Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Washington D.C. National Zoo - Suggestions and/or Advice?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 05-15-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking a trip to the National Zoo this saturday. I'm taking my son and another 4 year old. I know the place is huge so I'm not sure how long the kids will last walking. Do they offer any kind of transportation for rent for the kids (stroller like)?

As for the Zoo itself. Is there anything in particular to see or avoid?

Thanks
Old 05-15-06, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

?? It's not THAT big. Maybe a stroller would be a good idea for a kid though. I've been there a couple of times. It's okay... the animals look pretty sad though, and there have been a lot of 'unusual' animal deaths there too. Even though the price is right (it's free btw), I just don't think I can support it until it cleans up its act.

It does have the "new" panda, which was all the rave in DC last fall. It's also under some construction, so it may get nicer in the future.
Old 05-15-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by kneijst1
?? It's not THAT big. Maybe a stroller would be a good idea for a kid though. I've been there a couple of times. It's okay... the animals look pretty sad though, and there have been a lot of 'unusual' animal deaths there too. Even though the price is right (it's free btw), I just don't think I can support it until it cleans up its act.

It does have the "new" panda, which was all the rave in DC last fall. It's also under some construction, so it may get nicer in the future.
The National Zoo is one of the nicest zoos in the world. I really dont' agree with anything you've said above.

It's not that it's overly huge, but it is very hilly (strangely). And you can expect large groups of students as well this time of year.

I don't know if you still have to get tickets in advance for the Panda exhibit, but you may want to check that out before you go.
Old 05-15-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
The National Zoo is one of the nicest zoos in the world. I really dont' agree with anything you've said above.

It's not that it's overly huge, but it is very hilly (strangely). And you can expect large groups of students as well this time of year.

I don't know if you still have to get tickets in advance for the Panda exhibit, but you may want to check that out before you go.
I think his point was that after you have been to places like Disneyworld, Vegas, or even most six flags type of theme parks, it's not really that big.

I don't see kids having that much problem getting around, maybe bring a stroller.

It's not too hard to drive up there and park, but you can also take the metro to the zoo stop which is about 2 blocks away from the entrance.

As for the animals, the zoo is fun and has a lot of history, but if you have been to Disney's Animal Kingdom, San Diego zoo, etc you will probably be disappointed. It is a "city zoo" and if your not used to that sort of thing, I think it can be a small let down.

BTW, food is pricey and there isn't a whole lot outside of the zoo nearby, plus that would be pricey too.
Old 05-15-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jeeden

BTW, food is pricey and there isn't a whole lot outside of the zoo nearby, plus that would be pricey too.
If you mean McDonalds and the like, well, yes. But Cleveland Park is one Metro stop or just a few blocks walking from the zoo and has arguably the best food in all of DC. At the very least, it has the most unique restaurants.
Old 05-15-06, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We're taking the Metro so parking isn't an issue. I've been before but it's been a couple of years. I say it was big because we have a local zoo it's it like night and day comparing the two. We're taking a backpack with drinks and snacks.
Old 05-15-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
We'll have to agree to disagree then. The DC Zoo is WAY too small to being having elephants, but that could be said for most zoos out there. You might also want to check out the San Diego zoo if you think the National Zoo is the nicest in the world...
Old 05-15-06, 10:46 AM

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
Granted it's been 20+ years since I've been there, and I remember the National Zoo as being quite nice. And somehow I think that San Diego may be out of the question as a day trip for kantonburg & company.
Old 05-15-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kneijst1
We'll have to agree to disagree then. The DC Zoo is WAY too small to being having elephants, but that could be said for most zoos out there. You might also want to check out the San Diego zoo if you think the National Zoo is the nicest in the world...
I didn't say nicest. San Diego is a beautiful zoo (and city). But he's not going there, he's going to DC.

And seriously, what zoo IS big enough to have elephants? Jumanji?
Old 05-15-06, 10:51 AM

Was at the zoo last wk...Tai Shan was outdoors w/ his mama so no tix were required for the panda house. But it may be a good idea to get some on the zoo's website. You can rent strollers at the info kiosk.
Old 05-15-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Granted it's been 20+ years since I've been there, and I remember the National Zoo as being quite nice. And somehow I think that San Diego may be out of the question as a day trip for kantonburg & company.
Although I'd love to go, yes a daytrip is out of the question.
Old 05-15-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Pato1
Was at the zoo last wk...Tai Shan was outdoors w/ his mama so no tix were required for the panda house. But it may be a good idea to get some on the zoo's website. You can rent strollers at the info kiosk.
Great. We have umbrella strollers but I'd rather not take them not knowing if they're actually going to need them or not. I doubt it but at least knowing I can get them is peace of mind.