Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Colo. Court Sets 15 (Female) as a Marrying Age (He's 38)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 06-16-06, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...adlines-nation

From the Associated Press
June 16, 2006

DENVER A 15-year-old girl can enter into a common-law marriage in Colorado, and younger girls and boys possibly can too, a state appeals court ruled Thursday.

While the three-judge panel stopped short of setting a specific minimum age for such marriages, it said they could be legal for girls at 12 and boys at 14 under English common law, which Colorado recognizes.

Senate President Joan Fitz-Gerald said she was appalled by the ruling and said lawmakers need to look at the issue next year when the Legislature reconvenes.

"That's a child. You're taking advantage of an undeveloped person, putting them in a situation that's for life. That's something we need to take a look at," the Democrat said.

The ruling overturned a lower court judge's decision that a girl, now older than 18, was too young to marry at 15. The panel said that there was no clear legislative or statutory guidance on common-law marriages, and that Colorado courts have not determined an age of consent.

For traditional ceremonial marriage, Colorado law sets the minimum age at 18, or 16 with parental or judicial approval.

Colorado is one of 10 states, plus the District of Columbia, that recognize common-law marriage, which is based on English law dating back hundreds of years.

"It appears that Colorado has adopted the common-law age of consent for marriage as 14 for a male and 12 for a female, which existed under English common law," the ruling said. "Nevertheless, we need only hold here that a 15-year-old female may enter into a valid common-law marriage."

Thursday's ruling found that the girl was old enough to marry, but it did not conclude whether she and Willis Rouse, 38, have a valid marriage.

Chris
Old 06-16-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"That's a child. You're taking advantage of an undeveloped person, putting them in a situation that's for life. That's something we need to take a look at," the Democrat said.
For life? This is America. It is really only for that period of time in which it is convenient.
Old 06-16-06, 10:35 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
Colorado is getting more Progressive every day.
Old 06-16-06, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
So can I soon expect an outrage over the fact that such a marriage can then "cross state lines?"
Old 06-16-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yum.
Old 06-16-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Sweet! Now I just need to find me a 15 yo chick!
Old 06-16-06, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Sweet! Now I just need to find me a 15 yo chick!
Finding them is easy. It's chasing them down and hitting them over the head with a club that is the hard part. Hit them too hard and they die. Don't hit them hard enough and they will hold it against you for your entire marriage.

You can't win.
Old 06-16-06, 11:14 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
So can I soon expect an outrage over the fact that such a marriage can then "cross state lines?"
Good question.

Is the following of English common law a factor here? Curious to know how many states are similar to CO in this manner.
Old 06-16-06, 11:22 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought age requirements could be waived if the parents consented?
Old 06-16-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

dear jill

will u marry me? lol check one:

__ yes
__ no

l8r
Old 06-16-06, 02:29 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
I thought age requirements could be waived if the parents consented?

This only applies to COMMON LAW marriage, a situation where folks live as man and wife and can be declared to be married if they meet certain testssuch as shared finances ect. You can't get a marrige license and get hitched at 15 in Colorado. It only means that this situation has not been legislated so it reverts to English Common law. There is plent of outrage about it and several legislators have stated they will remedy the situation.
Old 06-16-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Pwman
This only applies to COMMON LAW marriage, a situation where folks live as man and wife and can be declared to be married if they meet certain testssuch as shared finances ect. You can't get a marrige license and get hitched at 15 in Colorado. It only means that this situation has not been legislated so it reverts to English Common law. There is plent of outrage about it and several legislators have stated they will remedy the situation.
Actually, in Colorado all you have to be is eligible to marry (ie not married to anyone else), consider yourself married, and represent yourself to the community as married. You can easily be common law married and keep fully separate finances...
Old 06-16-06, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Funny that the world didn't have a problem with people under 18 getting married to people over until the middle part of the 20th century. Then all of a sudden it was wrong and labled sexual abuse and the people involved labled pedophiles. So when grandpa and grandma got married when grandma was 15 and grandpa was 18 was grandpa a pedophile? The law says yes.
Old 06-16-06, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
There's hope for you yet!
Old 06-16-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So we're back to MINUS 7 then ???!!! I'm so confused .....
Old 06-16-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Shit, Mr. Payroll. If only they had Disneyland in Colorado, you'd be set!

(dammit I just piggybacked halo's joke)
Old 06-17-06, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

14 in Ontario, Canada.
How proud we must feel.
Old 06-17-06, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, he's 38 now but was probably "only" 34 or 35 when he tried to marry the 15 year old.

This is a weird case and I'm having trouble seeing the practicle implications of it. So say I was for some reason attracted to a 14 year old. I would have to convince her to move in with me and live with me as my wife, then go to the court later (when she was 15) and say that she was my common-law wife. I'm thinking that having a 14 year old move in with me and acting as my wife would raise some eyebrows, especially of the local police and my actual wife.
Old 06-17-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by greg9x
So we're back to MINUS 7 then ???!!! I'm so confused .....
Each state needs to post this information as you cross state lines:

Old 06-19-06, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
There's hope for you yet!

Shhhh, I was actually going to say in my original post:

"I'm actually thinking of moving to Colorado!"

But my lawyer advised against it!

Chris
Old 06-19-06, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
Shit, Mr. Payroll. If only they had Disneyland in Colorado, you'd be set!

(dammit I just piggybacked halo's joke)
Please see my post above, 4 below yours!

Chris
Old 06-19-06, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Is the following of English common law a factor here? Curious to know how many states are similar to CO in this manner.
According to the story, 10 states and D.C.
Old 06-19-06, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Reminds me of a story I read in the Chicago Tribune about this reporter who was looking for (and found) his father (the reporter was born in '73). Everything was fine, but the part I found interesting was that the father was 43 when the reporter was born, the mother was 14. Turns out he met the mother at a bus stop and they had a relationship for two or three months.

So this 43 year old meets a 14 year old and not only has sex with her, but has a relationship for two months? And this wasn't Colorado either.

Speaking of searching for parents, I remember a story from my sociology class. This girl looked for, and found, her father. Turns out that she was a product of incest (father/daughter), so technically speaking she also found her grandfather. Kind of like Chinatown. Anyway, the father/grandfather killed himself after she met him.
Old 06-19-06, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
According to the story, 10 states and D.C.
I think WI is one of the states but from what I understand you have to live together for 10 years. I could have bad info, too lazy to look it up but when I was a kid one of my friend's parent's lived together for 15 years but never officially got married but were considered married by common law