Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Study: US mothers deserve $134,121 in salary

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: Who does the writer apparently think should be the payer of this salary?
The parents of the child.
3
5.08%
The government.
1
1.69%
The magical salary fairy.
46
77.97%
Other.
9
15.25%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Study: US mothers deserve $134,121 in salary

Old 05-04-06, 04:03 PM
  #51  
Mod Emeritus
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Gone to the islands - 'til we meet again.
Posts: 19,053
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WildcatLH
You are really misreading what the article is saying.

The same article comes out every year. It has for as far back as I can remember. The only thing the article says... is that *IF* the average mother was doing all these jobs AS A JOB, and not as a parent, that's how much they'd make a year. Really. That's it. Nothing more.
Well, there is a *little* more... the fact that they add in "jobs" that most mothers would never be qualified for then over compensate them for doing those "jobs".

The reality is that US Mothers deserve $0 in salary... or US Fathers, US non-mothers, and US non-fathers also deserve huge salaries for doing the everyday things that all of us do. That's to say, the "research" is bunch of crap designed to get US Mothers to buy magazines and papers (and to watch TV shows) that promote this as realistic.
Old 05-04-06, 04:22 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Kittydreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 13,605
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dead
Well, there is a *little* more... the fact that they add in "jobs" that most mothers would never be qualified for then over compensate them for doing those "jobs".

The reality is that US Mothers deserve $0 in salary... or US Fathers, US non-mothers, and US non-fathers also deserve huge salaries for doing the everyday things that all of us do. That's to say, the "research" is bunch of crap designed to get US Mothers to buy magazines and papers (and to watch TV shows) that promote this as realistic.
Any day, you name it, Dead. You want my job?!? I'd gladly let you see how much "work" I do in one day.
Old 05-04-06, 04:25 PM
  #53  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germany
Posts: 95
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So let me get this straight... (for reading comprehension purposes)

The liberal media is the enemy for suggesting that a stay-at-home mother's value is $134,000 and that maybe we do not appreciate what they do.

Conservatives believe that anyone could do the job, mother's are just looking for a handout from the government, and that they should be thankful they have a husband to provide a roof over her head to help care for his children.

Did I miss anything?
Old 05-04-06, 04:35 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 14,204
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mseang
So let me get this straight... (for reading comprehension purposes)...


I will speak to you in plain, simple English. And that brings us to tonight's word: 'truthiness.'

Now I'm sure some of the 'word police,' the 'wordanistas' over at Webster's are gonna say, 'Hey, that's not a word.' Well, anyone who knows me knows I'm no fan of dictionaries or reference books....

I don't trust books. They're all fact, no heart. And that's exactly what's pulling our country apart today. 'Cause face it, folks; we are a divided nation. Not between Democrats and Republicans, or conservatives and liberals, or tops and bottoms. No, we are divided between those who think with their head, and those who know with their heart...
Old 05-04-06, 04:42 PM
  #55  
Moderator
 
Jadzia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,799
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The hardest part about being a mother is that it is a 24 hour a day job, with no breaks. I can't think of any other "real" job that is like that.
Old 05-04-06, 04:51 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner
 
Bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: the 870
Posts: 21,954
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts







Old 05-04-06, 04:56 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Shackled
Posts: 35,372
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jadzia
The hardest part about being a mother is that it is a 24 hour a day job, with no breaks. I can't think of any other "real" job that is like that.
Well, that's a bit of hyperbole. You are on call for a lot of that time but not working.

Also, some people with "real" jobs are also parents. I'm not sure they have it easier than stay at home Moms.

I'm extremely pro "stay at home" Mom. My own Mother was one. But I think it is silly to try to play the "who has it worse" card, for either group.
Old 05-04-06, 05:07 PM
  #58  
Moderator
 
Jadzia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,799
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bushdog
Well, that's a bit of hyperbole. You are on call for a lot of that time but not working.
You obviously have never met my son.
The first few months I was hardly able to ever eat or use the bathroom. He is a wonderful child, but since birth he has been alert, wide-eyed and constantly in need of attention.

As he gets older, it is nice that he is now able to play and keep himself occupied for longer periods of time, but toddlers his age are so quick and they can get into something and get hurt so easily. You realy can never let your guard down which is a huge responsibility.

Also, some people with "real" jobs are also parents. I'm not sure they have it easier than stay at home Moms.
But peope who work outside the home usually have other people watching their children during the day.

We have friends with a son the same age as ours, and he is day care all day. They also put him to bed at like 7pm every night, so I think they only really see him about 3 hours of the day.
Old 05-04-06, 05:08 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,767
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't think parents really are rntitled to anything for just taking care of their own kids.

However, they may be entitled to some gratitude and appreciation from their kids, but that is it because the thing always will be that the child didn't ask to be born. The parents made it happen, not the child and thus the parents have no right to complain to their kid about how hard it is to take care of them.

The real bonus is that if you raised a good kid, he may increase your ROI like maybe when you're sick or unable to care for yourself, he or she will certainly take care of you.
Old 05-04-06, 07:37 PM
  #60  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bremerton WA
Posts: 7,847
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
I work 40 hours a week, my wife works 40 hours a week, and we don't use daycare at all for my 2 year old son. Either one of us would rather be a stay at home parent. IT ISN'T THAT HARD LADIES!
Old 05-04-06, 07:46 PM
  #61  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,016
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's pretty clear who should pick up the tab: the kids. Make that lazy 4-year-old of yours get a job, already!
Old 05-04-06, 08:27 PM
  #62  
Moderator
 
Jadzia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,799
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
I work 40 hours a week, my wife works 40 hours a week, and we don't use daycare at all for my 2 year old son. Either one of us would rather be a stay at home parent. IT ISN'T THAT HARD LADIES!
Same here. I work from home and my husband comes home from the office at lunch and also when I need to go to client meetings.

I manage to get it all done, but please don't me when was the last time I vacuumed.

I wish I could quit my job so I could take my son to playgroups and bake more and make my house spotless. Although, who I am kidding, if I didn't have a job I'd probably just watch TV all day. "Not now honey, Mommy's got to clean out her Tivo."
Old 05-04-06, 08:46 PM
  #63  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 12,295
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
"Not now honey, Mommy's got to clean out her Tivo."
I don't think that kind of filth talk is appropriate for young children.
Old 05-04-06, 09:15 PM
  #64  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 3,137
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
Any day, you name it, Dead. You want my job?!? I'd gladly let you see how much "work" I do in one day.
You perform tasks, but you're not doing a job. You raise your children and keep your life in order. We all do the same. I clean my room...it's not a job, it's living. I wash my clothes, I'm not working, I'm leading my life. If I were to go and clean somebody else's house, cook their food or do their laundry, I'd be working because I'd be providing services for somebody else. You can't provide services for yourself and call it a job.

In short, there's a vast difference between fulfilling one's own responsibilities and performing a job.

-JP
Old 05-04-06, 09:32 PM
  #65  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Kittydreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 13,605
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
You perform tasks, but you're not doing a job. You raise your children and keep your life in order. We all do the same. I clean my room...it's not a job, it's living. I wash my clothes, I'm not working, I'm leading my life. If I were to go and clean somebody else's house, cook their food or do their laundry, I'd be working because I'd be providing services for somebody else. You can't provide services for yourself and call it a job.

In short, there's a vast difference between fulfilling one's own responsibilities and performing a job.

-JP
You are wrong on so many levels. Unless you have done what I do, you have no fucking right to tell me that I can't call it a job.
Old 05-04-06, 09:35 PM
  #66  
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work full time. My wife works more than full time. So other than when the child is at day care, we still have to raise the child, cook, clean, do laundry, entertain the child, pay the bills, mow the lawn, etc. In other words, all the stuff a stay at home mom does. And we have 8 fewer hours a day to do accomplish this. It's not like the day care teachers are coming over to do all these things for us.

I'm not saying that being a SAHM is an easy task. I know it's not. I just think it's absurd to say that there is monetary value placed on what they do, when in fact, every household with two working parents must accomplish the same tasks, in arguably fewer hours.
Old 05-04-06, 10:21 PM
  #67  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 3,137
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
You are wrong on so many levels. Unless you have done what I do, you have no fucking right to tell me that I can't call it a job.
Condescending much? If you think I'm wrong, you're going to have to post something a bit more convincing than, "you're fucking wrong because, like, you don't know what you're talking about!"

No, I don't do exactly what you do. However, I do have my own set of responsibilities. I care for my dog. I care for myself. I work to keep my apartment clean. I cook for myself and my roommate. I do dishes, take out the trash, wash clothes...I have a to-do list like anybody else. Do I consider any of these things a part of my job? Of course not. Merely handling the responsibilities that come with adulthood doesn't mean that you have a job. I spend countless hours a week studying, writing papers, and doing various homework assignments. You spending countless hours caring for your children. Are either of us performing an occupation? Of fucking course not. We're simply handling our responsibilities.

If I take an hour out of my day to shower, make my bed, do the dishes, take out the trash and replace a few light bulbs that need changing...does that mean that I've been "at my job" for an hour? Of course not. By your logic, any time that we don't spend sitting in front of the computer or TV is time that we're "at work." Doing the tasks necessary to care for yourself and your child (or pet, or parents, or whatever other responsibility you've chosen to take on) does not mean that you have a job.

-JP
Old 05-04-06, 10:25 PM
  #68  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Kittydreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 13,605
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, now do all of that while nursing a baby, recovering from a c-section and dealing with a special needs child. Yes, it is my job. I'm done with you. Welcome to my ignore list.
Old 05-04-06, 10:28 PM
  #69  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 3,137
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who is your employer? Do you receive a paycheck? Do you provide a service to the general public? Do you pay income taxes to the government? Can I seek out your services?

What's that...the answer to all of those questions is no? Then you don't have a fucking job, you have responsibilities, just like any other adult. You're done with me? If I had as baseless an opinion as you, I'd put me on ignore too.

-JP
Old 05-04-06, 10:31 PM
  #70  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,767
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Technically, I think a job is defined as a set of responsibilities or tasks. The issue in this thread probably is whether they should be paid for it.
Old 05-04-06, 10:33 PM
  #71  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 3,137
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So a nine year old who has a set of responabilities or tasks ("clean your room and take out the trash") has a job? As if.

-JP
Old 05-04-06, 10:37 PM
  #72  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,767
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, if he gets an allowance for it...
Old 05-04-06, 10:41 PM
  #73  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 3,137
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So if he doesn't get paid for it, he doesn't have a job? Exactly.

Edit to say that this is a lazy response from me, because even if he gets an allowance I don't consider it a job...but I don't want to go that in depth about a hypothetical asking whether or not a 9 year old getting an allowance for cleaning his room is an "employee." At least not yet.

-JP

Last edited by NatrlBornThrllr; 05-04-06 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-04-06, 10:51 PM
  #74  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Kittydreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 13,605
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Condescending much? If you think I'm wrong, you're going to have to post something a bit more convincing than, "you're fucking wrong because, like, you don't know what you're talking about!"

No, I don't do exactly what you do. However, I do have my own set of responsibilities. I care for my dog. I care for myself. I work to keep my apartment clean. I cook for myself and my roommate. I do dishes, take out the trash, wash clothes...I have a to-do list like anybody else. Do I consider any of these things a part of my job? Of course not. Merely handling the responsibilities that come with adulthood doesn't mean that you have a job. I spend countless hours a week studying, writing papers, and doing various homework assignments. You spending countless hours caring for your children. Are either of us performing an occupation? Of fucking course not. We're simply handling our responsibilities.

If I take an hour out of my day to shower, make my bed, do the dishes, take out the trash and replace a few light bulbs that need changing...does that mean that I've been "at my job" for an hour? Of course not. By your logic, any time that we don't spend sitting in front of the computer or TV is time that we're "at work." Doing the tasks necessary to care for yourself and your child (or pet, or parents, or whatever other responsibility you've chosen to take on) does not mean that you have a job.

-JP

It just hit me. You're a student. Now I understand where you're coming from. You have never had to take care of someone else and be 100% responsible for anyone but yourself. I think you are seeing things through your own eyes and not trying to see the way someone like me (sahm for the last 9 years) thinks. I have a job. My employer is my husband and my children. I get spending money when I desire it so yeah, I do get paid. The difference between my job and your job is when you get off of work at the end of the day, your job is done. My job is 24 hours a day, from the day my child was born until the day I die. You don't understand because you're not a parent. One day, maybe, after you've grown a bit and had kids of your own you may understand how some of moms feel about this thread. It's very degrading, insulting and ignorant. Walk a mile in my shoes, then come tell me how to you want to lable me.
Old 05-04-06, 10:53 PM
  #75  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,767
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
OK. Forget about the 9-year old. I'll bring up my own example.

How about volunteer work? I tutor some kids. I don't get paid for it but some places might pay me. Although I can put that work experience on a resume and benefit from it. Do I have a job or responsibilities?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.