, or what?), I read this on the lid:

"Kroger
Quality Guaranteed
If you are not completely satisfied with this product, return it for a refund or replacment. Comments or questions? 800-632-6900 www.Kroger.com"

I'm reading this because I'm bored, and it occurs to me to wonder exactly HOW bad would it have to be for me to return a yogurt that probably cost 40 cents, for "refund or replacement"? Seems like a lot of trouble for 40 cents! Then I try to remember, have I returned food to the store?

I remember a few times, opening meat that was supposed to be fresh, and it was SO nasty that I returned it (I actually stopped buying meat at one Albertsons in Seattle because this happened three meat purchases in a row... the third purchase, it was the day they wrapped it, and I opened it that night, and it was RANK), but those were because meat is expensive, I wasn't just going to toss it. I also remember when I was a teenager, my mom sent me back to the local store because the artichoke had a huge WORM, like a maggot, in the inner leaves. The store gave me another artichoke, apologized, I take it home and my mom unwraps it and finds ANOTHER huge worm.... needless to say, that one went back and I was done with artichokes for the time being... I still can't enjoy artichokes the same way anymore.

Can't remember any other time, for now... so I thought I'd ask Otter? Anyone here had to take something back to the grocery store (because it was bad/spoiled/nasty), and why?

Old 06-27-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

hell yes. done it a few times.
Old 06-27-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless it's something really disgusting like you open up an item of food and 10 millipedes come crawling out, I wouldn't bother. I used to work customer service at a closeout store that had a food dept, and cheap old ladies would come up to me with empty cans of 35 cent soup saying "This soup didn't taste good, I want a refund." If it didn't taste good, then why did you eat the whole thing? Old bat.
Old 06-27-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought some shrimp from a local grocer last year and when I got them home and opened up the bag they smelled like ammonia. I took back the shrimp and was issued a refund. I'm just mad because the asshat putting them into the bag behind the seafood counter had to have known by the smell it was bad and continued to prepare them for me to take home anyway.......what an asshole.
Old 06-27-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, I took back some chicken that smelled (and was about a week out of date) and got a new package. The nice thing was that the manager came back with me to make sure there weren't any other old packages back there.
Old 06-27-06, 03:35 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Ive been walking out the door and noticed severely damaged merchandise and brought it right back. Only when close to the store. Another time I open my new deoderant to see that it had been used. I just scraped a good layer off of it with a paper towel and used it anyway--cant blame homeless guys for wanting to smell fresh.
Old 06-27-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Done it 3x..

I returned a pound of flour and a saucepan that I thought I might need, but ended up not using. Also, returned a thing of pitas because they were moldy.
Old 06-27-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I took some meat back to the store that was outdated, but I did not notice it when I bought it. And I took back the store brand of shredded cheese one time when it wasn't expired, but it was moldy in the package. Other times, when I have a problem with a product, I usually just call the company who packages it to get coupons to replace the product. Some companies will give you coupons even if you call up and compliment their products.
Old 06-27-06, 03:57 PM

Here in CA, at Ralph's they have the 100% satisfaction guarantee.

As part of a contract law class I once took, a friend did a class project to prove that guarantee was an irrevocable offer for contract. To prove it, he bought a max pack of good steaks (about $25) and a half gallon of ice cream (about $5). Cooked and ate the steaks, and ate about 75% of the ice cream.

Went back to Ralphs and asked the manager for his money back since he said the steaks weren't that great and the ice cream wasn't as good as he thought it would be. The manager said too bad cause you ate it. My friend said not it isn't too bad cause I'm not 100% satisfied, they went back and forth for about 10 minutes while my friend was quoting common law contracts principles, eventually the manager gave him his $30 or so back. It was great since the student tape recorded the entire thing and played it for our class! Funny as hell.
Old 06-27-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by illini420

As part of a contract law class I once took, a friend did a class project to prove that guarantee was an irrevocable offer for contract. To prove it, he bought a max pack of good steaks (about $25) and a half gallon of ice cream (about $5). Cooked and ate the steaks, and ate about 75% of the ice cream.

Went back to Ralphs and asked the manager for his money back since he said the steaks weren't that great and the ice cream wasn't as good as he thought it would be. The manager said too bad cause you ate it. My friend said not it isn't too bad cause I'm not 100% satisfied, they went back and forth for about 10 minutes while my friend was quoting common law contracts principles, eventually the manager gave him his $30 or so back. It was great since the student tape recorded the entire thing and played it for our class! Funny as hell.
Wow your friend really needs to get his ass kicked.
Old 06-27-06, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

he should have had him agree to the refund and then told him, no thanks, i was just trying to prove a point and actually enjoyed the steaks.

i SHOULD have returned some king crab legs to Wegmans a few weeks ago. they were RANK the day we bought them but we dont live that close to wegmans so we ate the $20 (or didnt eat it for theat matter).
Old 06-27-06, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Wow your friend really needs to get his ass kicked.
Definitely, wasn't really a good friend, more like just a classmate.
I remember he actually typed a transcript of the recording too, I may have a copy in my files somewhere.
Old 06-27-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The only times we ever returned anything was when we bought something we didn't need and hadn't opened it. It's been years since that happened; I don't even remember the last time, but I'm sure it did once or twice. I don't think it was even something perishable: maybe the wrong brand of coffee or something.
Old 06-27-06, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Did the manager tell him he was going to kick 100 % of his ass? I hope so.
Old 06-27-06, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Vibiana
Did the manager tell him he was going to kick 100 % of his ass? I hope so.
That would have been sweet. It's a 100% guaranteed ass kicking!

Personally, I've returned bread one time to a grocery store because it got moldy around 4 days before the date on it. Normally I wouldn't bother for a $2 loaf of bread but I remember being really pissed about it for some reason. haha.
Old 06-27-06, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
a few times after I ate it
Old 06-27-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought shrimp and when I got it home it stunk to holy hell. Brought it back for a refund
Old 06-27-06, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If this is how they train them, it's no wonder lawyers turn out the way they do.
Old 06-27-06, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I returned a gallon of Tropicana OJ once (It was GREEN and mildew-y! Gross!) but only because I had bought it at the corner shop next door. I would not have bothered taking it back to the grocery store, it's too far out of my way.

Last edited by Pressplay; 06-27-06 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-27-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
I have returned bad fruit and meat.

I also have a habit of looking at the expiration dates - it's AMAZING that stuff 2-4 weeks expired is on the shelf (like milk and fresh yogurt!). I often point it out to the store - and sometimes they look pissed, other times they remove it quickly.

I'm less picky on staples, I mean 2-4 weeks on nuts or chips - who cares. But I once saw some nuts (almonds?) that were THREE YEARS past their expiration date and still on the shelf. - The store manager and I opened them just out of curiosity and sure enough they stank to high heaven.
Old 06-27-06, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shoppingbear
So, I'm home sick (bronchitis and walking pneumonia, and yes, it does suck, thanks for your anticipated concern ), and I just got a yogurt out of the fridge for lunch, as I'm tired of soup. It's a Kroger's brand yogurt, and as I'm peeling back the little foil lid (side note: why the little foil lid inside the hard plastic lid? Is it supposed to keep it fresh, or prevent tampering, or what?), I read this on the lid:

"Kroger
Quality Guaranteed
If you are not completely satisfied with this product, return it for a refund or replacment. Comments or questions? 800-632-6900 www.Kroger.com"

I'm reading this because I'm bored, and it occurs to me to wonder exactly HOW bad would it have to be for me to return a yogurt that probably cost 40 cents, for "refund or replacement"? Seems like a lot of trouble for 40 cents! Then I try to remember, have I returned food to the store?

I remember a few times, opening meat that was supposed to be fresh, and it was SO nasty that I returned it (I actually stopped buying meat at one Albertsons in Seattle because this happened three meat purchases in a row... the third purchase, it was the day they wrapped it, and I opened it that night, and it was RANK), but those were because meat is expensive, I wasn't just going to toss it. I also remember when I was a teenager, my mom sent me back to the local store because the artichoke had a huge WORM, like a maggot, in the inner leaves. The store gave me another artichoke, apologized, I take it home and my mom unwraps it and finds ANOTHER huge worm.... needless to say, that one went back and I was done with artichokes for the time being... I still can't enjoy artichokes the same way anymore.

Can't remember any other time, for now... so I thought I'd ask Otter? Anyone here had to take something back to the grocery store (because it was bad/spoiled/nasty), and why?

wait, you wouldn't return food to the grocery store and call yourself a Shoppingbear? pffft
Old 06-27-06, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I returned a container of frozen sorbet once- opened it and it tasted gross.
Old 06-27-06, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I returned some rotten chicken to a terrible supermarket in Brooklyn years ago. A couple of years later I bought some half-and-half there (after swearing the place off for a long time) and it was CRAZY rotten. I returned it in a huff. The manager gave me all kinds of attitude when I said that it wasn't the first time it had happened. He was trying to make me out to be a big baby. I dared him to smell the half and half. He did and instantly almost puked. I got my money back.
Old 06-27-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I returned some olives that tasted like gasoline once. They didn't give me a problem at all. They also didn't care why I was returning it.
Old 06-27-06, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I brought back a bottle of Kaluha once that was missing the safety seal.

I purchased a bottle of Hanger One (kick ass vodka) that was nearly explosive. The cork shot off it when I took the foil off. That was not supposed to happen. I didn't have the receipt, so I just poured it down the drain.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.