Reload this Page >

School me on Indian Food

Other Talk "Otterville"

School me on Indian Food

Old 05-19-06, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
School me on Indian Food

I've been craving Indian food lately, as I've only been to an Indian Restaurant twice before this evening. The menus at the places I've been to are so large it's intimidating. I swear I stared at it for a good 30 minutes before ordering. I ended up with Chana Masala - a chick pea mixture with tons of spices and a ginger chutney (and of course some garlic nan...mmmm). It was damn good. The only other times I've been to an Indian place I've had the standard Tandoori Chicken.

So what else is good. I'm generally open to anything, although I do not eat seafood (I can't stand the texture). Lamb is good, but it's my last choice...and they have goat (never had it), of course in addition to veggie and chicken dishes. An other customer at the place was getting something with chick peas and garlic and spinach in a milky brownish sauce, which looked absolutely delectible, but I didn't know what it was.

So how about some suggestions? Recipes? I'm quite the cook, so I'm open to making it myself...
Old 05-19-06, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 161 Likes on 103 Posts
edtied to add: Oh, you want recipes?

Lotsa places have a different style so you have to try different place to see which one does it the way you like it. I have a menu in front of me so I'm just typing out what thier menu says. I like my food MILD but hardcore folks eat it spicy hot.

Chicken Makhani...chicken in a creamy sauce. Everyplace makes it different so YMMV. I like it creamy and "buttery".

Lamb Korma...cashew nut curry/sauce with lamb

Chicken Tikka Methi...chicken marinated in yogurt and spices cooked with fenugreek and mild spices.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-20-06 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-19-06, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really depends on who you ask what is Indian food. If you ask me, I grew up in a pure vegeterian home, so there was NOTHING with any sort of animal product (except for milk).

So, when you guys tell me about Chicken Masala or anything with Lamb ... that's not Indian to me.
Old 05-19-06, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All you need to know is lamb biriyani or lamb/chicken vindaloo. With raita. And naan. Mmm...
Old 05-19-06, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Lamb Korma...cashew nut curry/sauce with lamp
Not only does that sound delicious but you'll also be able to see exactly what you're eating.
Old 05-19-06, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Aloo Paratha---a melt-in-your-mouth flat bread stuffed with spiced (cumin?)mashed potatoes......OMG is that good....
Old 05-20-06, 12:44 AM

Saag Paneer --cheese cubes in a spinach creme sauce
Old 05-20-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by dork
Not only does that sound delicious but you'll also be able to see exactly what you're eating.
Old 05-20-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dork

corrected.
Old 05-20-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

go to whole foods and buy some Garam Masala, cloves, cumin, ceyenne pepper, curry, and some other indian sounding stuff. buy some plain yogurt and mix all this stuff together. set aside.

use a little yogurt for ever dish. dip chicken, lamb, shrimp in the yogurt and grill it or set oven on broil and broil it.
Old 05-20-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this thread is giving me a stomach ache
Old 05-20-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Shilex
this thread is giving me a stomach ache
Then perhaps you should go back to the "hometown buffet" thread.
Old 05-21-06, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
go to whole foods
Okay, I'm doing pretty well financially...but whole foods? I'd have to take out a mortgage to shop at that fucking ripoff place.

I love how everything there is 3x the fucking price of everywhere else because some asshole diecided to stamp "organic" on it.

I'm still kicking myself for the last can of black beans I bought there. I paid like $3 or 4 for it...and they SUCKED. They were the worst can of beans I've ever had. I went back to the $.80 walmart Bush's brand black beans.

They've got the greatest racket going in the food business at that place...it's always fucking packed...it's needlessly expensive, and people are way too happy to spend way too much there.
Old 05-21-06, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

wife and i decided to stop shopping at costco because if we only shop at whole foods it's the same amount of money out of our pockets. and this includes buying a lot of organic things.

they have the best spices though compared to others i've tried
Old 05-21-06, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There aren't many indian food restaurants in my neighborhood, but I know at Wegman's in the international section they have bottles of premade indian sauces. They aren't nearly as good as the real restaurant stuff but work in a bind. It also really seems to impress some ladies when I make them indian food (I throw out the bottle so they think I made form scratch).
Old 05-21-06, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
they have the best spices though compared to others i've tried
That is one upside to that place. They have a much better selection of spices, and the prices on those are fairly close to market average...much bigger selection than, say Giant Eagle (in my neck of the woods...compare to safeway, etc...)
Old 05-21-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my favorite Indian meal

Old 05-21-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How many Indian Amy's do you know?
Old 05-21-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
Okay, I'm doing pretty well financially...but whole foods? I'd have to take out a mortgage to shop at that fucking ripoff place.
I was watching an interview of the CEO of Whole Foods who told the interviewer that Americans spend less disposable income than our other industralized counterparts by almost 50%.
Old 05-21-06, 04:49 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
You should see if there is an Indian buffet in your area... That way, you could try several different dishes and see what you think of them.
Old 05-21-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the whole foods in the NYC area with hot buffets have some of the best indian food i've tried. almost everyone has an indian hot bar around here
Old 05-21-06, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
I don't have an Indian food restaurant or cool grocery store down here near me, so I get my parents to go to Central Market when they are visiting my sister in Austin and pick up some jars of Indian food sauces. As someone else said, they might not be quite as good as if you buy at a restaurant, but I think they're pretty damn tasty. And it sure as hell beats not having anything at all.
Old 05-21-06, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc

Old 05-21-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
I talked to one just the other night when I called American Express.

Old 05-21-06, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks to this tread, I'm going to Hema's Kitchen for dinner.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.