Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

I HATE ALLERGIES!!!!

Old 05-10-06, 12:51 PM

First, if you are taking Allegra D, it contains Sudafed, so you are doubling the decongestant if you are also taking Sudafed tablets. This will definitely make your nose run continuously, not to mention increase your blood pressure.

Second, have your doctor prescribe you Flonase, it is a miracle when used correctly.

I currently take Allegra (without Sudafed) and Flonase. I do not have near the problems that I had before. I still know it is allergy season, but I no longer have the Sinus Infections and other malladies that go along with it.

Another possibility is Singulair. It is an asthma drug, but there has been limited success in controlling seasonal allergy symptoms in chronic allergy patients.

I hope some of this helps.

Old 08-06-06, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know what is blossoming right now. But, I feel like I am going to die. The bad thing is that I can't take normal allergy medicine because I am allergic to antihistamines. This is my last week at my job, so I think I will call in tomorrow if I am not feeling better.
Old 08-06-06, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never have allergies

You obviously developed incorrectly

sorry I had to say it

I have allergies too
Old 08-06-06, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been suffering with my allergies for the last week or so. As I type this, my nose is stuffy/runny to the point that it's driving me crazy.
Old 08-07-06, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mseang
Another possibility is Singulair. It is an asthma drug, but there has been limited success in controlling seasonal allergy symptoms in chronic allergy patients.
This is what i am on now and it has totally changed my life this summer. I can actually go outside and even be around cut grass without my eyes swelling up and feeling like i'm breathing death. Sometimes when pollen and such is really up there i will take an Allevert as well but Singulair has been miraculous for me.
Old 08-07-06, 09:33 AM
Banned

Actually...i haven't been congested or anything lately. I've just had this disgusting phlegm for the last week or so. Yukky.
Old 09-20-06, 09:22 AM

I think I may be joining this wonderful group now. Over the last four days the sneezing, stuffy head and sore throat have been getting worse and worse...decided to call in sick today and try to see a doctor to confirm whether or not it's allergies or a cold or something else.

For those who have dealt with allergies: are body/muscle aches common with allergies? Just trying to get a better idea of what I'm fighting with here.
Old 09-20-06, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DayQuil, Actifed and the like are for colds. Get an anti-histimine.

I buy the cheapo "Aller-Clear" at Costco. It's the same drug as Claritin. It seems to last all day, excellent stuff.
Old 09-20-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by parker63
I think I may be joining this wonderful group now. Over the last four days the sneezing, stuffy head and sore throat have been getting worse and worse...decided to call in sick today and try to see a doctor to confirm whether or not it's allergies or a cold or something else.

For those who have dealt with allergies: are body/muscle aches common with allergies? Just trying to get a better idea of what I'm fighting with here.
That's definitely a cold. Allergies make you feel itchy and uncomfortable. Your eyes itch, your nose runs, you sneeze all day, you might get a headache from the congestion. It's hard to explain to someone who's never experienced it (lucky bastards), but it's a maddening feeling: sort of an itchy/irritating slow drowning.

Aches/pains/sore throat/feeling tired= cold.
Old 09-20-06, 09:55 AM
Banned

I dunno. I've gotten the aches/pains/sore throat and it was definitely allergies. I don't usually get them right away. And they don't last for very long...but they may happen somewhere during the course of it all.
Old 04-22-07, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well folks, it's that time of year. I lived in bliss during the April cold snap, but I knew as soon as it warmed up I'd be feeling like crap. I couldn't get Claritin-D last night because of fucking meth addicts (the pharmacy was closed).

Anyone else "enjoying" spring?
Old 04-22-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yah, it is fucking brutal. A few days ago I was trying to figure out why I woke up and felt like I was wearingg a mask. For 2-3 days I thought I had a cold till I remembered what was going on.
Old 04-22-07, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used to suffer on a daily basis from my allergies at home. sneezing attacks, running nose, headaches, stuffy nose, the works-

Last year around fall (sept-oct), it escalated to the point where each day was a living hell. I wasnt sleeping, and/or working. I desperately tried about every single OTC medicene and several prescription medicenes from my dr. My problems still persisted-

But then I bought a Honeywell HEPA air purifier, and it completely cleared up my allergy problems. Within a matter of days. It also had a wonderful side effect, the gentle "white noise" sound of the purifer helped me sleep. its like a sound machine and an air purifer.

So, if you havent tried one and have bad allergies at home, TRY IT! It was probably one of the best things i ever bought in my whole life. Not to mention, i havent had to shell out $45.00 a month for my claritin anymore, so the purifer has allready paid for itself
Old 04-23-07, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by skiblet
But then I bought a Honeywell HEPA air purifier,
Which model did you buy. I am very curious about getting one. Thanks
Old 04-23-07, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
I use Claratin (well, being a cheapskate, I use generic Loratadine, which I buy from Dollar General for 10 cents a tablet) with great results.

I don't miss allergies, but I do miss digitalfreaknyc. [/pours some of my forty out for him]
Old 04-23-07, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have been taking Singulair every evening and it has made a world of difference for me. Sometimes when it is the high point of grass cutting season i will also take some loratadine but Singulair by far made the biggest improvement.

I may have to look into that air purifier thing... it might help some with my cats and the like.
Old 04-23-07, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by skiblet
I used to suffer on a daily basis from my allergies at home. sneezing attacks, running nose, headaches, stuffy nose, the works-

Last year around fall (sept-oct), it escalated to the point where each day was a living hell. I wasnt sleeping, and/or working. I desperately tried about every single OTC medicene and several prescription medicenes from my dr. My problems still persisted-

But then I bought a Honeywell HEPA air purifier, and it completely cleared up my allergy problems. Within a matter of days. It also had a wonderful side effect, the gentle "white noise" sound of the purifer helped me sleep. its like a sound machine and an air purifer.

So, if you havent tried one and have bad allergies at home, TRY IT! It was probably one of the best things i ever bought in my whole life. Not to mention, i havent had to shell out $45.00 a month for my claritin anymore, so the purifer has allready paid for itself
I thought Geoff had gotten rid of the in-post ads?
Old 05-05-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Time for the yearly spring bump. I don't know what the fuck is wrong with me, but no antihistimine works on me. Benadryl, Claritin, Allegra, Zyrtec... they all fall in the face of my allergies. Decongestants don't do shit. Eyedrops work for about an hour. Someone suggested I try Benadryl and I laughed in her face.

I mean, my chin itches right now. What the fuck, trees.

And people wonder why I hate spring.
Old 05-05-08, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I haven't had a bit of allergies this season so far. It's been wet on and off, so I think that helps. Last season, barely anything worked for me, too. When it starts, I'll just pick the prettiest packaging and then work down from there until something starts working...
Old 05-05-08, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last year was an absolute living hell. I said screw it, i can't take this anymore. Went on the allergy shots in October. Got injected practically every single week, and am now on the highest dosage. I feel fantastic, take that Spring, mwahahahaha........
Old 05-05-08, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Tracer, I'm kind of in your boat. I take a cocktail of Zyrtec and Claritin. Well, the cheap generic kind. It works until I go to bed and I always wake up stuffy.

If you allergies are bad enough, I think you can get shots. I may have to if this keeps up for more than a few weeks. Stupid plant semen.
Old 05-05-08, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, its hitting me pretty hard right now... Funny never had these problems back home, but they seem to get worse and worse each year here and right now its the worst its been. I dont even know where to start with the meds. I guess Ill give Claritin a shot as that seems to be the most popular.
Old 05-05-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus
Tracer, I'm kind of in your boat. I take a cocktail of Zyrtec and Claritin. Well, the cheap generic kind. It works until I go to bed and I always wake up stuffy.
I've recently found that a humidifier works wonders for nighttime stuffiness. Of course the only problem is that it's often too warm to sleep with the window closed.
Old 05-05-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't have any problems last year, but the past two weeks have been a living hell for my eyes. They itch and burn like they are full of fire ants.
Old 05-05-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I recommend these herbal pills. No side effects and it's herbal, so it can't get you sick/sore throat like the over-the-counter meds:

ALLER-MAX

You can find it at The Vitamin Shoppe

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.