Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Need home improvement help (caulking)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Need home improvement help (caulking)

Old 06-03-06, 08:59 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 29,843
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Need home improvement help (caulking)

I'm about done building my bar. Turning out nice. I did most of the work myself, tho my wife as a nice surprise, had our tile guy come and install the granite tile tops. I'm about done with all the wood trim and thus my question:

I need/want to do some very fine caulk work. I used wood trim to finish off the tile around the edges. Of course since it is wood trim + the very slight uneven of the tile edge, means there is some very small space in places. I bought black caulk (the tile is black trim I stained dark). But if I cut off the end like normal, that would be just to big, and thus to much caulk. I think.

Should I just put it on that thick and push down with a damp cloth or something almost like grout? Should I try to punch a pin hole in the grout tube to keep it small?
Old 06-03-06, 09:21 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Kittydreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 13,605
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the hole is small, it's going to take a ton of pressure to get it out and your hand is going to be dead at the end of it. You can try to cut a small hole, do the caulking and then run your finger down it and smooth it out and removing the extra. Good luck.
Old 06-03-06, 09:23 PM
  #3  
Political Exile
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 223
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go and buy a roll of "blue painters tape" there are several differnt brands but unless you work with it I would stick with the 3M product. Place the tape on the area you don't want to caulk on either side of the area to be caulked.take your time making it straight. Really press the tape onto the surface. Then cut the end of the caulk just large enough that you can push a nail through it, just use whatever size you have laying around it does not have to be pin sized it only need to be long enough to reach the caulk in the tube. Push the nail into the tube of caulk once you have cut a small 45 degree cut on it. If the hole gets clogged just push the nail into it to open it up . Once you have the ability to press the caulk out of the tube or gun lay a thin line over the area that needs to be caulked. Use a wet finger to press the caulk into where you want it. Dont be afraid to rewet your finger with a clean wet rag so it stays clean and wet. Remove the tape slowly while the caulk is not set. I sort of hold the tape at an angle as it lifts off more cleanly. You should get a nice clean line left once you take that tape off.Have a bucket of clean water so you can wet a rag and wipe up any caulk that might be under the tape. If it gets messy just wipe it all up and redo it until you are satisfied with the job. I've used this technique when I've caulked around fine wood moldings and countertops also. The trick is to use the blue tape and press it down firmly. Caulk will clean up very easily til it dries. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 06-03-06, 09:41 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,204
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you remember nothing else....remember this:

"Rock out, with your Caulk Out!"

-p
Old 06-03-06, 10:23 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
DarthVong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Under your bed
Posts: 5,777
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does black caulk come in a larger tube than white caulk?

a wet finger and wet rag is all you should need as already noted.
Old 06-04-06, 12:19 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Upright, in a cool, dry place
Posts: 4,275
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Be sure not to vacuum the area for a couple of days until your caulk has had a chance to stiffen, otherwise you'll end up with a dirty caulksucker.
Old 06-04-06, 08:15 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 14,204
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
If the hole is small, it's going to take a ton of pressure to get it out and your hand is going to be dead at the end of it. You can try to cut a small hole, do the caulking and then run your finger down it and smooth it out and removing the extra. Good luck.
Kitty is an expert on the caulk.

Kitty looooves the caulk.
Old 06-04-06, 08:40 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: New York City
Posts: 5,229
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd use black silicone caulk. Better for wet reas. Easy to smooth in with your fingers. Taping off the tile is good too. (But why granite tile? A slab or other continuous surface is way better for a bartop IMO.)
Old 06-04-06, 10:05 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 29,843
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
If the hole is small, it's going to take a ton of pressure to get it out and your hand is going to be dead at the end of it. You can try to cut a small hole, do the caulking and then run your finger down it and smooth it out and removing the extra. Good luck.
Wow, I have even more respect for you now!!! Great advise
Old 06-04-06, 10:10 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 29,843
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by drmoze
I'd use black silicone caulk. Better for wet reas. Easy to smooth in with your fingers. Taping off the tile is good too. (But why granite tile? A slab or other continuous surface is way better for a bartop IMO.)
Mainly the cost. I was actually going to use engineered stone (quartz) like Silstone which is what I used in the kitchen. But the Minimum charge was to close to $1,000. So I spent about $125 on the granite tiles that I was going to install myself, but while working out of town, my wife had our tile guy install it for less then $200 so for about $325 I got granite tiles installed. My tile guy did the grout lines a little bigger then I wanted, but it still turned out nice.

OK, will try with painters tape when I get back from my meeting this week. Will post a pic when I have a chance.
Old 06-04-06, 12:42 PM
  #11  
Political Exile
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 223
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Mainly the cost. I was actually going to use engineered stone (quartz) like Silstone which is what I used in the kitchen. But the Minimum charge was to close to $1,000. So I spent about $125 on the granite tiles that I was going to install myself, but while working out of town, my wife had our tile guy install it for less then $200 so for about $325 I got granite tiles installed. My tile guy did the grout lines a little bigger then I wanted, but it still turned out nice.

OK, will try with painters tape when I get back from my meeting this week. Will post a pic when I have a chance.

Out of curiosity could you tell me why not use grout on the gap?? You can tape and mask off the wood and probably get a longer lasting fix.
Old 06-04-06, 01:21 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Kittydreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 13,605
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Wow, I have even more respect for you now!!! Great advise
Awww...thanks. I do 90% of the repairs and improvements around my house so I know how to use a caulking gun real well.

@ Mojo...you dork.
Old 06-04-06, 03:35 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
xmiyux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: WV
Posts: 9,910
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's get some pictures of this masterwork!
Old 06-04-06, 08:32 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Duran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 8,173
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recommend silicone as well. Latex has always been a real pain to work with, IMO. I just use a normal bead and buy one of those caulk finishing tools (cost aroudn $2-$3). Wipe excess off with a damp towel/finger.
Old 06-04-06, 08:35 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner
 
Bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: the 870
Posts: 21,351
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NCMojo
Kitty is an expert on the caulk.

Kitty looooves the caulk.
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10/5


Old 06-04-06, 09:44 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 29,843
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xmiyux
Let's get some pictures of this masterwork!
OK, will be out of town till Thursday to try everone's suggestions, but here is some pic's,

Here is how I layed out the design,



I used vanity cabinets, stained them, then built an outter framed "wall" to hold the upper bar (since this photo I added a 2nd coat of stain and some clear coat)



All the rough in done here. Added the foam board to give some firmness when I "skin" the bar with paneling



Granite tile installed (thanks to my wife )



Details (trim) going on and decorations starting to go up



Another shot showing trim work and paneling up (tho still need trim on the paneling)



Close up of the trim. It is the three rows of trim that touches the tile that I'm needing/wanting to caulk. There is one row on the bar tenders side and then one sent on each side of the main bar top.



I did run electrical so I can do a blender, etc. I also have a free standing sink that I will install behind and near the entrance to the bar. The bar should sit 6 pretty easily with a tight 7th if needed. No overviews of the room, but I should also have room for a small "pub table" to seat 2-3 more.
Old 08-16-06, 10:53 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 29,843
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pwman
Go and buy a roll of "blue painters tape" there are several differnt brands but unless you work with it I would stick with the 3M product. Place the tape on the area you don't want to caulk on either side of the area to be caulked.take your time making it straight. Really press the tape onto the surface. Then cut the end of the caulk just large enough that you can push a nail through it, just use whatever size you have laying around it does not have to be pin sized it only need to be long enough to reach the caulk in the tube. Push the nail into the tube of caulk once you have cut a small 45 degree cut on it. If the hole gets clogged just push the nail into it to open it up . Once you have the ability to press the caulk out of the tube or gun lay a thin line over the area that needs to be caulked. Use a wet finger to press the caulk into where you want it. Dont be afraid to rewet your finger with a clean wet rag so it stays clean and wet. Remove the tape slowly while the caulk is not set. I sort of hold the tape at an angle as it lifts off more cleanly. You should get a nice clean line left once you take that tape off.Have a bucket of clean water so you can wet a rag and wipe up any caulk that might be under the tape. If it gets messy just wipe it all up and redo it until you are satisfied with the job. I've used this technique when I've caulked around fine wood moldings and countertops also. The trick is to use the blue tape and press it down firmly. Caulk will clean up very easily til it dries. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
I did exactly this and it worked great!

Yea, I have been working on a lot of other projects including installing a sink behind my bar, I just got around to this. I did it tonight and it really took less then an hour. It took more time to put the tape down then anything, but it was well worth.

At first glance, it you don't notice it, but looking closely it has a much, much cleaner look. Also filled in some tiny nicks in the granite tile on the few pieces that were cut.

I'd post a pic, but it is so fine, there is no way it would show. But it does give a much cleaner, finished look.

Thanks!
Old 08-16-06, 11:09 PM
  #18  
Moderator
 
Jadzia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,799
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the black caulk.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.