Reload this Page >

Smoothie Recipes?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Smoothie Recipes?

Old 03-26-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoothie Recipes?

Anybody want to post their personal smoothie recipes? Most of the stuff I've found online include yogurt.. and I've found that makes them WAY too thick. I did one recipe (2 frozen bananas, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 cup yogurt) and it was killer thick.. tried the next day with 1/2 cup yogurt and yet again.. major thickness.

Should I invest in adding vitamins to them as well for an added boost? I'm mainly looking for a way to kick my zombie ass into gear in the mornings and this seems to be a pretty easy way to make something to take to work with me.
Old 03-26-06, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Two peaches, or two bananas, or equivalent of strawberries, or whatever.
16 oz milk.
Fill the blender to the top with ice.

Any thickness comes from the ice, and if it's too thick I wait a little. I use my smoothies for cooling and rehydration during the summer.
Old 03-26-06, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try using liquid eggwhites instead. They come pastuerized in cartons.
Old 03-26-06, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Frozen fruit + yogurt + a little skim milk = yummy smoothie. Just keep changing things around until you figure out what you like.

Here's a really good one and is full of protein: Mmmmmmm
Old 03-26-06, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I'll hit the mall sometime this week and find out what Thirsty's puts in theirs.
Old 03-26-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's probably the bananas that are making it thick more than the yogurt. Add some milk to unthicken it. Even water or ice.

When I was onto them, I'd blend some ice, then mix a cup or so of soy milk, couple tablespoons of honey, half a banana (don't really like them in drinks), few spoons of yogurt and sometimes a bit of fruit. Oh, and some psyllium powder if needed. In the end, if it was too thick I'd just add more soy milk.
Old 03-26-06, 11:25 PM

Chitownabs and I bought a 6 pack of frozen smoothies at Costco. All you do is add ice and juice and you're all set. They're actually really yummy.
Old 03-27-06, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Banana, 1 cup of fresh strawberries, 1 cup of frozen blueberries, 1/2 cup of orange juice.
Old 03-27-06, 08:29 AM

Four big scoops of vanilla ice cream, a little milk, some Hershey's syrup, and if it's a summer day, a dash of peppermint extract. That's a damn good smoothie.
Old 03-27-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't have exact measurements, but I've been using this for over a year and I've lost a little over 100 pounds in that time...

Non-fat Vanilla Yogurt
1 scoop whey protein, vanilla flavor
Frozen peaches
Frozen blueberries
Frozen strawberries
1 banana
Skim Milk

It's excellent-tasting and the only way I'll be sure to get all my fruits in.
Old 03-27-06, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, such a variety of ways to make these things. Good call on the banana, I'll try 1 banana next time. I like kilcher's recipe, nice and simple.
Old 03-27-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I never buy fluid milk unless I'm in the mood for eating cold cereal, which is almost never. I use powdered milk for cooking and for recipes that call for milk. It's much cheaper and keeps forever.

One of my favorite smoothies is made with a single-serving carton of nonfat vanilla yoghurt, a banana, a tbsp. of peanut butter, and a tbsp. of wheat germ. You can thin it to the desired consistency with a little mixed powdered milk.
Old 03-27-06, 01:08 PM

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I'm mainly looking for a way to kick my zombie ass into gear in the mornings and this seems to be a pretty easy way to make something to take to work with me.
I feel your pain on this one; I asked a doctor once what I could eat in the mornings that would wake me up more, and they suggested pineapple or orange juice... I think it was the high fructose content? Not sure. Another friend who's an RD also suggested pineapple juice, and I noticed it adds a nice tang and sweetness to smoothies when I make them.

Protein will keep you going longer if you can add protein to the smoothie (one reason so many have yogurt, I imagine), or if you're not allergic to soy like some of us, you can add protein powder.
Old 03-27-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any got one that promotes studying? I thought I heard of a brain builder combo like nonfat yogurt(without corn syrup crap), soy and flax oil but I not sure how go about it outside of finding some all natural dannon yogurt.
Old 03-27-06, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by madara
Any got one that promotes studying? I thought I heard of a brain builder combo like nonfat yogurt(without corn syrup crap), soy and flax oil but I not sure how go about it outside of finding some all natural dannon yogurt.
The best motivation for study is very simple: imagine a life in which your major interaction with other human beings during the workday consists of saying "Coffee now or later?" or perhaps "May I take a message?"

Old 03-31-06, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Wow, such a variety of ways to make these things. Good call on the banana, I'll try 1 banana next time. I like kilcher's recipe, nice and simple.
Sounds like a yummy recipe, but I'd add some protein to it if I were you since you said you wanted a bit of a boost in the morning. Some whole milk or yogurt would do the trick nicely. Or, like someone else said, protein powder.
Old 05-18-06, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BUMP!!!

Getting into "The Abs Diet" by David Zinczenko and it seems one of the big deals is smoothies. I've got my blender, but I'm curious about the diff. between frozen fruits and fresh fruits. When I see "frozen strawberries" in the line up...well, I don't have any of those, but I've got plenty of fresh!

If I DO need frozen instead of fresh, do ya just toss 'em in the freezer, or is there something special to be done.

Oh yeah....and is one cup of frozen strawberries the same as one cup of fresh?

A quick response is appreciated, the blender is waiting!
Old 05-18-06, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just buy the bags of frozen strawberries in the frozen food aisle of your local grocery store. They last a LOT longer and they're a lot easier. No special preparation, just throw the whole bag in the freezer and pull it out when you need some.

And yes, the measurements are pretty much the same either way.