Cool link. Thanks!
Old 03-26-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Budd Dwyer video =
Old 03-26-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting stuff. Reminds me a lot of the old Book of Lists.
Old 03-26-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not the way I thought Jack Daniels would've gone out.
Old 03-26-06, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's no way for a man to die

No... you're right, Ed. A parachute not opening... that's a way to die. Getting caught in the gears of a combine... having your nuts bit off by a Laplander, that's the way I wanna go.
Old 03-26-06, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, there was this woman who shut herself up in a dishwasher, and scalded/drowned herself...
Old 03-26-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A homeless man killed to collect his life insurance
Michael Malloy, a homeless man, was murdered by gassing after surviving multiple poisonings, intentional exposure, and being struck by a car. Malloy was murdered by five men in a plot to collect on life insurance policies they'd purchased. (1933)
They made that into a good episode of Amazing Stories.
Old 03-26-06, 02:08 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I want to be shot at the age of 96.....

.....by the jealous husband of a 29 year old model while I was "with" her.
Old 03-26-06, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Interesting stuff. Reminds me a lot of the old Book of Lists.
Best.Bathroom.Book.Ever
Old 03-26-06, 06:51 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

that video of that news reporter chick who killed herself. anyone have that. I've seen that politician one before, but not her.
Old 03-26-06, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they got the details of the Brandon Lee death wrong. I had always heard that it was a shell casing of a blank that ejected and entered his spine.
Old 03-26-06, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I think they got the details of the Brandon Lee death wrong. I had always heard that it was a shell casing of a blank that ejected and entered his spine.
I don't remember the exact story, but there's no way in hell that a bullet casing could ever kill a person, let alone break the skin.
Old 03-27-06, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I watched the special on what happened, and while I can't remember exactly it was something like (and I'm no gun dude, so excuse me if I don't use the right vocabulary),

Prior to the accident, the gun was used for close up so they put a bullet in the gun with no charge on the cap. The trigger was pulled and evidently there was enough power in the cap alone to push the bullet in the barrel of the gun without anyone knowing it. The gun sat for weeks like that until it was used where it killed him. They checked the chamber for anything, but evidently did not check the barrel, so when the "full blank" was put in (cap and powder but no bullet) they were unaware of a bullet in the barrel. When it was fired, the full charged kicked the bullet out with enough force to kill him.

If I remember right, there were no charges filed against anyone. The police felt there were many "small" mistakes made but no single large mistake to warrant criminal action.
Old 03-27-06, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, I was close, but not exactly right,

As filming finally neared completion, eight days from wrap to be exact, yet another accident would rock the slip-shod production. Several prop masters, in an attempt to save time and money, made a grave decision regarding some bullet cartridges that were to be used for a scene involving a close-up shot of a handgun being fired. During the scene, the gun was loaded with "dummy" cartridges, which are used for close-up shots because they contain the actual projectile on the end of the cartridge but contain no gunpowder. (It looks more realistic if the viewer can see the bullet tips in the pistol's cylinders.) It seems that the prop department didn't have any of these "dummy" cartridges on hand, so rather than shut down the production for the night, some Bozo decided that he'd "rig" some of the live rounds. They removed the gunpowder from the cartridges and replaced the bullet tips thereby giving them the "dummy' rounds that were needed for the close-up shots. At some point, one of the tips would unknowingly come loose from the cartridge and lodge itself in the barrel or cylinder of the handgun. (The subsequent investigation never conclusively determined how or why the bullet tip came dislodged.) This seemingly innocuous oversight would not only set up the tragic event that ended up shutting down production after all, but it would also provide Morbidly Hollywood® with its next fascinating tale of death and morbidity.

As shooting of the close-up scenes finally wrapped, it was now time to move on to the scene in question. It would call for a wide shot of Brandon's character being shot from a handgun that was loaded with "blank" cartridges. These blanks were loaded into the handgun not knowing that somewhere in the barrel or cylinder, there was a whole or piece of a dislodged bullet. "Blank" cartridges are different from "dummy" cartridges in that the blanks are loaded with highly explosive powder to give the handgun the smoke and muzzle flash associated with having fired a live round.

Filming was taking place in Eric (Brandon's character) and Shelley's apartment. The scene called for Brandon to enter a room where actor Michael Massee was to shoot him using a revolver loaded with blanks. Brandon, wearing black leather jacket and boots, and a t-shirt bearing the prophetic phrase "Hangman's Joke" entered the room carrying a sack of groceries. As the .44 caliber revolver fired from about 12-15 feet away, Brandon set off the "squib" which is supposed to simulate bullets hitting the grocery bag. Brandon then collapsed to the floor, bleeding profusely from his right side. Many later commented that they noticed he did not hit the floor in the same manner as he had in rehearsals. Brandon groaned and signaled with his arm that he was hit but everyone was too busy with his individual roles to notice. The director yells "cut" but Brandon doesn't get up

http://www.franksreelreviews.com/sho...brandonlee.htm
Old 03-27-06, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unusual_deaths

For my money, any list of unusual deaths that doesn't include Jon-Erik Hexum is an incomplete list.
Old 03-27-06, 01:31 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I remember that. He was on a show with some kid that was about time travel.
Old 03-27-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
Yes, I remember that. He was on a show with some kid that was about time travel.
It was called Voyagers. It was a pretty cool series about a time traveller (Hexum) whose job it is to go through history fixing things that went wrong. Hexum's character doesn't know anything about history, but he hooks up with a kid (Meeno Peluce) who is a history whiz. I really wish it would come out on DVD.

After Voyagers was cancelled, Hexum was cast in a series called Cover Up, about fashion photographers who are secretly spies. On the set of that show, Hexum shot himself in the head with a gun loaded with blanks, apparently not realizing that blanks are still ejected from the barrel with enough force to cause serious injury at point blank range.
Old 03-27-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd have to add "being virtually decapitated by an NFL Hall of Famer".
Old 03-28-06, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by whynotsmile
that video of that news reporter chick who killed herself. anyone have that. I've seen that politician one before, but not her.
As far as I know, there's no video of that in circulation. There was a very long article, written in '74, about her and her death in PDF on a professor's journalism class website, but I can't find it.
Old 03-28-06, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.manship2.lsu.edu/perkins/...hubbucknew.pdf