Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

My cousin's pregnant wife got hit by a drunk driver yesterday...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-18-06, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My cousin's wife was 32-weeks (a little over 7 months) along in her pregnancy yesterday when she was broadsided by a drunk driver.

My cousin was in his truck just ahead of her and she had their other three kids with her in the car. He saw the whole thing in the rear view mirror.

Long story short, the kids are fine, but she was rushed to the hospital where the baby was taken 8 weeks early and placed in NICU. She was 4 lbs. 2 oz. and cried when she was born so that was a good sign. The placenta was torn away from the uterus, so they had to move quickly.

Luckily, her OB/GYN was a few cars behind her (it's a small town) and was able to assist at the scene and at the hospital.

The doctor told the officers to test the other driver and she tested positive for alcohol and drugs, so she was drunk and high at the time. Not to mention driving on a suspended license and uninsured. She was arrested at the scene and taken to the County Jail.

My cousin's wife is in the hospital with neck, shoulder and back pain and recovering from her C-section.

We have alot of family in that area, and my cousin is getting a lot of help and moral support, but it's going to be a strain with his work (self-employed contruction and landscaping) due to the busy summer season.

We are all shocked at these developments but doing what we can individually.

What a way to spend your Father's Day.

They came down to visit my other cousin (his sister) in Austin this past Christmas and we saw them then and they announced that they were due in August. We were excited for them.

Our prayers are with them and now we wait.

It's just that the people that are adversely affected by this are the victims, not the drunk drivers.

I hope the judge throws the book at her.

I hope that my anger passes.

Thanks for listening to the rant.
Old 06-18-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
- Drunk Driver

-Mother

-Baby
Old 06-18-06, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My thoughts are with you and your family. I also hope that the drunk driver gets a stiff sentence.
Old 06-18-06, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

holy mother of god.

my prayers are with you and your family.
Old 06-18-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I also hope that the drunk driver gets a stiff sentence.
Something like this is inexcuseable. I hope the driver never tastes freedom again.
Old 06-18-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah. That's sad. Glad that the baby is OK, even it is was a premie.
Old 06-18-06, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm so sorry! I will keep the family and new baby in my thoughts and prayers. I had my second baby almost a month early and he turned out just fine, you'd be surprised at how well they can do. I hope everyone is going to be ok....

And I hope the driver never, ever sees the light of day again. People like that need to be taken out back and just shot in the head.
Old 06-18-06, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My god I'm so sorry. It's a terrible tragedy these things still happen. How inconsiderate and stupid can one human being be?
Old 06-18-06, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I freaking hate drunk drivers.....they rarely get a harsh enough sentence.

I hope the baby and your cousin's wife come out ok.

-p
Old 06-19-06, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That is tough to hear. Hope things improve.

It is hard for people to forgive these things.

Wish more people understood how dangerous the roads really are. It is truly amazing how many die every year on the roads.
Old 06-19-06, 12:11 AM
Banned

Goldberg,

My thoughts are with your entire family. You take care of them all because they seriously need you right now.

Honestly, it sounds like an absolutely blessed father's day to me.
Old 06-19-06, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Add me to the list of people who hope that this story has a happy ending for you and your cousin's family. From what you've told us, it seems that it's "so far, so good" -- let's hope that keeps up!
Old 06-19-06, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Nazgul
- Drunk Driver

-Mother

-Baby

Amen brother.
Old 06-19-06, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

At this point we only know that the other driver had some alcohol, we don't know whether or not she was drunk. It was the combination of drugs / alcohol that made her dangerous.

As for being at 32 weeks, that's obviously not good but could be worse, this could have happened a month or so ago.

I wish her luck and I hope the judge throws the proverbial book at the driver.
Old 06-19-06, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

sorry to hear about this.

i hope justice will put the driver away.
Old 06-19-06, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope your family has a quick and full recovery and that justice is swift. Please know they are in our thoughts.
Old 06-19-06, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Wow. I'm glad everyone is ok and it is my hope that the baby makes it. I'm sure she will.

Now, and let me word this carefully, because everyone has survived the family needs to make sure they make this Drunk driver's life a living hell in terms of the LAW. But I don't say that you should do this OUT OF REVENGE.

I just that I have a feeling that because no one died...thank God...she could get off easy. You know what I mean? I could be wrong but that's the first thing that came to my mind.
Old 06-19-06, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

She may get off via the law, but my gosh they have a lawsuit. Not that you can bleed blood from a turnip, but her life can be made hell.
Old 06-19-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sorry to hear it. Unfortunately you hear of this thing all too often. When are people going to learn? Hope the baby will be perfectly healthy.
Old 06-19-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

another reason why these truth commercial people should do something on drinking
Old 06-19-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Of course, there's always forgiveness.
Old 06-19-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My son was born 7 weeks early and weighed exactly the same weight (4 lbs 2oz). Spent a month in the nicu, but came out with flying colors and is doing awesome. He's now 16 months, is 23lbs and 32". Just started walking this week after a bit of physical therapy for hypotonia, but he's doing awesome.

I hope his story helps you a tiny bit in what has happened. As Kittydreamer said, kids are resilant.

My prayers go out to you and your family.
Old 06-19-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Goldberg74, glad to hear that everyone seems to be doing ok.

as for the rest of y'all, the drunk driver should be shot in the head? never see the light of day? whew, must be tough going about your day when everyone can see what you're doing, seeing as the walls of your house are made of glass.

Not saying that everyone here has driven with alcohol in their systems, but I supect many have. And I am damn sure that 99% of us have done stupid and irresponsible shit, and almost that many have done that stupid and irresponsible shit behind the wheel of a car. I'm not condoning drunk driving by any means (and we don't even know if this driver was drunk), but let's apply a little realism here, 'kay?
Old 06-19-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what does "tested positive for drugs" mean? that's a pretty wide net, and i'm unaware of any roadside drug testing kits.

I'm awfully sorry this happened, but it seems to me that people get a bit carried away whenever alcohol is mentioned in relation to any accident. I'm glad everyone is okay, and i'm sure the baby will come out fine.
Old 06-19-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Luckily, her OB/GYN was a few cars behind her (it's a small town) and was able to assist at the scene and at the hospital.
Damn, that was a unbelievable stroke of good luck. Hopefully, everything will keep going in this direction.

Originally Posted by Heat
I wish her luck and I hope the judge throws the proverbial book at the driver.
I hope he throws the judge literally throws a book at her. From the roof of the courthouse.

Unfortunately, I doubt she'll get any real time. Even when there is a death, drunk drivers with no record often get only a year or two.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.