Reload this Page >

Attention coffee addicts...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 04-04-06, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've been working on creating a better cup of coffee b/c I hate having to buy a $2 cup every morning. But so far nothing I made tastes quite as good as what I can buy at work from the thousand dollar industrial espresso maker. I liked the French press system because it was relatively fast and cheap. However, my coffee kept coming out with this sour-bitter taste that was just bad. I finally did a little online searching and found out that it's because I was using freshly boiled water. Apparently, the water needs to be under 200 degrees otherwise acids and oils leech out of the grind. So I tried a lower temperature and it worked a little better, but that sour taste was still there.

So I started an online search and found this system called an Aeropress and it looked like what I needed. But THEN, I found a link to a Digg story talking about it and there were a couple comments about another system called the Toddy which uses COLD water to brew the coffee. It sounded crazy, but as I read about it, it actually started to make sense. And at $35, I was perfectly willing to try.

So anyhow, I ran out and grabbed one from a Cost Plus Market this afternoon and immediately started up a batch. At 7:47 AM tomorrow, I will be tasting this coffee to see if I can finally stop buying $2 cups of coffee from Starbucks and the other corporations feeding upon my addiction. I'll report back sometime tomorrow.

Anyone used the Aeropress and/or Toddy and can comment on them?

Last edited by hahn; 04-04-06 at 01:31 AM.
Old 04-04-06, 01:36 AM

You just simply will not make a better cup of coffee than you can buy with a $35 machine. Coffee should be processed quickly under pressure to ensure that only desired flavors are extracted.

This link will take you to the coffee maker you need to buy.

http://www.capresso.com/prod_super.html

I realize that this is expensive. I discovered these machines here in Germany and honestly do not know what I was drinking before and why I bothered with automatic drip coffee. I bought my machine 18 months ago and simply could no longer live without it.

As for the cost, I looked at my lawnmower ($350), our Vacuum cleaner ($200), and my grill ($350) and could not for the life of me understand why I only spent $40 on my coffee maker. I use the lawnmower once a week, the vacuum once a week, the grill one to three times a week, but I use my coffee maker multiple times everyday. The economics no loner made since. I was depriving myself in the coffee department.

The initial investment was high at over $800 (this is the low end), but I almost never purchase coffee away from my home, except an occasional espresso after a nice meal in a restaurant. At $4 a pop, I believe I have just about paid for my coffee maker at this point.

If you really love coffee, which it sounds like you do, this is the only way to go.

When you are really ready for great coffee, this is simply the best coffee in the world, bar none.

http://www.illyusa.com/index.cfm
Old 04-04-06, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

<-----Starbuck's bitch
Old 04-04-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am starbuck's bitch for $1.75 about 2 days a week when I don't wake up at home. The other 3-4 days I drink coffee, I make my own.

I noticed the secret to a good cup coffee (well, better than starbucks), is to buy a better coffee bean. I was S's bitch and ended up buying the personal brewer from starbucks (because I became oh so close with the employees everyday, I got a decent hook-up). It came with a pound of coffee, and that was the worse coffee that has come out of the machine. Plus the coffee I buy is about 1/2 the price, and uses about 2/3rds the amount for a stonger flavor.

If your in a rush in the morning, use the timer. If you need espresso, invest in a good machine like mseang says.
Old 04-04-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
I don't care for the machines that use those coffee cartridges - they turn out to be rather expensive - and one that a friend had stopped making the cartridges, and he was shit-out-of-luck.

(oh, and as a coffee lover, I HATE Starbucks - it's like burnt coffee).

I'm the bitch of the local, independant coffee shop, that for some reason has the most beautiful women working there, and they're super nice - seeing them every morning almost makes it all worth it.

Last edited by slop101; 04-04-06 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-04-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Check out this "recipe" for coffee at home from Good Eats' Alton Brown. Or catch the episode in repeats (it is entitled "True Brew")

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._10020,00.html

One of the biggest problems is that most people don't use enough coffee grounds when making a pot. You need 2 Tbsp per 6 oz of water.

(If anyone has seen the episode and knows where to buy one of those thermoses that Alton uses when brewing, let me know!)
Old 04-04-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just get a lb bag of Dunkin Dounts original and use my press at my desk everyday.
Old 04-04-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't listen to this guy. He's obviously a shill. He just waited six and a half years and 6,000 posts to finally post an ad.

The Bus recommends Chock Full o' Nuts Coffee
It's time to taste New York's Heavenly Coffee™!
Old 04-04-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow. Not bad. Not bad at ALL. I just made my first cup. Mixed it about 1:2 hot milk. I believe this is the first time I have ever made coffee that was anywhere close to the commercial stuff. It's still a little weird to me that you can extract flavor out of a coffee with just cold water, but by god it works! Must go experiment now with other dilutions and try it with boiling water to see if it comes close to my beloved Americano.

Oh, and btw, if you've never had coffee with practically zero acidity, you should give this stuff a try. Apparently it's recommended for reflux sufferers or people who usually can't drink coffee because of the acidity. As a result, ZERO bitterness or sourness.

Also, Seattle's Best uses a giant Toddy device to make their iced coffee so there is some legitimacy to this device. Anyhow, will report in as I try other recipes...

Last edited by hahn; 04-04-06 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-04-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 04-04-06, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Coffee's supposed to taste like crap. If you like the taste of coffee, you don't like coffee and are a poser! No sugar or cream, either!
Old 04-04-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Coffee smells so wonderful, and tastes like ass. Just the way it is. I brew a pot just to smell it, and then drink some diet coke.
Old 04-04-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Smart and Final sells some really fucking awesome coffee cheap. 7 bucks for 3 pounds or something of this amazing vanilla bean stuff that's amazing. Get yourself a good french press for 7 bucks at Target or Wal-Mart and then use your existing drip maker to heat the water.
Old 04-04-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Coffee smells so wonderful, and tastes like ass. Just the way it is. I brew a pot just to smell it, and then drink some diet coke.
Ultimate proof you are a twisted man.

So anyhow, I tried another cup made Americano style and did a blind taste test with a cup of Starbuck's Americano. I picked this one 3 out of 3 times!!! I tested it black. I think it's the first time I can ever say that black coffee is tolerable. I actually think I like it! I just might be able to wean myself from the commercial stuff! Oh, and all this testing is going to keep me up WAY past midnight tonight.
Old 04-04-06, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really wish I liked coffee because of the social stigma in the Pacific NW of not liking it, but just can't. I like it when you add all sorts of crap to it and no longer have coffee, but that feels like cheating.
Old 04-04-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think the problem with your french press tasting bitter could be thr grind. You may be using too fine of a grind for it - or letting it brew too long. Nothing, and I mean nothing, comes close to a perfectly pulled shot of espresso though.

As mseang said above, your best bet would be a good machine. I use my super-auto pretty much 3-5 days per week. I have a Saeco Magic DeLuxe that I got from www.wholelattelove.com almost 4 years ago, and it's been my favorite appliance ever. Starbucks can't touch the stuff I make with this machine. It took me some experimenting to get the grind and the water amount to balance out, but it's been nothing but smooth since then.

I also picked up some beans from this place www.theroasterie.com recently, after reading a few strong reviews for their fair-trade espresso blend...and I'll be damned if it's not some of the best I've had. Their Breakfast Blend is fantastic too (in a regular auto-drip coffee maker).
Old 04-04-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Morf
Check out this "recipe" for coffee at home from Good Eats' Alton Brown. Or catch the episode in repeats (it is entitled "True Brew")

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._10020,00.html

One of the biggest problems is that most people don't use enough coffee grounds when making a pot. You need 2 Tbsp per 6 oz of water.

(If anyone has seen the episode and knows where to buy one of those thermoses that Alton uses when brewing, let me know!)
I also was going to mention Alton Brown's Good Eats episode. He also notes that coffee much be brewed at a certain temperature otherwise you get that bitter tasting temperature.

Go to www.foodtv.com and check the show Good Eats. Look at the schedule and see when the True Brew episode is airing next. Watch it. Make good coffee.

edit: Here I even found it for you. Record it.

April 13, 2006 11:00 PM ET/PT
April 14, 2006 2:00 AM ET/PT
April 20, 2006 7:00 PM ET/PT
Old 04-04-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My first french press brew is like crap when compared to now - which is much improved because I am using boiled water, fine tuned grind and I also time the brewing process.

Some variety of coffee does have somekind of acidity, but acid is not sour. Sour coffee is the result of bad grind or improper brewing technique.

I have never used Toddy but I have heard good word about it.

Also you might want to check intellegentsia for good coffee. I haven't tried it myself, but I also have heard good words about the coffee. A lot of true coffee addict bought green beans and roast it themselves though.

Starbucks = Charbucks. Period.
Old 04-04-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

hahn - with the Toddy device, do you have to make a ton of coffee at once or can you just make a cup or two?

I think I might like to try it, but someone here I work with said you have to brew a lot of coffee at once with that device.
Old 04-04-06, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mseang
You just simply will not make a better cup of coffee than you can buy with a $35 machine. Coffee should be processed quickly under pressure to ensure that only desired flavors are extracted.

This link will take you to the coffee maker you need to buy.

http://www.capresso.com/prod_super.html

I realize that this is expensive. I discovered these machines here in Germany and honestly do not know what I was drinking before and why I bothered with automatic drip coffee. I bought my machine 18 months ago and simply could no longer live without it.

As for the cost, I looked at my lawnmower ($350), our Vacuum cleaner ($200), and my grill ($350) and could not for the life of me understand why I only spent $40 on my coffee maker. I use the lawnmower once a week, the vacuum once a week, the grill one to three times a week, but I use my coffee maker multiple times everyday. The economics no loner made since. I was depriving myself in the coffee department.

The initial investment was high at over $800 (this is the low end), but I almost never purchase coffee away from my home, except an occasional espresso after a nice meal in a restaurant. At $4 a pop, I believe I have just about paid for my coffee maker at this point.

If you really love coffee, which it sounds like you do, this is the only way to go.

When you are really ready for great coffee, this is simply the best coffee in the world, bar none.

http://www.illyusa.com/index.cfm
My parents gave my wife and me a Capresso last Christmas, and I agree that it is the perfect machine. If the Capresso and my car broke down at the same time, and money was tight, I'd start walking and fix the Capresso.
Old 04-04-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I really wish I liked coffee because of the social stigma in the Pacific NW of not liking it, but just can't. I like it when you add all sorts of crap to it and no longer have coffee, but that feels like cheating.
Me too. I've always felt I haven't fully grown up because I don't like coffee.

A few years ago I started with the Frappacino's or French Vanilla Cappuchino (sp?). I always have so much cream, sugar or flavorings it just doesn't count as coffee.
Old 04-04-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by 4KRG
hahn - with the Toddy device, do you have to make a ton of coffee at once or can you just make a cup or two?

I think I might like to try it, but someone here I work with said you have to brew a lot of coffee at once with that device.
You do brew a lot at once. However, what you're making is coffee concentrate. It can be stowed in the fridge for at least two weeks with no change in flavor at all. So when you make up a cup of coffee, you can make as much or as little as you want. That was highly appealing to me because I tend to throw away most of the coffee I make. From the amount that I got from my first batch, I'm estimating it'll last me at least 2 weeks if not more. So basically, you only need to brew one or two times per month depending on how strong you like your coffee and how much you like to drink.

This stuff is like 100% flavor. It actually tastes like the beans smell. I'm going to have to try a batch of Illy next since I know what a perfect cup of Illy tastes like and see how it matches up.

Last edited by hahn; 04-04-06 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-04-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I'd love an espresso machine, but #1 they're way too expensive for me right now. And #2, they require a lot of maintenance. From what I hear, you need to keep that thing practically sterilized otherwise even a tiny amount of buildup will lead to acrid tasting cofffee.
Old 04-04-06, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the info. I guess that could work out if I had a gallon sized container to keep in the fridge.... I might have to try one of those.
Old 04-04-06, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ugh

I drink plenty of coffee. Liberally dosed with something to make it drinkable. Bring on the international delight creamers.

IMO coffee without a liberal dose of vanilla, chocolate or carmel is like Kool-Aid without the sugar.

I recommend Tim Horton's Cafe Mocha for $1.82. Best coffee deal IMO, I drive out and grab one on those I-didn't-get-any-sleep nightshifts.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.