Other Talk "Otterville"

Heroin sucks

Old 05-10-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heroin sucks

Just found out that one of my oldest childhood friends died last night of a heroin overdose. What a pathetic, fucking waste of lfie. He was a very talented artist. We grew apart after high school, but I have many fond memories of our growing up together. Skateboarding, sneaking out, hanging with the ladies...

If you have friends on this shit - get them off. I had no idea he was doing it. We hadn't spoken in many months. It's devastating.

This is my third friend to die like this. What the hell.
Old 05-10-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 172 Likes on 97 Posts
My nephew's father died of a heroin overdose a few years ago. What a dirty, devastating drug.
Old 05-10-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orangerory
Just found out that one of my oldest childhood friends died last night of a heroin overdose. What a pathetic, fucking waste of lfie. He was a very talented artist. We grew apart after high school, but I have many fond memories of our growing up together. Skateboarding, sneaking out, hanging with the ladies...

If you have friends on this shit - get them off. I had no idea he was doing it. We hadn't spoken in many months. It's devastating.

This is my third friend to die like this. What the hell.
Oh man, I'm so very sorry to hear this.
Old 05-10-06, 03:36 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 150 Likes on 94 Posts
That's terrible, orangerory, I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to watch him implode like that.
Old 05-10-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Bandoman
That's terrible, orangerory, I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to watch him implode like that.
Well - I never knew. I haven't seen in him in a couple of years. If I knew, I certainly would've tried to do something about it. We last talked in November - when I told him I had gotten engaged and he told me had, too. His fiancee found him this morning. I can't even imagine...

It just sucks. You know, you feel guilty you didn't do something, didn't call, didn't make more of an effort to reach out. That somehow if you had, maybe things would be different. Maybe he would've told you and you could've talked him out of it.

But rationally I know it doesn't work like that.

All I can hope is that somehow, someone reading this may reach out to a friend in need and prevent something like this from happening down the line.
Old 05-10-06, 03:52 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 150 Likes on 94 Posts
Don't beat yourself up. Even if you were there and trying to do something, you can't help an addict until he's ready to help himself.
Old 05-10-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had a friend in junior high school who's father came into the restaurant I was working at in college. I hadn't seen my friend in years, so I gave the guy's dad my pager number (yeah I'm aging myself ) and asked him to pass it to his son. He did and the guy called me the next day. We talked briefly and he mentioned his girlfriend had moved out west and he was thinking about following her.

The next week I was informed he committed suicide a few days later. I've always wondered - what if...? just as you said
All I can hope is that somehow, someone reading this may reach out to a friend in need and prevent something like this from happening down the line.
Old 05-11-06, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I know about Heroin is that Charlie from LOST is addicted to it. And it's commonly found in statues of the Virgin Mary.

Sorry to hear about your friend.
Old 05-11-06, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heroin is vile shit. Before I moved to the middle of nowhere, I worked in a busy er in the south end of Phoenix. Heroin is the drug of choice among the homeless because its 1/4 of the price of anything else. what allways bugged me the most is the fire department would bring them in half dead, we'd give them narcan to reverse the heroin, and they would wake up, check out ama, and go look for another hit. We would see the same people multiple times a night sometimes.
Old 05-11-06, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used to be very addicted to heroin, and a lesser known drug known as K-4's, and it is the pits. More expensive than coke, or any other drug, and the most addictive.

I had an overdose last fall ('05) and have been clean ever since. It really takes an awakening or the law to get over it, it is just that bad. I have lost many many friends over it.

I am sorry about your loss. Drugs is the last thing you want to loose a friend over, but for a lot of its users, it ends up being the only way out.

I can't stress enough how hard that addiction is, I was lucky enough to have gotten through it (and ended up going to college), but it is getting worse, and attention needs to be paid. Such as, a friend and I were pulled over one day on our way back from hooking up downtown and there were no drugs (we used them all) and no dirty needles (we threw them out) and the officer pulled us over, saw how shitty we were, searched the car, found clean needles (we called the riggs) and HAD to let us go.

The officer saw that we were fucked up, found needles, and had to let us go. Clean needles shouldn't be legal without a perscription and that would solve a lot of problems. More people would be arrested, get on probation, and be drug tested. That is what I ended up needing, and that is what sooo many people need.

It could save lives and help out so many people.

But really, I am sorry about your loss.
Old 05-11-06, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Suck news. I am very happy I have never been involved with anyone that was an addict. Probably goes with being in a hick town.
Old 05-11-06, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Suck news. I am very happy I have never been involved with anyone that was an addict. Probably goes with being in a hick town.
You live in the only hick town in America without a meth problem?
Old 05-11-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I knew a friend who got hooked on Heroin big time. Total denial about it too, esp. after contractin HIV. I saw her about 4 months before she went clean and she was a total mess: emaciated, her eyes were sunken into her head, and she didn't have any life left in her. I remember taking this class on drugs a while later and almost lost it when someone said that heroin should be legalized.
Old 05-11-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

orangerory - sorry about your loss. I too had a very close childhood friend die of a heroin overdose a few years ago. It sounds like almost an identical situation (drifted apart after high school, he was a talented artist, etc.). It was tough to deal with, but drug addiction is a devastating illness that sadly many cannot recover from.

AnonomusBob15 - congratulations on getting clean and staying clean. I know how hard that must have been to do and maintain. Stay strong and good luck in college!
Old 05-11-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes it does suck. Yet people still do it. I had a couple roommates years ago who were into it. I'd give them shit for it and they'd always defend it pointing out that my drinking was "just as bad".

One of them's dead. The other was/is in prison.

Sorry about your loss. It's a bad, bad drug. Nice to see that it wasn't legalized in Mexico.
Old 05-11-06, 05:11 PM

Congratulations on cleaning up, AnonomusBob15! That's truly excellent!

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
Clean needles shouldn't be legal without a perscription and that would solve a lot of problems. More people would be arrested, get on probation, and be drug tested. That is what I ended up needing, and that is what sooo many people need.
i have to disagree with this bit though.

It seems that with most cases of people kicking the habit, they only truly did it when they absolutely 100% had the motivation and desire to do it - I'm thinking of Kevin Smith's recent recounting of Jason Mewes' troubles most prominently at the moment.

I think if you don't have free clean needles, you'll only increase the nuymber of diseases and other dangers. Plus, prison is not an affordable solution. California passed an initiative (Proposition 36) last year that widely reduced the number of prison sentences for minor drug offenses by replacing it with mandatory rehab. The result has had more positive than negative results - note I say more, since there were some negatives. Most Californians believe, however, that the program is worth it. (Source=April 22-28th issue of <i>The Economist</i>, pg. 47 <a href="sentencing.nj.gov/downloads/pdf/articles/2006/0426_9_economist.pdf" target="_charmofrehab">"The Charm of Rehab"</a>)
Old 05-11-06, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
You live in the only hick town in America without a meth problem?
In oregon no less....the meth capital of the world.
Old 05-11-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DrRingDing
I think if you don't have free clean needles, you'll only increase the nuymber of diseases and other dangers. Plus, prison is not an affordable solution. California passed an initiative (Proposition 36) last year that widely reduced the number of prison sentences for minor drug offenses by replacing it with mandatory rehab. The result has had more positive than negative results - note I say more, since there were some negatives. Most Californians believe, however, that the program is worth it. (Source=April 22-28th issue of <i>The Economist</i>, pg. 47 <a href="sentencing.nj.gov/downloads/pdf/articles/2006/0426_9_economist.pdf" target="_charmofrehab">"The Charm of Rehab"</a>)
Though I dislike the idea of spending tax dollars on rehab center.....the worse choice is to spend more on prisons. Frankly, the numbers support that rehab is the more cost effective treatment, but it is a hard sell to convince a community that puting a meth clinic on the streets is a positive step for the community.

I am all for drug screenings, rehab, etc....but the larger problem is the prison system because drug addicts are in the prisons, while the violent and sexual offenders are parolled.....thank you 3-strike rule.

-p
Old 05-11-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DrRingDing
Congratulations on cleaning up, AnonomusBob15! That's truly excellent!

i have to disagree with this bit though.

It seems that with most cases of people kicking the habit, they only truly did it when they absolutely 100% had the motivation and desire to do it - I'm thinking of Kevin Smith's recent recounting of Jason Mewes' troubles most prominently at the moment.

I don't think you understood what I said. Not regarding viruses (which is a problem), two kids were left off the hook because they had needles that hadn't been used. Getting arrested was a great way of getting clean for me, and I know several other people it has helped out. Drug testing, mandatory classes, monitoring, are all great tools in helping kids (or adults) get out of this lifestyle. I say all of this from first hand experience.
Old 05-11-06, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
I don't think you understood what I said. Not regarding viruses (which is a problem), two kids were left off the hook because they had needles that hadn't been used.
i understood that. but if a cop could arrest based on assuming that people are fucked up because they have clean needles and look (and are maybe acting) fucked up, then that would be a BIGGER problem.

you never know the circumstances. it could be somebody badly in need of insulin who's acting weird because of it and who has the needles in the car waiting - not that this would happen. but arresting based on an assumption and circumstantial evidence is not right, no matter what the situation.

i'm glad the stint in prison helped you out, though. anything that helped you kick the junk was a good thing for you (and some others), but what worked for you won't work for everybody. there's really no good solution to this problem, in the end, except letting users/abusers figure it out for themselves.

there are plenty of abusers who get out of prison and immediately look for another hit. it's sad. it's cyclical. but it's really the person's decision combined with an absence of enablers, as they only make it easier to continue.

of course, i'm not speaking from experience but rather from what i've read.
-ringding-
Old 05-11-06, 07:09 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Heroin will steal your soul.

I'm lucky that my younger brother is still alive. His good friend Mary Sharp was the poster child for the Plano, TX heroin "epidemic" that ABC and MTV did a special on. She died from an overdose, and my brother was minutes away from the same result. It's very scary stuff, please stay away!
Old 05-11-06, 07:46 PM
Premium Member

Received 167 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by orangerory
This my third friend to die like this.
This is the most disturbing part of your post.
Old 05-11-06, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's the stuff posted above that will always keep me from supporting legalization.
Old 05-11-06, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nazgul
It's the stuff posted above that will always keep me from supporting legalization.
It would be horrible if it were legal so people would know what dose they were getting and that it would not be adulterated with shit that could kill you.
Old 05-11-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 657 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by movielib
It would be horrible if it were legal so people would know what dose they were getting and that it would not be adulterated with shit that could kill you.
Yes, pull the stuff out of the black market, and it would be safer.

It's like alcohol -- ban it, and you create a black market, which will be filled by a bunch of crazy hillbillies making moonshine.

It certainly doesn't seem like the "war on drugs" we've been waging for decades has saved many lives either. It has, so far, stripped us of our privacy, our Constitutional rights, filled our prisons, and turned the inner cities into urban war zones.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.