Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Is it me, or are women getting tougher & tougher to read?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 05-23-06, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, here's the deal. I'm usually the one dishing out the advice (good & bad), but I'm in a quandary right now. I'm 28, a pretty decent lookin guy (at least I think so). I've been hanging around a lot of younger girls lately (19 - early 20s). I met one of these girls through a friend. She specifically asked about me, so that's why I decided to introduce myself. When we first met, she dropped a lot of "I don't have a boyfriend right now" without me ever asking her. I think everyone knows what she's hinting at. So we got together & went out to a rodeo event (I know, I live in the South). But then she seemed closed off. We flirted a little and there was random bumping of bodies (literally, she would bump her body against mine), but when I tried to engage in conversation she seemed disinterested and wouldn't look me in the eyes when answering (I think we know what that means too). Hmmmmm, strange. So I called a few days later, & she didn't call me back (I pretty much expected this). I still talk to her through e-mail however. No biggy.

The reason is because I'm also talking to another girl I met when I was at a friend's bar one night. She seemed real interested in me. I asked my friend if she was seeing anybody, he said "no". He asked me if I wanted him to pass it on to her that I was asking about her. I said sure. The next few times we saw each other, she was all smiles & hugs. We accidentally met up a couple of nights ago (she was with her friends, I was with mine) and played pool. Lots of flirting going on. Later when she was about to leave, she found me and wanted to say goodbye. I told her she should give me a call later, but she said that she was too drunk to remember my number (what??) but that they were going to another club and that I should go. No thanks (after that drunk excuse, yeah right, but truthfully she was kinda drunk at the time).

Ok, this isn't the end yet. We've got a little more, so bear with me. Another girl I just met (a friend of a new friend) was flirting with me the first night I met her. I saw her again later at my friend's birthday party. She was very touchy feely, and made me hold her drink & purse everytime she left to go use the bathroom or talk on the cell (she literally grabbed my hand & put it on her drink, & sat her purse in my lap). Then while we were sitting at the table her leg rubbed against mine. I didn't move my leg because I was testing the moment. Her leg was rest against mine for about 15 minutes. The thing about her was she just broke up with her boyfriend (she broke it off, not him). I was kinda thinking she was just a tease & liked to flirt, but my friend told me she doesn't flirt with guys the way she flirts with me. I didn't pursue this one at all because I'm thinking it's not a good idea since she just broke up with her bf.

Mind you, this is all happening at around the same time (just different nights) and all three of these girls are pretty darn attractive. But damned if I ain't having the hardest time reading the situation. It never used to be this way. Why can't I figure them out? I've been hanging out with another girl who I'm sure likes me, but I'm not totally attracted to her. What the hell is going on?
Old 05-23-06, 06:56 PM

Well considering their age (19-20), they're suppose to be tough to read. It's that time in their lives when they go out, experiment, and explore.

I think you will have a better time going after ladies who are 25+.
Old 05-23-06, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Girls in their 19 to early 20s that frequent bars and parties tease & like to flirt, for the most part. alot. At least that was how they were in my day. Don't let them play their reindeer games with your head. If you get some flirt action, enjoy it but don't for a second read anything into it. Play it cool, be yourself, don't expect anything, and certainly don't show that you're hungry for it. Trying to successfully analyze the thought processes of a pre-woman is like trying to catch lightning in a jar. Chaotic, irrational, heartlessly cruel lightning in a very small and fragile jar with a lid two sizes too small.

Good luck, bro.
Old 05-23-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

but I like my ladies young

I look pretty young too, so that's why I think the younger girls dig me more than the older ones (for some reason I get a lot of "larger" ie. fat, older women comin after me).
Old 05-23-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just think they're playing games with my head man... All of these girls are ones that showed interest in me first, before I showed any interest in them. I'm thinkin they like the chase, but once it begins it's over.
Old 05-23-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
'Zackly.
Old 05-23-06, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally Posted by SeekOnce
Well considering their age (19-20), they're suppose to be tough to read. It's that time in their lives when they go out, experiment, and explore.

I think you will have a better time going after ladies who are 25+.
That's what I was going to say: "Is it me, or are women getting tougher & tougher to read?" Not WOMEN, no, but college girls and teenagers have always been tough to read...
Old 05-23-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, it's pretty obvious what the problem is--you can't make a freaking move! All of those girls were interested, but you blew it because you didn't do anything about it.

Here's the most obvious example:
Later when she was about to leave, she found me and wanted to say goodbye. I told her she should give me a call later, but she said that she was too drunk to remember my number (what??) but that they were going to another club and that I should go. No thanks (after that drunk excuse, yeah right, but truthfully she was kinda drunk at the time).
No thanks?! She was saying she wasn't going to waste time on you if you weren't going to either make a move (kiss her) or go out with them to the next club--where she was hoping you might make a move then. The worst that can happen is that you're denied, but seeing as how <b>she chased you down</b> to invite you to go with them, I doubt that would happen.
Old 05-23-06, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Never gotten them, never will!!
Old 05-23-06, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't take advantage of drunk girls. I'm classy that way.
Old 05-23-06, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, girls are absolutely no tougher to read. Perhaps your reading skills wane with age.

Jokes aside, the younger the girl, the more bullshit you're going to get, as a rule. Since you like them young, just deal.
Old 05-23-06, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Well, it's pretty obvious what the problem is--you can't make a freaking move! All of those girls were interested, but you blew it because you didn't do anything about it.

Here's the most obvious example:
No thanks?! She was saying she wasn't going to waste time on you if you weren't going to either make a move (kiss her) or go out with them to the next club--where she was hoping you might make a move then. The worst that can happen is that you're denied, but seeing as how <b>she chased you down</b> to invite you to go with them, I doubt that would happen.
Shit! is that what he should have done? I would have done the same shilex did. "Bye. Give me a call when not drunk!" Yet again I wouldn't have interpreted any of the above examples as messages or signs. I would have interpreted them as girls being flirty with the help of the sidekick alcohol. haha.
Old 05-23-06, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Have you dated a lot? Have you dated girls this age?

Because it sounds like they're just being flirty and friendly, but that's it. I think you're reading too much into what they're doing.

We flirted a little and there was random bumping of bodies (literally, she would bump her body against mine)
She was very touchy feely, and made me hold her drink & purse everytime she left to go use the bathroom or talk on the cell (she literally grabbed my hand & put it on her drink, & sat her purse in my lap).
Sorry to disappoint, dude, but for many girls this means absolutely NOTHING.
Old 05-23-06, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would challenge them to some sort of cock-fight. Make sure they don't bring any ringer roosters.
Old 05-24-06, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Two of these girls I know were definitely interested in me (at least in the beginning). They specifically asked their friends to see if I was seeing anyone. Part of the problem is that you're reading a truncated version of my stories. I don't think anyone would want to read the extended version & it would take a while to write.

& hey, even if it was just flirty & friendly you gotta know that as a guy it's my duty to try to hit that booty.....respectfully, of course

Last edited by Shilex; 05-24-06 at 01:17 AM.
Old 05-24-06, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You are playing with girls....and they don't even know what they want. In all honesty, you need to be aloof, uncaring, and very confident. Blow them off a few times, then they should probably knock down your door.

When you graduate to women.....it is slightly different.

-p
Old 05-24-06, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
Shit! is that what he should have done? I would have done the same shilex did. "Bye. Give me a call when not drunk!" Yet again I wouldn't have interpreted any of the above examples as messages or signs. I would have interpreted them as girls being flirty with the help of the sidekick alcohol. haha.
The problem with that is, now she thinks he doesn't want to spend any time with her. Blow her off when you're already together and having fun, and the chances are good you'll blow her off when you're not. Seems kind of dumb to not want to prolong the party, especially if you are trying to establish a relationship.
Old 05-24-06, 03:43 AM

The girl too drunk to remember your number just sounds like she wanted you to ask for hers surely.

Next time your in a simlar situation ask her to hold on a minute, get her close and confidently and thoughtfully study her face. Then say, 'Hmmmmm. You are cute...' as though this stands alone against the countless reasons you shouldn't get involved with her, which it probably does.

Then casually say 'go have fun with your friends', or 'text me sometime' or something like that and let her go. She'll remember you alright.
Old 05-24-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I demand the full complete story. mostly because i'm detail oriented but most importantly because i'm bored at work. so let do this.
Old 05-24-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shilex
I don't take advantage of drunk girls. I'm classy that way.
You misspelled the word "stupid".
Old 05-24-06, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shilex
Two of these girls I know were definitely interested in me ...
Wow you must have to fight the girls off. It is a wonder you can find the time to post being so desirable and shit.
Old 05-24-06, 10:41 AM

It sounds like the problem is you can't make up YOUR mind. Pick one of three girls and make your move.

If none of them are special then don't bother. But you just sound like you have all 3 lumped together as just possibilities and nothing more.

If you make a girl feel like she is special to you, you will get somewhere. We hate all this passive-aggressive shit from men who dangle their carrot but never do anything with it.
Old 05-24-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Women aren't any harder to read, its just that every girl is different. You are probably good at reading a certain type of girl, but when you run into someone different, you have to start over. I'm gonna ignore the other posts for a second and give my brutally honest opinion.

1. your a descent looking guy. Because of this, the first 2 girls were interested. After getting to know you a bit (girl 1), they realize they don't like you as much. Sorry, but looks will only take you so far.

2. Girl 2 is interested in flirting and having fun, not being tied to (you) one person. Don't fret yourself, either go with the flow or move on, up to you. And yes, being too drunk to get your number was just an excuse.

3. The third girl is on the rebound (even if it was her that ended it). If she is genuinely interested, you will find out with. We dont know enough about her yet to determine if she wants short term or long term satisfaction. BUt by her ending the previous relationship, we know she goes for what she wants. If you want things to work for the long run, you have to (already) be better than her ex. Not just act better now or for the near future, but generally be a better guy than he was. In order for it to work, it has to be an upgrade for her or else you are doomed within 1-2 years, if not a couple months.

Before you pick one of the girls and run with it, you have to make up your mind on what you want. For a while, I was just out there for the girl #2 type, but have since changed. Objectives change for everyone, men and women.

Last edited by grrrah; 05-24-06 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-24-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First, please post some pics. Second (someone's gotta say this): try peeing in their butt. That seems to work...

Seriously, you're dating younger women. They have no idea what they want in a man yet. Try dating someone a bit older as they are (normally) more mature, unless you like dealing with it.
Old 05-24-06, 01:19 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I must have missed that era when women were easier to understand.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.